P90x - All I can say is WOW!!!

Coming from a background of baseball/football all the way up until High School and baseball through college and briefly professional, I've come to the fork in the road and realize it's time for a change. Now I haven't worked out on a consistant basis for probably >10 years, but I've had spurts of brief fitness attempts. Now I've bitten the p90x bug and have been seeing the results others are getting & the results I too have been getting and must say I'm excited about what the future holds.

I will say it is not for the faint at heart, it will push you to your limits and you have to listen to your body. It is not a fitness regimen for someone who is just beginning their fitness routine with many decades of a sedentary lifestyle. In fact, if it were not for my background I probably would have quit after day one, instead I did what I could and paced myself. Now finishing up the first 3 weeks I've been able to increase wt/reps in all the activities and I already feel better. The only activity that kicks my butt everytime and I'm unable to complete the entire routine is yoga. I have so much more respect for those engaged in a yoga program. I'm going to stick with it though and will keep pressing play and bringing it......results to follow.

God bless,
Angelo

Replies

• p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Coming from a background of baseball/football all the way up until High School and baseball through college and briefly professional, I've come to the fork in the road and realize it's time for a change. Now I haven't worked out on a consistant basis for probably >10 years, but I've had spurts of brief fitness attempts. Now I've bitten the p90x bug and have been seeing the results others are getting & the results I too have been getting and must say I'm excited about what the future holds.

I will say it is not for the faint at heart, it will push you to your limits and you have to listen to your body. It is not a fitness regimen for someone who is just beginning their fitness routine with many decades of a sedentary lifestyle. In fact, if it were not for my background I probably would have quit after day one, instead I did what I could and paced myself. Now finishing up the first 3 weeks I've been able to increase wt/reps in all the activities and I already feel better. The only activity that kicks my butt everytime and I'm unable to complete the entire routine is yoga. I have so much more respect for those engaged in a yoga program. I'm going to stick with it though and will keep pressing play and bringing it......results to follow.

God bless,
    Angelo
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    I've heard A LOT about P90x..................

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

:happy:
  • p90x_Dude
    I've heard A LOT about P90x..................

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

:happy:

I'll keep you posted with some before and after photos :wink:
  • Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    My husband saw a commercial for the P90X, I think, and he was intrigued. I don't know if he would use it - maybe he was thinking of me using it! :laugh: Is it very expensive? Is it a DVD or what?
    Tell me more... (P90X should be glad they're not having to pay marketing fees here...)
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    my brother in law got this, and he said it was killer, he's in pretty decent shape too, i have the slim in 6 series, made by the same company but a little different, it too is an incredible workout, i'm gonna try the p90 to see how it goes, i like that you work a different part of the body each day, with the slim in 6 its a whole body workout each time. don't feel bad, my bro-in-law couldn't do the yoga part either, it's such a totally different workout it can be really difficult for people with a strong sports background i think, keep at it, you'll get better quickly
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    I too am a P90Xer. I am almost half way through the 90 days and I am loving the program. There is enough variety to minimize the boredom. I may not look like the guys on TV when I am done, but I am making good progress. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

JD
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    My husband saw a commercial for the P90X, I think, and he was intrigued. I don't know if he would use it - maybe he was thinking of me using it! :laugh: Is it very expensive? Is it a DVD or what?
    Tell me more... (P90X should be glad they're not having to pay marketing fees here...)

It is a great program, but it is for people who are in reasonable shape to start with and are no stranger to working out hard. They do modify many of the moves, so it makes it more accessible to people. There is also a P90 series, which I have heard is great training for the X part. Look them up and see for yourself
  • joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    My girlfriend and I have really wanted to do this after seeing the informercial on TV a few times. Even if we don't end up looking like the people at the end of the program, I think that it would be something that would definitely get us good shape. I've already lost around 15 pounds so I think I'm on my way towards being more fit so I feel like I would be able to start this program given my current routine. I do feel like it would kick my butt which would be good. I probably wouldn't have a problem with the yoga too much having done martial arts for a while and regular yoga every now and then. The only issue is the cost, and finding the space to do 60mins a day with a chin-up bar, etc. My house doesn't really have a space for that, and I could do it at my gym but there is not a chin-up bar in the workout room with the TV/VCR, it is in the weight room. I think that its pretty expensive too.

Questions:

-Are those who are doing it also following on the P90X diet plan that comes with it? (I'm sure that would help the cause but I'm not sure I want to change from my current plan which has been working well.)

-Does anyone know if these DVDs are copy protected and or how to get around that (if I wanted to get them just to try them out?)

Thanks!
  • p90x_Dude

It's a bit pricey, check craigslist too. It comes in DVD & VHS. It's 90 days of constant changing activities to work every muscle group including the heart. It's intense and worth every penny.
  • p90x_Dude
    I too am a P90Xer. I am almost half way through the 90 days and I am loving the program. There is enough variety to minimize the boredom. I may not look like the guys on TV when I am done, but I am making good progress. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

JD

Yes I may not look like them either, but I'm probably going to do the cardio version after the first 90 days. I sure will keep in touch, please do the same.

God bless
  • p90x_Dude
    My girlfriend and I have really wanted to do this after seeing the informercial on TV a few times. Even if we don't end up looking like the people at the end of the program, I think that it would be something that would definitely get us good shape. I've already lost around 15 pounds so I think I'm on my way towards being more fit so I feel like I would be able to start this program given my current routine. I do feel like it would kick my butt which would be good. I probably wouldn't have a problem with the yoga too much having done martial arts for a while and regular yoga every now and then. The only issue is the cost, and finding the space to do 60mins a day with a chin-up bar, etc. My house doesn't really have a space for that, and I could do it at my gym but there is not a chin-up bar in the workout room with the TV/VCR, it is in the weight room. I think that its pretty expensive too.

Questions:

-Are those who are doing it also following on the P90X diet plan that comes with it? (I'm sure that would help the cause but I'm not sure I want to change from my current plan which has been working well.)

-Does anyone know if these DVDs are copy protected and or how to get around that (if I wanted to get them just to try them out?)

Thanks!

As for the chin up bar I placed mine in my door way in my den. Takes up very little space and fits in the standard door way pretty easily. I tried copying the yoga DVD for a friend on my desktop this morning and it didnt' work. Try craigslist, I've seen people selling them relatively cheap.

As for the diet I refuse to believe everyone on the plan follows the diet to the T. I actually haven't followed it at all, I've cut out junk for the most part and am eating more veggies/fruits and lean meats. I've gotten muvh stonger in only 3 weeks. I just come home straght from work and get on it, I don't let anything/anyone keep me from gettin er done.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    My hubby has managed to copy them for a friend. Don't know how, I know we have all sort of equipment here so maybe it is cheaper to buy the dvds:wink:

And some peeps do follow the nutrition to a tee. However, any change you make for the better will have an impact! So if you cut out junk food,etc. there you go, you are eating "clean"
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    I have seen this program - seen a few people using it - think it's a great motivational tool.

However, if you don't want to spend the money you could go online and grab the workouts offered for circuit training or use the Workout of the Day offered on Crossfit. Anything that combines cardio/strength and resistence for 40 min will burn over 400 calories and help tone your body. Just more proactive if you have to search for it yourself.
  • FitShark
    FitShark Posts: 68
    I have completed on round of P90X, and loved it so much ! It is challenging but so rewarding to feel yourself change and be able to accomplish more and more each day, really....I have just started Week2 of a new version p90x+, and still, LOVE IT!

I did not get the complete package with the nutrition plan; and have been trying to just eat healthy, smart and in a satisfying way; and I lost about 20 lbs, have about 5-8 (depending on the day!) to go....

P90X is FAB-U-LOUS!
  • kitty6
    kitty6 Posts: 24
    My husband and I have wanted to get this for a while now, but couldn't afford it. Well, our oldest son just bought it, and I can't wait to start it. I have been doing Turbo Jam for 5 months now, and I'm ready to take it up a notch, or 2, or 3:wink:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Hmmmm I am definetly interested, but might not be an *ideal* candidate just yet (60+ lbs overweight). I DO workout 3-4 times a week, but that's mostly cardio on the orbiter, plus some strength on the circuit.
    Are there any url's you could give so that I could take a look?
    Mucho thanx, and good luck, keep us posted!
  • kitty6
    kitty6 Posts: 24
    if you just google P90X a whole bunch will come up to look at. And if you go on youtube and type P90X in the search some videos will come up that shows before and afters!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    I always stop and watch those infomercials LOL...it makes total sense....but for me and for right now I'm doing my own kinda thing...I use my turbo jam and tae bo tapes, run and do weight training....diet is basically as good as I can be LOL....and following the mfp guidelines.....If I get down another 20lbs I may try it for the last stretch of my goal....I'm glad you guys and gals like it!!!

hugs and thanks for the info ...best of luck!!!:drinker:
    Ali
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    I'm currently doing the Ten Minute Trainer right now..also by Beachbody and Tony Horton. I tried the p90x years ago but didn't finish it. I'm planning on starting it again right after I finish the ten minute trainer in three weeks. I'm ready for the challenge!!
  • p90x_Dude
    I have seen this program - seen a few people using it - think it's a great motivational tool.

However, if you don't want to spend the money you could go online and grab the workouts offered for circuit training or use the Workout of the Day offered on Crossfit. Anything that combines cardio/strength and resistence for 40 min will burn over 400 calories and help tone your body. Just more proactive if you have to search for it yourself.

I wish cossfit was offered near me, I'd have to travel about 1 hour.