Where to start.....

Okay, as I read through the message boards, I notice that so many people run. Tips for getting started? You people are amazing!! I can only dream of running 8 miles....

Peace out

MC

Replies

• Okay, as I read through the message boards, I notice that so many people run. Tips for getting started? You people are amazing!! I can only dream of running 8 miles....

Peace out

MC
  • I'm not sure about a lot of details, however I have bee at this off and on for a few years and well if you are starting out overweight and out of shape like I was start slow, walk, first and don't push yourself to hard listen to your body. I should have listen to that advice I would of saved a few injuries. There are a lot of work out plans online and in books. Blessings
  • izelle
    izelle Posts: 9
    hey it's important to start by walking for and then gradually starting with for example 5 min intervals where you run and then walk again. i'm out of shape and also starting to get myself in shape again to start running/jogging. do read any info you can get on the internet but it's important to be patient and not to over strain your body because then you just might injure yourself and lose all motivation.

84534.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Google couch to 5K... that is a great start.
    Also google for running, beginner for some great tips.

Remember to stretch and to take your time! Good luck... there is a runner's club that posts every day jump on and ask questions! :happy:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    I agree! I used to do the Couch Potato 5k! Looooved it. I'm in a cruddy neighborhood for running now as I live right on a very busy road with no shoulder, and I'm not really close to any high schools with good tracks. I'll get back into that soon though.

Here's the website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    I started off walking and after I lost about 15-20 pounds, I made the shift to jogging. The first day I told myself I'd run 2 minutes, walk 5, run 2, etc. Those first 2 minutes almost killed me. I think I ran 6 minutes that first day and every second my eyes were glued to the timer on my iPod!!!

Now I can run about 1 mile and a quarter before I have to stop, but I can do that 2 or 3 times with walking in between. I don't consider myself a "runner" by any means, but thought my "starting out" might help you a little. I only do it 3 times a week or so and do other cardio/strength training the other days, so that's probably why I'm not running more. Oh, and I smoked for 6 years...:noway: