HRM OR FITBIT???

What do you prefer and why?

Replies

• bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    both. separately they do not give a full picture.
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Two different things. Two different functions. I have, and use, both.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    I dont use my fitbit anymore, after using it every day i know how many steps i take average, it didnt change much from day to day. and the calorie burn isnt as accurate as a HRM.
    I use my Polar F7 every workout and it's been the best investment i've made.
  • myluvzs
    myluvzs Posts: 10 Member
    Oh OK I thought they did the same thing
  • myluvzs
    myluvzs Posts: 10 Member
    I have a hrm and I've loved it. All my friends just bought a fitbit and just trying to decide if I should join them. I think I'm going to stick with my hrm.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    It really depends on what you want to monitor. A HRM gives you data about your workout. A Fitbit gives you info about your whole day (and night, depending on the model). I have both and like the combo.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    HRM. I think the fitbit is an overpriced pedometer. It measures bariatric pressure for stairs and a lot of times won't even change when you walk up a flight of stairs. It counts steps every time it moves (ie people having problems on their bumpy commute to work) and if I wanted to know how I was sleeping I can tell by how I feel when I wake up. I don't think the fitbit is worth the money you pay for it.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    a fitbit is worth every freaking penny. no joke.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I have a hrm and I've loved it. All my friends just bought a fitbit and just trying to decide if I should join them. I think I'm going to stick with my hrm.

HRM gives you information about a specific workout. The calories reported are really only accurate for steady state cardio.

A Fitbit, gives you information about your day as a whole. Steps, distance traveled, approx calorie burn, stairs (One or Force), and Sleep (Flex, Force, & One).

I personally use both. With the combination:
    - I can see how active I really am on any given day. (some days are down right depressing and others I've been pleasantly surprised)
    - I can get an estimate of how many calories I burn for the whole day (fitbit actually underestimates my calorie burn a bit)
    - I can log workouts where I used my HRM and replace the fitbit calorie burn with the HRM reported burn (essentially just correcting the calorie burn on fitbit for the duration of my workout)
    - My fitbit makes adjustments to my calorie goal here on MFP depending on how active or lazy I was on any given day.