Question for runners about compression socks

toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Does anyone wear compression socks? Every day the arches my feet hurt so badly, they throb painfully and sometimes makes it hard to sleep. I'm definitely not new to exercising, and I've never had a desk job (have waitresses for the last almost 20 years), so I'm used to being on my feet. But the pain hasn't been like this until the last few months. I'm wondering if compression socks would help. Do you wear them only at night? Just after running? During running? Does it help?

I know it may be due to my gym shoes, so I am replacing them with a pair of Brooks shoes next week (my friend gets an awesome deal on them, I can't wait!) At the last 5k I did, Brooks was there and they did a gait test and analysis of my arch and how my foot strikes, etc. So I'm hoping that will help. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    I am not familiar with compression socks. I would suggest use a tennis ball or golf ball on your arches. Put tennis ball in a sock and roll on the foot until you feel pressure. Hold for 30 seconds and move it around. If the pain continues, check with your Doctor.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    It sounds a little like you could have plantar facsiitis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

There are some sock-type things you can get that hold your toes back while you sleep so as to kind of stretch the under side of your foot... read some stuff and see what you think. I use compression calf sleeves and have used compression socks and I don't think they're what you need for foot pain.

And yeah... new shoes will be great.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Definitely not plantar fasciitis, I've had that before, and it was almost unbearable. This is moreso in the arches.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: being a waitress, going to the doctor is not an option. ????
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    As a waitress it could be more of an arch support issue then. I wonder if a simple drugstore orthotic-type insert would help at all for extra arch support in your work shoes.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Aching in MY arches is almost always a shoe issue.
    What kind are you wearing? How long have you had them? and Have you ever been fitted?

Minimalist shoes despite being insanely comfy for lifting, general gym activities and just kicking around make me feet and calves ache SO bad. I usually get a neutral cushion shoe, rip out the OEM insole and use an athletic insert.

As for compression socks, I have used them but for the most part (at least for athletes) they are intended to be used during activity. If you have poor circulation or varicose veins you can use them for that. Unlikely that they will help with your achy feet though. (Article- http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/recovery/do-compression-socks-really-work_62611)

Also, I second the tennis ball OR my favorite. I push my fingers between my toes like I'm holding hands with my foot and squeeze pushing my toes back and forth. It feels AWESOME.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    So when they done the gait analysis did they advise a neutral or anti-pronation shoe, I would recommend going to a running shop to get the gait analysis done and run on the treadmill with the different types of shoes on.
    Great that Brooks done the analysis for you but if they didn't give you the results you could still be buying the wrong shoes and making it worse, I run in Brooks and from my gait analysis I know that I pronate so I have a shoe with the support built in to cut down on this, however there are other brooks running shoes that don't have the support I need and they would cripple me.
    Running shoes only last about 400-600miles and those miles can rack up before you realise, my road running shoes are used only for that, they don't go to the gym, they don't walk to the shops, if I'm not running in them they don't get worn (walked every where in my first pair and had to replace them within 6mnths)

Whilst your friend might be able to get you a deal on them they'll still work out very expensive if they cause an injury and you can't work!!

Compression gear should be worn whilst you're exercising, it helps the blood flow to the area and therefore increases performance (know people that love it and people that hate it), I have a compression long sleeved top (I love it because it keeps me warm when I'm running outside and it's -10degrees)!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Aching in MY arches is almost always a shoe issue.
    What kind are you wearing? How long have you had them? and Have you ever been fitted?

Minimalist shoes despite being insanely comfy for lifting, general gym activities and just kicking around make me feet and calves ache SO bad. I usually get a neutral cushion shoe, rip out the OEM insole and use an athletic insert.

As for compression socks, I have used them but for the most part (at least for athletes) they are intended to be used during activity. If you have poor circulation or varicose veins you can use them for that. Unlikely that they will help with your achy feet though. (Article- http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/recovery/do-compression-socks-really-work_62611)

Also, I second the tennis ball OR my favorite. I push my fingers between my toes like I'm holding hands with my foot and squeeze pushing my toes back and forth. It feels AWESOME.
    This.

The shoe is VERY important. Make sure you've been checked to see if you're wearing the proper shoe (most running stores will do this), and make sure you aren't running in shoes you've had for years.

As well, if it continues, it may be worth it to see the doctor. Could this be something you could budget in?
    I couldn't imagine living in a country where I'd have to weight out costs of going to the doctor, that is so foreign to me.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Compression socks are not going to help with the arches. That is almost certainly a shoe issue. I recommend that you go to a running store and have a staff member look at how you walk and run. They will help pair you with a shoe that provides proper support for your particular foot strike. Switching to Brooks is not necessarily a bad idea, but just switching to any old pair of Brooks may not solve the problem.

Compression socks are good for improving circulation -- or so the lore goes. I've been using them for about a year and I will admit that the differences pre and post seem pretty minimal. I think I have better recovery and less overall fatigue, but that impression may simply be tainted by my desire to justify the $$ I spent on the socks.

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a good pair of shoes that are built for your gait. That will be money well spent.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    I wear compression socks. Not sure how much they really help and damn they are expensive. That said, it won't help your arches. They don't really have compression built in there. It is more around the top of the foot/ankle and depending on length, the calf. I sometimes wear them on log runs or after long runs. Not sure how much they really help though.

For arches...it's gonna be your shoes.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Compression socks/sleeves help me with my shins and aching calves on long runs. I don't bother with them for under 8 miles.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    i wear compression sleeves after my run. sometimes I wear them during but I'm only running 5Ks so there really isn't any need for them. I'll wear them next week when I up my run from 4.4miles to 5.2 miles. until I get used to it and up it again, then wear them again.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    i wear compression leggings.... history of varicose veins and peripheral artery issues in my family... that backflow of blood from exertion is important to manage
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    I have a pair that I wear for races, I wore them for my 6 hour Spartan race and I did find I wasn't as sore after compared to the Super Spartan I did, I don't know if they do anything to be honest. I don't see any difference for running, I did 22km with and without and felt no difference.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    i wear compression leggings.... history of varicose veins and peripheral artery issues in my family... that backflow of blood from exertion is important to manage

This is why I initially got them.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Oh, and I forgot to mention: being a waitress, going to the doctor is not an option. ????

[flame-on]
    I do not want to sound alarmist, nor harsh, but you CANNOT afford not to go to the doc. You are about to drop way more on shoes that may or may not solve your problem. Walk-in clinic in Nashville will set you back 35-60 dollars. How much will you spend on shoes? If you permanently damage your feet, but could have avoided it, you will be out far more than money. I am not going to engage in a political discussion about health care, but this is the wrong priority.
    [/flame-off]
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member

[flame-on]
    I do not want to sound alarmist, nor harsh, but you CANNOT afford not to go to the doc. You are about to drop way more on shoes that may or may not solve your problem. Walk-in clinic in Nashville will set you back 35-60 dollars. How much will you spend on shoes? If you permanently damage your feet, but could have avoided it, you will be out far more than money. I am not going to engage in a political discussion about health care, but this is the wrong priority.
    [/flame-off]

This.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I agree that the suggestion you may have plantar fasciitis makes sense. You should check it out.
    Compression socks won't help PF.
    Plus, I am not sure that the rationale behind compression socks for running has any credibility. I know that many people swear by them. But, old people and people with varicose veins wear compression socks because they venous system is compromised so the blood does not return up from their legs the way it should. That is not the case for runners, especially when they are running and the action of their muscles helps aid the veins. Runners (average, normal runners) do not have veins that bulge and give way. They don't have compromised valves in their veins.
    I have worn them and I noticed no difference, except that the compression may have caused a foot problem.
    That said, i do know of lots of people who say they wear them 'after' a run -- not during -- and it helps their recovery.