Full body training - looking for others

banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
So, here's the deal, I come from a football/rugby background. So I am used to varying my routines daily. I'm tired of running every day, but being a team sport kind of guy, I'm looking for others to share my workouts with.

So I am proposing we group up, and take turns suggesting a different set of exercises 3 days a week.

Here's the thing though, they should be exercises that can scale forward or scale back for people's fitness level, either in intensity or duration. I'm talking about things that you generally don't need a full gym to do, that way we can apeal to the highest number of people.

Anyone else interested in doing this? It will basically allow us to motivate each other, and be "watchdogs" to each other.

-Banks

Replies

• banks1850
    So, here's the deal, I come from a football/rugby background. So I am used to varying my routines daily. I'm tired of running every day, but being a team sport kind of guy, I'm looking for others to share my workouts with.

So I am proposing we group up, and take turns suggesting a different set of exercises 3 days a week.

Here's the thing though, they should be exercises that can scale forward or scale back for people's fitness level, either in intensity or duration. I'm talking about things that you generally don't need a full gym to do, that way we can apeal to the highest number of people.

Anyone else interested in doing this? It will basically allow us to motivate each other, and be "watchdogs" to each other.

-Banks
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    I'm in.. I'm trying to find new workouts too.. I'm totally addicted to my step class (2 times a week), but that isn't enough.. I've been walking some and thinking about swimming again (I swam competitively in Jr High and High school)...

I think what you said about the exercises being 'scalable' is important though... I can hold my own, but not with all of you runners out here :bigsmile:

I've run a few 5Ks in my time, but like you, I prefer team sports and running (and swimming for that matter) are just too solitary.. (not to mention my knee flares up if I run too much) I'm a people person and prefer competition and group fitness..

so, I guess we'll see what happens! Good idea! :drinker:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I'm in as long as it doesn't count as cheating from my SBF group :tongue: It will be hard suggesting things everyone can do assuming no gym membership or equipment - but I like having people tell me what to do.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I'm in...but not sure exactly what you mean.

For instance, do you want suggestions like:
    Have a pick up game of ultimate Frisbee with your co-workers or specific exercises that can be done without any specific equipment, or links to websites that have interesting workouts? Or what else? Thanks.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    I am in I am tired of staring at a TV while doing the elliptical
  • banks1850
    LOL, Awesome guys!
    Team sports, while very fun and possibly very vigorous are too unpredictable to be a good judge of calorie burn.
    I was thinking something like, suggest an hour of nasty cardio with some resistance thrown in, things like that. For instance, a good routine could be something like (this is just an example):

-do a five minute warm up jog, and stretch out.
    -do ten wind sprints at a 30 yard distance, rest 2 minutes;
    -do pushups for 1 minute as fast as you can, rest 1 minute (if you can't keep going, do as many as you can then finish out the minute in the up position, it still works the core that way);
    -do 10 backpedal wind sprints at a 30 yard distance, rest 2 minutes;
    -do 10 crab crawls or seal crawls (your choice), rest 2 minutes;
    -do jumping jacks for 2 minutes with 30 seconds rest in between and after;
    -Do squat thrusts for 1 minute, 1 minute rest. If you can't do the whole minute, rest in the extended position.
    -Finish up with 10 more wind sprints at 30 yards.
    -do a 5 minute cooldown jog, and stretch out again after (this is important)

*This is a shortened version of my military workout. It's good, but you could easilly shorten most of these exercises either in distance or in duration, or you could lengthen the rest time in between.

It doesn't have to be so elaborate, it can be a single activity, but the idea is to mix it up, so get as creative as you can. Don't worry if you don't know a routine, the whole point is to try new, HARD stuff.

I'm down for anything, from pilates to log rolling, I don't care, as long as it's a killer burn and I can do it for an hour or so, I'm happy.
  • banks1850
    Anyone else interested?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I am interested.

I have been doing the same workout routine for months now and could use some new routines in my life. I have access to a gym, local school track and big open field in a park, so I think I can do whatever is suggested. A pool is the only thing I will need to plan carefully to be sure i can get to it when they have open swim.
  • banks1850
    Awesome pm!

So I propose this. We start and we do say 2 a week (we can decide on a time and day), and each one is a different person's idea. And we report after what we did. I'm excited about trying out other people's ideas. But if you guys want, we can start with one I do (the one above is pretty good).

Sound off folks, this is a work in progress, so we can adjust and edit it as we need.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    -do a five minute warm up jog, and stretch out.
    -do ten wind sprints at a 30 yard distance, rest 2 minutes;
    -do pushups for 1 minute as fast as you can, rest 1 minute (if you can't keep going, do as many as you can then finish out the minute in the up position, it still works the core that way);
    -do 10 crab crawls or seal crawls (your choice), rest 2 minutes;
    -do jumping jacks for 2 minutes with 30 seconds rest in between and after;
    -Do squat thrusts for 1 minute, 1 minute rest. If you can't do the whole minute, rest in the extended position.
    -Finish up with 10 more wind sprints at 30 yards.
    -do a 5 minute cooldown jog, and stretch out again after (this is important)

*This is a shortened version of my military workout. It's good, but you could easilly shorten most of these exercises either in distance or in duration, or you could lengthen the rest time in between.

And y'all think us MFP cycle gang members are nuts for pedaling 30/40/50 and up miles! uglygaga.gif
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member

Hey! I just now realized--I've done this! When I was 12 and playing soccer--fell and dislocated my wrist. Yet another reason to stick with bikes! rad2.gif
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Awesome pm!

So I propose this. We start and we do say 2 a week (we can decide on a time and day), and each one is a different person's idea. And we report after what we did. I'm excited about trying out other people's ideas. But if you guys want, we can start with one I do (the one above is pretty good).

Sound off folks, this is a work in progress, so we can adjust and edit it as we need.

I have done your military workout and it is kick *kitten* - so lets start with that one! we can actually do different varieties of that workout for the first couple of days just to get things started....

I guess we cannot incorporate swimming due to some not having access...
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I'm in. I have pretty much any equipment available (pac 10 university)
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Oh yeah I am in! Always looking for different ways to burn the same calories, lol! :glasses:
    I belong to a Health Club with all the different equipment, and space, needed for me to do just about *any* exercise! Well, as long as I don't hafta jump to conclusions or fly off the handle! :tongue: