Blood Glucose Meters

bdubya55
bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
Have a question or comment regarding your meter, testing results or test strips? Share your experience here.

Replies

• bdubya55
    I'm currently using the Wal-Mart Prime glucose meter and testing strips.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Also using the WalMart ReliOn Prime monitor. It has been very accurate, was reasonably priced, and strips cost $9 for 50. A good deal.
  • bdubya55
    A,good deal, accurate and economical indeed retiree! Very nice little meter.
  • mzhrrs13
    mzhrrs13 Posts: 25 Member
    Currently using Kroger Premium OnSync meter....no problems here. I get a smiley face when I am within range and the test strips (50 count) is only $18.99 compared to $60 plus bucks for the One Touch Ultra (50 count)!!:happy:
  • Shannon3n88
    Shannon3n88 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been using the OneTouch UltraMini for 4-5 years now. I don't really know how accurate it is as I've never used any other type for comparison!
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    I'm using the ACCU-CHEK Performa. Seems to be OK been using it about a year, have changed the battery once. Strips are 20JOD for 50, which I buy. A bit expensive when you consider the average wage here. I've also seen the ONE TOUCH here too, strips about the same price.
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm using Reli-On prime & I think its great! I had a problem with it a couple of days ago when I left it in the car overnight and the temp went below freezing. I called the manufactuer to ask what tests I could do somts to test the accuracy of the results. & instead they are going to send me out a new meter. AWESOME!
  • I've been using the Bayer Contour Next and forgot to order more strips. So I bought the ReliOn model and boy is it high and all over the place. The strips asre reasonable but I persoanlly think the accuracy is way off on mine. I can take it 3 times in 15 minutes and it goes from 98 to 124 to 110. Not just once but several times.

I order my Bayer stips on Amazon because they are less than 1/3 of the price from other places. I can't wait for them to arrive and this time I've been sure that I have enough.

Also going to try and find some control solution for the ReliOn to check it out. My local Walmart did not have any. Go figure.

Wish my ticker would start working again.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Im using Accucheck Aviva, only because thats the one my insurance company will pay a portion of the test strip cost. The strips end up costing me $12 for 50 out of pocket. I had a touch one before I found out the insurance wouldnt pay for that brand strips (i dont know why) So I tested with both meters one day from the same prick and they were about 10 off each time. Who knows which one was right!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Even with the 'good' meters I've found there can be variance between two tests taken in a row.

I have the FreeStyle Freedom Lite as my main meter. That is the one insurance buys strips for. However I also have the ReliOn Ultima. This is one of the Walmart meter with low cost strips. I keep this one in my purse and use it if I'm not at home. It has also come in handy when I've run out of strips for my main meter before insurance would cover more. It was less expensive to get the ReliOn and its strips than to purchase FreeStyle strips out of pocket. The ReliOn numbers do not seem too different from my Freedom Lite.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    I have a meter problem. I am traveling. I ate lunch at 11:30 yesterday. Did some walking. Had 9 mini pretzels at 3:30pm

took BS at 10:00pm came in 118 took 20 units lantus insulin.

Woke up at 6:00am BS 145?

What happened?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I've been using the OneTouch UltraMini for 4-5 years now. I don't really know how accurate it is as I've never used any other type for comparison!

I use the same; I've had mine about 2.5 years. My endocrinologist always checks my bs at every appointment, so I bring mine along sometimes and check along with theirs (it's always a different meter). It's only been off by a few points each time, so I consider it pretty accurate. Through my insurance I get 300 strips for $50.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    My main meter is the Freestyle Lite. Was on a trip in January and forgot my meter, so I stopped and bought the Walmart ReliOn Ultima. I noticed the Ultima seems to read higher than the Freestyle by about 10 points. Since I only use it traveling I wasn't sure if it was the change in routine or it really is different.

I was at a Diabetes Fair this week and spoke to one of the reps from one of the manufacturers. She said that most of the store brand generic meters measure whole blood glucose while the name brand meters measure plasma glucose. She said plasma glucose levels are closer to what you would get in a lab test. I didn't realize there were two measuring methods that yielded different results.

Even though the strips are more expensive, I'll stick with my Freestyle Lite so that my numbers are consistent. If I use the ReliOn I'll make sure to use it both before and after a meal so that the same technique is used and I'm getting a difference due to the food I ate, not the testing methods.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I have the True Balance meter because it was the one given to me free by my doctor when I got diagnosed along with a few months worth of strips. I need to start shopping around for strips now because the freebies are just about out. Does anyone know about Medicare and testing supplies? I am new to Medicare too.
  • bdubya55
    http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/blood-sugar-monitors.html

http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/blood-sugar-test-strips.html

Hope the above links may offer you some help.

Additionally, Walmart sells their ReliOn brand of economical blood sugar meters and test strip products for diabetes self care proven to be accurate, economical and efficient by my experience.
  • bdubya55
    Even with the 'good' meters I've found there can be variance between two tests taken in a row.

I have the FreeStyle Freedom Lite as my main meter. That is the one insurance buys strips for. However I also have the ReliOn Ultima. This is one of the Walmart meter with low cost strips. I keep this one in my purse and use it if I'm not at home. It has also come in handy when I've run out of strips for my main meter before insurance would cover more. It was less expensive to get the ReliOn and its strips than to purchase FreeStyle strips out of pocket. The ReliOn numbers do not seem too different from my Freedom Lite.

Glad to learn you didn't find much of a difference when comparing the ReliOn meter to the Freestyle Freedom meter, as I've recently changed my health insurance and the Freestyle Freedom is their preferred choice.
  • bdubya55
    I have the True Balance meter because it was the one given to me free by my doctor when I got diagnosed along with a few months worth of strips. I need to start shopping around for strips now because the freebies are just about out. Does anyone know about Medicare and testing supplies? I am new to Medicare too.

Hope this link helps you earlnabby;

http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/diabetes-supplies-and-services.html
  • Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    if you go into your pharmacy and tell the pharmacist that you have been diagnosed with diabetes they may give you a moniter for free. Also you should check with your health insurance company because there are some supplies that they dont cover because they are too expensive.
    I have had several differnet types. the best one Ive had is the One Touch or Accu-Check. The Accu-Check test strips are expensive.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    I use the freestyle lite meter, the company will give you one and free batteries. The will also give you a card for $50 off of strips per month. So mine are $15 for 100 after insurance and the card. For more info go to their website.
  • I use the Verio One Touch. I am getting blood work done this month and they are going to test it to see how accurate it is. I have had a couple of times where it seems way out of whack though. I did one test one day that had me at 10.0 mmol/L, which seemed high for me, so I washed my hands and tested again. It went down to 9.5 mmol/L. For the heck of it, I tested on my other hand, on a different finger, and it was down to 8.0 for that one. So not really sure what happened that day.

One of my biggest pet peeves with the One Touch is trying to get the information out of it. I am a software/app junkie, and while the One Touch comes with software, it is only available for the PC. I was going to switch over to the One Touch Synch because it is supposed to automatically send your information to your iPhone or iPad, but the app for it is not available in Canada. And I have hear it will only store the last 14 days. I am starting to think Verio has something against Canadian Mac users…

For now I am going to stick with it because I am used to it. I have health care, so they cover my strips for me. And I found a god iPad app to help me track things, but it is frustrating not being able to use the software.

I have been considering the new Bayer one, that gives you second chance testing f you don't get enough blood the first time.