What heavy weights can do for you (pix!)

pettychia
pettychia Posts: 109 Member
I started weight training in September after I'd lost 65 pounds and ended up "skinnyfat." Still kind of flabby but with a low-normal BMI. Here's what 6 months of heavy weight training has done. There is only a -4.5 lb difference between the first photo and the last; I lost a bunch of fat and gained a ton of muscle and got smaller, tighter, and leaner.

I lift heavy, smartly. 3x/week for an hour at a time. Very little cardio. I've built enough muscle that my metabolism has skyrocketed; I have lost another 3 lbs since that last pic without meaning to and have bumped my target calorie range to 2650 this week to try and stop the loss (I'm actually attempting to bulk; my backside still has a lot of work to do).

So: this is what hard, heavy weightlifting can do for a skinnyfat lady with no experience. If I can do it, so can you.

Screen_Shot_2014_04_10_at_4_58_16_PM.png

Replies

• mtapia713
    mtapia713 Posts: 29 Member
    Love this!! Great work!
  • dtp1931
    dtp1931 Posts: 5 Member
    You look amazing !
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Woot woot! Amazing! Well done!
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Amazing!
  • pettychia
    Aw, thanks everyone *blush*
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    AMAZING.
    You look just incredible.

What is your weight lifting routine?
  • heikejacob4
    heikejacob4 Posts: 38 Member
    AMAZING.

+1

I want to start lifting but I don't know how to start, and I'm a little nervous about looking like a noob at the gym.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    congrats, you look awesome.

awesome seeing girls who love to lift
  • pettychia
    AMAZING.

+1

I want to start lifting but I don't know how to start, and I'm a little nervous about looking like a noob at the gym.

I'm following the program at bonytobombshell.com. They're not-quite launched (I was a beta tester) but they'll be rolling it out soon. It's meant for beginners and it works!
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    You look so great! Good job! :)
    I miss lifting so much. My older brother was my gym buddy and we lifted together it was so great, but sadly i cant till im cleared after my son is born.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    AMAZING.

+1

There are lots of programs - do some looking up on the interwebz. Stronglifts and Starting Strength are good places to begin. Also, check in with a trainer to help them pad it with assistance exercises, and make sure your form is correct :-)
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    This is awesome!! You look amazing! MFP girls who lift are so inspirational!! I need to do this!!!
  • pettychia
    This is awesome!! You look amazing! MFP girls who lift are so inspirational!! I need to do this!!!

Aw thanks :) You can do it!
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Great results! Way to go!!
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Well Done -Looking Great!
  • dmike03
    dmike03 Posts: 14 Member
    You look incredible!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Congrats!!!

You are the Bomb! Girl. Good for you!

Will you tell me what Heavy lifting if for you? Meaning what are some of lift and weights you are using.

I went to the website, but no indication about what "Heavy" will look like. I'm sorta of doing 5 x 5 now and wanted to compare the moves. Is it more like NROLFW moves or like 5 x 5.

You are really an inspiration. :flowerforyou:

For me, at my age, I know it will take a lot longer. :wink:
  • You go, girl! Wonderful results.
  • actiontime26
    actiontime26 Posts: 67 Member
    you look great! I love lifting weight! Your body really respond to that kind of workout. I'm waiting to lose about 15lbs and I get in to heavy lifting like you. With that result, I can't wait.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    I started weight training in September after I'd lost 65 pounds and ended up "skinnyfat." Still kind of flabby but with a low-normal BMI. Here's what 6 months of heavy weight training has done. There is only a -4.5 lb difference between the first photo and the last; I lost a bunch of fat and gained a ton of muscle and got smaller, tighter, and leaner.

I lift heavy, smartly. 3x/week for an hour at a time. Very little cardio. I've built enough muscle that my metabolism has skyrocketed; I have lost another 3 lbs since that last pic without meaning to and have bumped my target calorie range to 2650 this week to try and stop the loss (I'm actually attempting to bulk; my backside still has a lot of work to do).

So: this is what hard, heavy weightlifting can do for a skinnyfat lady with no experience. If I can do it, so can you.

Screen_Shot_2014_04_10_at_4_58_16_PM.png

:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!