[365-day streak] My Most Effective Recipe

Replies

• Love trying new things. Also glad that you can freeze it since it sounds like it makes a lot and I cook for one. I think I'll use ground turkey or veggie crumbles instead of the ground beef. Will let you know.
  • liltarn
    liltarn Posts: 18 Member
    Definitely a recipe I'll be trying. Thanks for posting.
  • tudazies
    tudazies Posts: 50 Member
    Sounds great thanks!
  • kellyj5201
    kellyj5201 Posts: 57 Member
    gonna add this to my menu for next week ! thanx
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    BUMP! for later - Thanks for sharing this!
  • robergebsr
    robergebsr Posts: 2 Member
    Going to try this. Thanks for the recipe~
  • 867Jen5309
    867Jen5309 Posts: 37 Member
    That sounds delicious!! Definitely going to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
  • Added it to my menu for next week, I'm going to mix ground turkey and chorizo. Yum!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    It sounds good. I'll try it! This recipe reminds me of one of my most effective recipes (for the same reasons). This is copied and pasted from some other thread so the "I" in the instructions is not me:

Barley Beef Skillet
    Source: Slightly adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients:
    1 pound 95% lean ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 can (14.5 oz) Beef Broth
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    1 cup water
    2 small carrots, chopped
    1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 small zucchini, chopped
    1 cup medium pearl barley
    2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
    1. I put my carrots and zucchini in my food processor to finely chop them and I liked the results so I recommend doing that first. I did chop the tomatoes and onions by hand with my awesome new Paula Deen knives (thanks Santa!)
    2. Bring a large skillet to medium heat and cook ground beef and onion together, breaking up meat until it is browned. Drain if necessary (it was for me). Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the broth, tomato sauce and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the vegetables, barley and seasonings.
    3. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes until barley is tender.

Yields 4 (1-½ c) servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 9 per serving
    Nutrition Info per serving calculated by myfitnesspal.com: 382 calories, 7 g fat, 49 g carbs, 32 g prot
  • SHINDY12
    SHINDY12 Posts: 53
    thanks, bump
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    bump
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Love new recipes that can be froze. I usually add chopped green / yellow peppers,celery,maybe carrots & mushrooms to beef dishes.Whatever is in the fridge.Maybe spinach or kale too.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    First and foremost, congrats on 365 days of logging food and exercise! Impressive! And what a nice way to celebrate, to give back to the community your favorite recipe. I will definitely try it!
  • attybell
    attybell Posts: 81 Member
    yum
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    Got more and how about snack ideas? 1200 Cal a day is going to be hard to stay with for 5 weeks!

You can do it! I stuck with 1200/day for three months. Lots of veggies (especially broccoli), lean meats (chicken breast, tuna), and the hardest part was staying away from the sweets/junk food. I find it easier to go "all or nothing" - just completely ban desserts except for one serving a week - because the "one bite a day" method just opened Pandora's box for me. Stick with it!
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Sounds good!
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    And I was just wondering how to get more beef in my diet!
  • maja124moxie
    maja124moxie Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks!
  • dantb32
    dantb32 Posts: 8 Member
    This looks good!
  • Sadiyyah70
    Sadiyyah70 Posts: 38 Member
    Congratulations on the streak! This looks so good...looking foward to trying it! Thanks and congrats again:drinker: