Benifts of Exercise

Right now my life is extremely hectic and stressful. My mother has been in the hospital since March 11 and will be in the hospital for another 3 to 6 weeks. She's right now waiting for spinal surgery, and will then have several weeks of Rehab after that. (Rehab as physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy in a hospital - as apposed to the Rehab people do to quit drinking or drugging).

I spend 4 to 8 hours in the hospital everyday and eat at least once a meal at the hospital everyday.

My doctor tells me that if I exercise I will not only lose weight but will find things less stressful.

Me … It seems like he's just trying to pile one more stressful thing onto my already stressful life.

For those of you who do exercise regurlary, is it really a good way of getting rid of stress? Do you really find it makes situations easier to deal with? Or is my doctor just manipulating me.

Because right now, my focus is getting my mother better - I'll get myself looking trim and fit later - much later. Right now I just want to do what's best for my health, and if people really do feel healthier and less stress exercising I'll try it. If not, it will have to wait, like a whole bunch of other things.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    um yeah, exercise. it does a mind and body good.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    100%.

Exercise is my therapist.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Exercise is a HUGE stress reliever.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Your doctor is right. Exercise releases hormones that counteract stress so yes, it is invaluable during this difficult time in your life. If you exercise before you go to the hospital, you will be able to handle things a lot better. It will give you clarity and a sense of well being.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Exercise boosts my energy a ton - I feel SO much better as soon as I start sweating a little and then by the end I feel great. I never regret going to the gym over something else. Exercising for an hour gives me more energy than a full night of sleep. Put your workout clothes on before you leave the house and then you are already ready to go whenever you have an opening to go walk or go to the gym. Exercise isn't for losing weight. It's for maintaining a human body. People are meant to sweat. You are meant to be active...we aren't genetically engineered to just sit around.

It will make you a better helper to your mom, especially with all of the tough times ahead. I know raising kids is not the same thing, but I have two small, very active children and exercising makes me a better stay-at-home-mom, stress-wise, energy-wise, etc.

Good luck - crossing my fingers for a successful surgery and recovery. Hang in there!
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    definitely, exercise has been my life saver. I would not necessarily focus on exercising to lose weight and/or to look better, this is a benefit that comes with the territory, but rather try to find something you enjoy.
    I have a lot of stress going on too and I have found that I am looking forward to my exercise time when I am not available to anyone and can just go on a run or lift. It has been helping me with my depression as well. I never would have thought that I would ever look forward to exercising.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    The morning after my father died I went for a 5 mile run, it was the best possible thing I could have done.

Exercise is great therapy.
  • CDogg17
    CDogg17 Posts: 27
    I'm 45 years old. I have dealt with anxiety and depression since I was 14. Since I started exercising regularly in January, a weight has been lifted. It's the first time I feel calm and peaceful every single day. Of course, I still have stress and bad moods, but my exercise, even just walking a mile or two, makes me feel so much better. I'm a better mom and wife because of it.

Go for it! If you don't feel better, you can always stop, but I can almost guarantee that you will.

Best wishes for your mom.
  • KittiePerry
    KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
    For me it's helped a lot, it's helping my depression, it helps me to focus better, and when we had gym in high school my grades were better :)
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    not only is it a stress reliever, exercise naturally releases endorphins, which help fight depression, and boosts metabolism, which helps with your body's natural healing process. It also stimulates blood flow, which helps with digestion, movement, flexibility, and skin texture and appearance. You'll look better, feel happier/better, move more easily, have more energy over all, and you'll heal faster, thus hopefully getting you out of the hospital quicker. Your doc is absolutely right. Even just 15 minutes walking a day to start with can make a HUGE difference to your endurance, lung capacity, and heart rate/blood pressure, and emotional state.
  • I walk on the treadmill when I want me time or time to think or when I'm stressed lol I wish I was a stress runner :/// I'd love to have muscley legs
  • cali_flower
    cali_flower Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you everybody. I'll give it a try for one week. If at the end of that week I feel better, than I'll continue. If not then I won't.

Thanks so much for your input and telling me how exercise relieves your stress.

Right now I'm anything for relieving stress.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Running lets me eat more and sleep better. It also boosts my confidence and makes me more relaxed - what else could I ask for?

Piece of advice though - don't stress over it relaxing you, or listen to anyone telling you what exercise or how much of it you should be doing. Try something, decide if you like it, keep going or find something else. It's all about you. That's the best part about it :wink:
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Yes, exercise is a great stress reliever! Doctors can be manipulative and bossy, but he's right in this case. I think it's important for you to find a kind of exercise that you enjoy--or at least don't hate, at the beginning. I know a lot of people get great results from walking on treadmills & ellipticals, but I really enjoy walking outside--as fast as I can. At first, I could only walk for 10 minutes without getting winded, so that's what I did. Now, I can walk up to 5 miles without hurting. I like going scenic places and just walking until I need to sit down. Then, I get up and walk some more! I wish you and your mom all the best health & happiness.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Yes! We have lots of stress at my house right now and have for several months, but since I started working out in January I don't feel the stress constantly like I did before! My husband (who does not work out) is constantly talking about how stressed he is, and I'm like really? I feel fine!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Thank you everybody. I'll give it a try for one week. If at the end of that week I feel better, than I'll continue. If not then I won't.

Thanks so much for your input and telling me how exercise relieves your stress.

Right now I'm anything for relieving stress.

The exercise will help. So sorry you are going through this with your mother, the past couple of years I have gone through a lot with my father's failing health. It's not easy, but you also need to remember to look after yourself, if you are worn out and stressed it won't help either of you.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Yes. Endorphins!

Excersise (any excersise) is one of the best stress relievers and anti-depressants there is.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Endorphins are the best drug!

But seriously, It works for most people... I find it tires me out sometimes too though. If it doesn't work for you, try meditation or a glass of wine with some bath salts and bubble bath and candles and music :)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    There's a lot of great points in this thread so I won't reiterate. Just wanted to mention that exercise does not have to be painful or back-breaking to be effective.

A 20 or 30 minute brisk walk (where you get your heart rate elevated) has a lot of great benefits.

It's gentle on your body, strengthens your heart, can lower/regulate blood pressure and blood sugar, can help you sleep better, it relieve some stress and boost your mood, not to mention the physical benefits such as a toner lower body, stronger legs and core when done consistently and with purpose (going at a good speed, swinging your arms and torso slightly) and most importantly it's free and easy to do!

I'll stop sounding like a commercial (smile), but I truly wish you the best with everything you are going through OP.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    It's not recommended that you do 30 minutes a day for nothing. It's good for your overall health, can help relieve your stress and you can feel a sense of accomplishment while/after completing it. It can also give you something else to focus on. Instead of thinking of it as another stress, find something you will love to do and stick to it. Exercise can be an amazing thing once you've found your calling. Just don't over do it and make sure to take at least one rest day if you're doing intense exercise, like running. :)