What heavy weights can do for you (pix!)

Replies

• Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Inspirational
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Congrats!!!

You are the Bomb! Girl. Good for you!

Will you tell me what Heavy lifting if for you? Meaning what are some of lift and weights you are using.

I went to the website, but no indication about what "Heavy" will look like. I'm sorta of doing 5 x 5 now and wanted to compare the moves. Is it more like NROLFW moves or like 5 x 5.

You are really an inspiration. :flowerforyou:

For me, at my age, I know it will take a lot longer. :wink:

Aw thanks for your comments! I don't know what age you are, but I'm 35 -- no spring chicken :)

I'm not familiar with NROLFW or 5 x 5, I follow the advice of my trainer (see: bonytobombshell.com). It's 3 workouts per week, each full-body but with different lifts. Every 5 weeks the routine changes. Here is what I was lifting in my last week before that final pic was taken:

Deadlift: 5 x 135 lbs x 2 sets; 3 x 155 lbs x 2 sets; 1 x 165 lbs x 1 set
    Half-kneeling shoulder press: 8 x 22.5 lbs x 4 sets
    Offset dumbbell step-up: 15 x 40 lbs x 1 set; 15 x 35 lbs x sets
    Supinated seated row: 15 x 80 lbs x 3 sets
    Glute bridge (light): 12 x 210 lbs x 4 sets
    Ab wheel rollouts: 8 x 2 sets (day 1); 5 x 3 sets (day 3)
    Front squat: 4 x 125 lbs x 3 sets; 5 x 125 lbs x 2 sets
    Chin up: 6, 5, 5, 5, 4
    Glute bridge (mid): 8 x 255 lbs x 4 sets
    Dumbbell incline bench: 8 x 22.5 x 1 set; 5 x 25 lbs x 1 set; 10 x 22.5 x 1 set
    Waiter carry: 30 steps x 30 lbs x 2 sets
    Standing palloff press: 7 breaths x 80 x 2 sets on the FreeMotion which I think is actually 40 lbs
    Corset clench: 10 reps
    Glute bridge (heavy): 4 x 295 lbs x 5 sets
    Bench press: 4 x 95 lbs x 1 set; 4 x 90 lbs x 4 sets
    Back squat: 6 x 125 lbs x 3 sets; 12 x 115 lbs x 1 set; 15 x 95 lbs x 1 set

Since then, I've dropped a little bit on some of the weights since I had to take 2.5 weeks off from the gym because I got strep throat.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Nicely done!
  • how did you initially lose 65 pounds?
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Just amazing! My motivation to keep on lifting!
  • Amazing.
    I hope that this will show many women that weight lifting isn't gonna make them look like bodybuilders all of a sudden.
  • pettychia
    how did you initially lose 65 pounds?

Tracking, tracking, tracking. Counting every calorie. I measured everything (and do still) -- using cups and spoons, not a scale like a lot of people advocate. I'm sure scales are more accurate but I didn't have any trouble with using measuring cups & spoons. And for exercise I did the elliptical about 3x / week for 40 minutes at a time.
  • pettychia
    Amazing.
    I hope that this will show many women that weight lifting isn't gonna make them look like bodybuilders all of a sudden.

I know! I just read some quote from Tracy Anderson that said "women should never lift more than 3 pounds." HAH as if. http://willlevy.com/tracy-anderson-a-charlatan-and-a-stain-on-the-fitness-profession/
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    I need more pictures for...science...yeah...that's it, science...
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    awesome ! great job !
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    You. look. amazing! Wow!!
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    amazing. you look like you could be in the pages of "self" or "fitness" magazines. wowza.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    You look fantastic! Way to go and congrats on your hard work!
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Congrats!!!

Will you tell me what Heavy lifting if for you? Meaning what are some of lift and weights you are using.

I went to the website, but no indication about what "Heavy" will look like. I'm sorta of doing 5 x 5 now and wanted to compare the moves. Is it more like NROLFW moves or like 5 x 5.

Aw thanks for your comments! I don't know what age you are, but I'm 35 -- no spring chicken :)

I'm not familiar with NROLFW or 5 x 5, I follow the advice of my trainer (see: bonytobombshell.com). It's 3 workouts per week, each full-body but with different lifts. Every 5 weeks the routine changes. Here is what I was lifting in my last week before that final pic was taken:

Standing palloff press: 7 breaths x 80 x 2 sets on the FreeMotion which I think is actually 40 lbs

Since then, I've dropped a little bit on some of the weights since I had to take 2.5 weeks off from the gym because I got strep throat.

Wow, those are really heavy glute bridges. Forgive my ignorance, but how does that work? Is it just a barbell with 200-300 pounds on it? I google imaged "weighted glute bridges" but the majority of pictures show much lighter weights (less than 50 pounds).

What was your deadweight starting point?

Congrats on your results you look amazing!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Way to go on your hard work. I am looking forward to lifting :smile:
  • pettychia
    Congrats!!!

Wow, those are really heavy glute bridges. Forgive my ignorance, but how does that work? Is it just a barbell with 200-300 pounds on it? I google imaged "weighted glute bridges" but the majority of pictures show much lighter weights (less than 50 pounds).

What was your deadweight starting point?

Congrats on your results you look amazing!

It's a 45-lb barbell with 3 35-lb plates on each end, plus a couple smaller ones (I like the 35s because it puts the bar at the right height for me). I started these with dumbbells or single plates and moved to the barbell when that became too much for me to lift onto my lap. This pic is from a while ago and shows a 225-lb lift:
    Screen_Shot_2014_04_11_at_12_18_58_PM.png

I started deadlifts with just the 45-lb bar raised on the safety bars in the squat rack, like this:
    Screen_Shot_2014_04_11_at_12_15_47_PM.png
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing. This came at just the right time...as I have been doing lifting now for a couple months. It's hard to change your mind set when at every corner you have people telling you that you are going to look "manly" for lifting heavy.

Like, just today, a fellow said hello to me, and I know he meant well, but he said some questionable things. I mean, he started off by telling me that he sees how I am all over the gym (i.e. at the free weights and on the treadmill) and that he admires my persistence and that I've lost weight. But then as we were talking about lifting, he said that low weights with high reps will get me lean and that higher weights with less reps will build muscle. Uh..he also said that I don't have a petite frame :(

So thank you for this post. I will keep doing what I do, but every now and then (like today) I get discouraged and start to question of lifting is right for me. I have big fat arms (see photos) and I worry that they will only get bigger. *sigh*
  • raegrove
    raegrove Posts: 37 Member
    You are amazing! I am now in that position. "skinny-fat." You are a great motivator!
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    But then as we were talking about lifting, he said that low weights with high reps will get me lean and that higher weights with less reps will build muscle. Uh..he also said that I don't have a petite frame :(

"Bros" think they were born knowing everything about the gym. They're usually wrong. (I had one guy ask me: "Why do you lift so heavy? Are you angry?" I asked him if he'd ever asked a guy that.)

This guy? Wrong.

Keep doing what you're doing. Lift and lift whatever is heavy for you. Eat right. Repeat.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member

Keep doing what you're doing. Lift and lift whatever is heavy for you. Eat right. Repeat.

LMAO@ "are you angry"? Really??

I enjoy lifting and I'm gonna keep doing it. What's sad is this wasn't your typical younger bro guy. He was like 50+. Seemed nice enough, but older...so there you go. I'm sure girls still couldn't show their ankles in his day :P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!