Runners Advice!

Good morning MFP,

I got up this morning for my weekly long run (14KM planned today) in training for a half on June 1st, and due to some excruciating upper back pain (there's a history or injury) I made the difficult decision to not run or do any exersice today and let my back get the rehab it needs.

Because I'm on a plan, should I try to "make up" my long run later in the week? Or just do my normal mid week runs and do 15KM next Sunday? Basically if I do that, I will have done 1week 13KM, 1week nothing and 1 week 15KM.

I haven't missed a long run yet so I'm not sure if missing a week and upping miletage the week after puts me at even more injury risk.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    If you can hit your short runs during the week, just do whatever is planned for next week. Compressing your workout schedule is just adding extra stress to the injury and risking further aggravation. Missing one long run isn't the end of the world.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I wouldn't jump from 13km to 15 on your long runs - best to increase that distance very gradually. So I'd aim for 14 next week.

Recovery is very important - you take care of yourself.
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    I thought so. After reading my post when I posted it I realized that I may be over thinking it. No one didn't get to run their race because they missed their 6th of 13 scheduled long runs.

Turns out the sky isn't falling.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member

It is not falling at all. There are always setbacks during training. One long run will not make or break race day. Make sure you take care of yourself so you can continue the training, and if that means skipping a run, so be it!
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Thanks all! My mind is now at ease as I lay on my back and count my ceiling tiles!!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    I too am training for a half-- mine is only 6 days before yours. I ended up taking 3 weeks off early in my program because of shin splints that were horrible, horrible, horrible! I trimmed out one of my mid week runs and depending on how my legs feel I might do half of my midweek miles on the erg. All of my long runs are on my feet. Even with the three weeks off and the rowing, I am right back on track.

Take care of your back now while it's still early so it doesn't just get worse and worse.

Good luck with your training and your race!
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Don't worry about it just carry on with your plan.

I missed 2 weeks in my HM training plan over xmas due to an achillies injury but still managed my 2 HM's this month.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

It is not falling at all. There are always setbacks during training. One long run will not make or break race day. Make sure you take care of yourself so you can continue the training, and if that means skipping a run, so be it!

:drinker: