What heavy weights can do for you (pix!)

Replies

• WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Nice job! You look great!!!

Edited to add: I also lift heavy. I was hauling two fifty-five pound dumbbells to the flat bench and I guys asked my why I was cleaning up after others.

Me: I'm not cleaning up, I'm going to use these.
    Guy: Are you sure? They are really heavy, you know.
    Me: If I had a quality spotter, I'd be bench pressing 60 pound dumbbells - so, not as heavy as they could be.
    Guy: That's not right.
    Me: Whatever, I have to get back to my routine. (and then walked away)
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    But then as we were talking about lifting, he said that low weights with high reps will get me lean and that higher weights with less reps will build muscle. Uh..he also said that I don't have a petite frame :(

"Bros" think they were born knowing everything about the gym. They're usually wrong. (I had one guy ask me: "Why do you lift so heavy? Are you angry?" I asked him if he'd ever asked a guy that.)

This guy? Wrong.

Keep doing what you're doing. Lift and lift whatever is heavy for you. Eat right. Repeat.

Funny thing about that- Gwyneth Paltrow's personal trainer evidently has gone on record saying women should never lift anything heavier than 3 pound dumbbells. She has Gwyneth doing *hundreds* of reps with light weights. Wish she would take a tour through some of these posts. She'd probably crap her pants seeing what OP does.
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing. This came at just the right time...as I have been doing lifting now for a couple months. It's hard to change your mind set when at every corner you have people telling you that you are going to look "manly" for lifting heavy.

Like, just today, a fellow said hello to me, and I know he meant well, but he said some questionable things. I mean, he started off by telling me that he sees how I am all over the gym (i.e. at the free weights and on the treadmill) and that he admires my persistence and that I've lost weight. But then as we were talking about lifting, he said that low weights with high reps will get me lean and that higher weights with less reps will build muscle. Uh..he also said that I don't have a petite frame :(

So thank you for this post. I will keep doing what I do, but every now and then (like today) I get discouraged and start to question of lifting is right for me. I have big fat arms (see photos) and I worry that they will only get bigger. *sigh*

Lifting makes you smaller not bigger! Muscle takes up less room than fat for the same "weight." The more muscle you build, the more efficient your body is at metabolizing food. Keep doing what you're doing!
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Oh WOW, what a FABULOUS job you've done !

I too am at the "skinny fat" crossroads (loose skin where excess fat used to live, weak arms, legs and mid-section). Recently joined a Les Mills Body Pump class & absolutely love the workout I get from it. I'd like to do more than just this specific class (once a week) to gain some strength & muscle tone but am afraid I'll "bulk-up" (I'm only 5'2").

Your progress pics show that it IS possible to gain strength/muscle tone without adding unnecessary bulk with the proper weight/routine !

Thank you for sharing :)
  • KatiCoufal
    KatiCoufal Posts: 35 Member
    What is a corset clench and a waiter carrier?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Wowza, you look incredible! Fantastic work :) *fist-bump* for heavy lifting!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...I'd like to do more than just this specific class (once a week) to gain some strength & muscle tone but am afraid I'll "bulk-up"...

< I've been lifting heavy for a few years now and I'm not bulky. I probably don't even look like I lift.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. ^5
  • pettychia
    What is a corset clench and a waiter carrier?

Corset clench is my trainer's name for the cat vomit exercise. I have not done a single crunch, do these instead (and ab wheel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejm0cGqv3Y

Waiter carry is this (I use a dumbbell, not a kettlebell but that would work too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDD4-R4YvMM
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    < I've been lifting heavy for a few years now and I'm not bulky. I probably don't even look like I lift.

You sure don't look bulky on your profile pic, thanks for the reassurance :)
  • You look amazing.. How long did it take you from your first photo to the last one ?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    where is the typical fine print I read all the time * Not typical results. lol
  • pettychia
    You look amazing.. How long did it take you from your first photo to the last one ?

6 months!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    love love love this! Great work :D
  • Elvirka_xoxo
    Elvirka_xoxo Posts: 58 Member
    You look incredible!
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    thank you so much for posting this. I just started lifting and have been so discouraged as I barely can do a few squats with the bar on my shoulder. Can't even do one single push up. When I leave the gym I sometimes think "there is no way I can do this" . You have given me hope that it is doable . I just cannot understand why lifting seems so difficult and foreign to me, despite the fact that I love other exercise such as running and spinning.
    Thank you for the encouraging post, you look great. I am sure you will inspire many of us.
  • pettychia
    thank you so much for posting this. I just started lifting and have been so discouraged as I barely could do a few squats with the bar on my shoulder. Couldn't even do one single push up. When I left the gym I thought "there is no way I can do this" . You have given me hope that it is doable . Thank you for the encouraging post and congrats, you look great.

Thank you! I started from near zero too. I was doing push-ups off a wall and "sumo" squats with dumbbells -- not even with the bar yet. Start little and build up :)
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    I sure will. The funny thing is , it took me a while to work up the nerve to ask someone at the gym how to use the squat rack. So when I finally had enough courage, the guy at the front desk went with me. I sheepishly pointed at the rack and said "this is the squat rack, right?". He pointed at the barbells with the little weights on it and said "this might be a better option for you (I'm sure he meant well)". So I explained to him that no I did not intend on playing with Barbie weights that I wanted to lift weights. He looked at me as if I had come from Mars and said "so you want to do body building" I told him, no I hate lifting and I would like to make it as effective and short as possible so combination exercises such as the ones in NROL or some of the ones you are doing are probably the best way to go.
    He showed me how to set the rack and I went home. That evening I came back and circled the room several times and finally just decided to get it over with and get started. It didn't look pretty, I started sweating while I was warming up thinking I am going to die.
    Being the only female in the free weight section didn't help either, but I just turned the music up and kept going thinking about the women who have posted here and have written how much of a difference weight lifting has made for them. When I was done, I barely made it down the stairs, but I went back and every time I go back I will think of women like you who just started and kept going. Interestingly, I am still the only woman in the free weight section. It seems that most men frequent the free weights, while the ladies only use machines if they do weights at all.
    I love my cardio, it relieves my stress , but I am convinced that the free weights are the way to go when you really want to become healthy and strong. :smile: , But , yeah, the look on the guys face was priceless when I insisted that I wanted to know how the squat rack is set correctly.
  • pettychia
    But , yeah, the look on the guys face was priceless when I insisted that I wanted to know how the squat rack is set correctly.

Awesome, good for you! I was really intimidated by the weight room when I started. But now I've become "gym buddies" with some of the guys and their encouragement is really motivating.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    This SO inspiring! Your body shape and size in the before part of your profile pic is very similar to mine now.
    And while I am certain that I can have a rockin body... THIS was well beyond what I could consider possible. Woohoo!

You are hot stuff, lady!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!