Daily Check-in and Chat

Replies

• karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    I squeezed in a home workout yesterday... Those walking X-band looked SOOO easy but I could definitely feel it in my glutes! Same with the seated band abduction! I think I'll do those more often, I loved them! I'm not sore today though.

Now on to workout B tonight! :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I squeezed in a home workout yesterday... Those walking X-band looked SOOO easy but I could definitely feel it in my glutes! Same with the seated band abduction! I think I'll do those more often, I loved them! I'm not sore today though.

Now on to workout B tonight! :)

I love those x-band thingies. :heart:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I just did workout C of week 9 and oh how I love the step up/reverse lunge combo. It is two of my least favourite exercises put together.
  • singingflutelady
    Most people I know bench press higher weights than they can incline press.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    freckles & karine - Welcome!

Gigi - How is your cutting going now that you've ended your bulk?

mpeery - Yay! for no more knee pain

dandelion - Hope your home is finally virus free

karine - I get in 3 in a week mostly. Never more than that, no time.

singing - I HATE zercher squats. For some reason, sometimes, depending on how I place the bar, I feel like I've placed it on a nerve and my hand starts to GO NUMB! The squats are great for core work though, that's where I felt it the most. But not sure I'm going to do these again.

So ladies, I'm finally finished with this program . I'm tempted to do it again but I'm moving to something else first and then I'll come back. I just can't repeat a program back to back. I've tried that before (with NROL) and stopped a couple weeks into the repeat. I have to do something new to maintain my motivation. Think I'm going to try NROLSupercharged just because I like the NROL series. Any program I do though I will definitely be including the glute dominant exercises from SC because getting a nice butt is definitely a priority for me. As for my results, I'll post them in a new thread in a few. Also, I will still be checking in here to post my butt progress and to keep up with you lovely ladies.

Have a good week everybody!
  • singingflutelady
    I used a sissy pad yesterday and got those Zerchers up to 115 :)
    I'll be done in 3 weeks and I am going to be doing Nia Shank's new program 54321 afterwards. Nia is my idol and love her stuff :)

http://www.niashanks.com/54321-strength-program/
  • klb0809
    klb0809 Posts: 91 Member
    Hi everyone I joined this group a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking around since then. I want to start but I am not even sure how to do so. I am a little confused as to the format of the workouts but I will figure it out. I want to do it at home but don't have the equipment but a planet fitness is opening across the street from my house very soon so I am considering joining there but I heard they don't really have a free weights section.
  • __freckles__
    Hi everyone I joined this group a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking around since then. I want to start but I am not even sure how to do so. I am a little confused as to the format of the workouts but I will figure it out. I want to do it at home but don't have the equipment but a planet fitness is opening across the street from my house very soon so I am considering joining there but I heard they don't really have a free weights section.

Welcome! Yeah PF won't have all the equipment you'll need. But Bret included an at-home workout version in the book so definitely check that out!
  • __freckles__
    So ladies, I'm finally finished with this program . I'm tempted to do it again but I'm moving to something else first and then I'll come back. I just can't repeat a program back to back. I've tried that before (with NROL) and stopped a couple weeks into the repeat. I have to do something new to maintain my motivation. Think I'm going to try NROLSupercharged just because I like the NROL series. Any program I do though I will definitely be including the glute dominant exercises from SC because getting a nice butt is definitely a priority for me. As for my results, I'll post them in a new thread in a few. Also, I will still be checking in here to post my butt progress and to keep up with you lovely ladies.

Ah, I missed your post somehow. Can't wait to see the result photos! Good luck wiht NROLSupercharged - I've heard great things about it. :)
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Hi ladies! I have a quick (and likely very stupid :p) question..

I've been doing the bodyweight hip thrusts (workout A, beginner) but I actually have been using weight (the bar with the weights attached, not the actually barbell you can load and unload if that makes sense) and I'm up to 50 lbs. My question is, I feel like I can do quite a bit more than that....but getting into position and getting the weight situated is the hard part lol..how do you do all that when you want to hip thrust a high weight that you can't necessary lift with your upper body?? I feel like a dork struggling to get the thing into my lap lmao XD
  • __freckles__

I've been doing the bodyweight hip thrusts (workout A, beginner) but I actually have been using weight (the bar with the weights attached, not the actually barbell you can load and unload if that makes sense) and I'm up to 50 lbs. My question is, I feel like I can do quite a bit more than that....but getting into position and getting the weight situated is the hard part lol..how do you do all that when you want to hip thrust a high weight that you can't necessary lift with your upper body?? I feel like a dork struggling to get the thing into my lap lmao XD

This is not a stupid question at all. What you can do is stack a couple of extra plates lying flat on the floor on each side of the barbell. Then load up your bar so the plates rest on top of the extra ones. That should give you enough room to squeeze your legs under.

Does that make sense? I once saw a video of Bret demonstrating how to do this but can't find it now. :grumble:
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member

This is not a stupid question at all. What you can do is stack a couple of extra plates lying flat on the floor on each side of the barbell. Then load up your bar so the plates rest on top of the extra ones. That should give you enough room to squeeze your legs under.

Does that make sense? I once saw a video of Bret demonstrating how to do this but can't find it now. :grumble:

Thank you!!!!
  • karinefitness
    What freckles said!!
    I use some low aerobic steps on both sides, put the barbell on and then I proceed with the hip thrusting ;)
  • __freckles__
    So I started the Weeks 5-8 Advanced workout last night. YAY for having bench back in my life! I haven't done it in 5 weeks and I've lost some strength. Hoping my muscle memory is working at full blast so I can get back to where I was lifting before. I don't have an ab wheel so I subbed with some regular ol' planks. So happy the hip thrusts are down to 8 reps. 20 was getting a little crazy and with 8 I can load up more on the bar so I think I did 95 last night. Everything else was really fun!

Question: anyone do accessory work in addition to the program? I think the program is lacking attention to the biceps/triceps so I usually do a couple of extra lifts to target those muscles.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Just dropping by to say I'm still alive! In had planned to switch to a full body workout based off the book's template but work has been sucking the mlife out of me mentally and physically, so I've been pretty much doing cardio as stress release instead of lifting. Been throwing in back extensions, assisted pull ups and dips but not much else.

Cutting has been easy since I've been so busy my TDEE is now kind of what my bulking cals were.My TDEE takes a huge dive in the winter and is way higher spring/summer.

freckles, Brett mentions adding 10 mins at the end of a workout to do any accessory stuff. I use to add calf stuff to keep them strong for my love of hill sprints. And I did my own upper since I was doing the glutes only program before - I usually did bicep or hammer curls and skullcrusher or tricep extensions.

Hoping to get some hip thrusts in soon. Things should settle down a bit in a week or so I think.
  • karinefitness

Question: anyone do accessory work in addition to the program? I think the program is lacking attention to the biceps/triceps so I usually do a couple of extra lifts to target those muscles.

I do!
    I'll throw in some hammer/bicep curls, as well as triceps exercices. Since I don't train chest, I substitute some of the chest exercices with arms. I'll also add 1-2 arms exercices at the end of the workout if I feel like it. I didn't see that Brett suggested adding 10 minutes at the end to do just that, thanks for the clarification GiGi!

I love training arms so much!
  • __freckles__
    freckles, Brett mentions adding 10 mins at the end of a workout to do any accessory stuff.

I'm sure I read that part in the book but forgot about it. Well that's good to hear cuz I'm doing it anyways. :)
  • karinefitness
    Can't wait to start phase 2!!! I have one week left... and then I have another week and I'm going on vacation for a week where I won't have access to a gym or anything really so I decided I'd take a week off (needed) then.

I'm not sure if I should start phase 2 next week, rest, and resume with phase 2 when I get back from vacation? Or maybe just do week 4 of phase 1 again instead and really start P2 once I come back. What would you do?

I'm a little excited about P2, so I'm leaning towards the first option... ;)
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    I had the same situation with vacation. I decided to start the next phase because I was so excited about it. When I came back I started mid-week, so I will actually do this phase 5 1/2 weeks. I'm glad that I spent the time in the next phase because it was more challenging, and I could think about it on my vacation. (I did no weights on vacation, only hiking and snorkeling.)

Hope you have a great vacation!
  • __freckles__
    Can't wait to start phase 2!!! I have one week left... and then I have another week and I'm going on vacation for a week where I won't have access to a gym or anything really so I decided I'd take a week off (needed) then.

I'm not sure if I should start phase 2 next week, rest, and resume with phase 2 when I get back from vacation? Or maybe just do week 4 of phase 1 again instead and really start P2 once I come back. What would you do?

I'm a little excited about P2, so I'm leaning towards the first option... ;)

If I were you I would just repeat another week of P1 and start P2 when you get back. That way you don't mess with your progress with the week of vacation. Just MHO.

And I started P2 last week and I'm kind of wah wah about it. I liked workout A, but B & C blew. Not liking some of the new exercises. Will stick with it and hopefully this week it'll grow on me.