I ran a half marathon and didn't die!

JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
Ask my MFP friends...they'll tell you I was worried I would!

My previous longest race was a 5k. I decided around Christmas that in 2014, I wanted to run a half and maybe even a full. I started increasing my runs, while looking for that perfect race that would be a good first experience.

I found Run the Bluegrass in Lexington, KY. What an awesome race! It's a totally rural race, and you run past some of the biggest horse farms in KY. Amazing. Really beautiful. The crew was FANTASTIC and the volunteers amazing.

The only part that sucked? The weather. OMG. The weather. As soon as the gun sounded, it started raining. By mile 5, a downpour. By mile 7, I had puddles inside my shoes. At mile 12, the temperature suddenly dropped and I couldn't feel my hands as I ran across the finish line.

The course was HILLY. I knew it would be, but I didn't fully understand how incredibly steep they were. So steep, so so steep. I had done a lot of incline work on the treadmill in my training, and I was actually pretty proud of how well I was able to tackle those hills.

I finished in 2:55. My goal was to finish in less than 3 hours, and I just squeaked it in. I'm super happy with my time. Two years ago, I went for my first run and couldn't make it to our mailbox. Today, I ran 13 miles.

I went by myself, so no pics of me, but here's my SUPER AMAZING finisher medal:

finisher_zps5b4caa3f.jpg

Replies

• onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    that's a perfect finisher's medal for you :)

great job!!

I remember my first half. Never so happy as to reach the finish - then collapsed under a tree at the finish with a pile of pizza slices .
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Amazing!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Well done!!! Bet you feel amazing.
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    That is so awesome!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Good for you, good time for a first . You have a good medal too. I can relate to your concerns.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    :drinker:
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Good for you, that is amazing.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    That's Awesome! Congratulations!
  • Elainaf
    Elainaf Posts: 17 Member
    That is awesome, so proud of you. Do you have a next one scheduled : }
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Congrats!!!!!! There really is no better feeling than when you cross that finish line!!!! Way to set a goal and push yourself!!!
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Nice Medal! I am running 11 miles tomorrow as part of my marathon training, so this was a nice post to read :)
  • morn1ngstarr
    morn1ngstarr Posts: 27 Member
    OMG thats so Amazing.. So happy for you!!!
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Congratulations, that's a great achievement. (and a lovely medal too) :drinker:

You have spurred me on for my first 10k tomorrow!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS! Yay! I am so very ecstatic for you. I can't imagine how awesome you feel (you know... minus the soreness and fatigue). Still six weeks.before mine, but I can't wait to share it with you after! You rock!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    that is so awesome!!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    You. Are. A. STUD!!!

Keep up the good training, great racing, and not dying. Very impressive!!!
  • applecheeksaz
    applecheeksaz Posts: 86 Member
    Great Job!!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    That's awesome. Congrats on you run and finishing so quickly.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Wow! That's so awesome! You are the bomb!!! :)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Well done! You are a total inspiration! You deserve a Chuck Norris gif! LOL

YKWHpNv.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!