Prepping for a 5K

cwrig
cwrig Posts: 190 Member
So I have my carbs under control and BG in a good range, not its time I start getting some consistent exercise. I've been walking a bit every day and feeling much stronger (less winded after putting on my socks).

So I decided today I am going to set a goal of running in a 5K race later this year. I know it will take a few months to work up to it, but I know the movement will be healthy and further help my BG and Cholesterol numbers.

Anyone successfully make this journey from couch potato to a 5K run?

Replies

• How exciting that you set a goal to complete a 5K! There is an excellent program called "Couch to 5K" that starts off with walking and gradually increases running at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/ Be sure to get your doctor's OK to start the 5K training program, and ask for guidelines about managing blood glucose with exercise. There is some basic info here: https://www.joslin.org/info/8_tips_for_running_with_diabetes.html Most of all - have fun! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Good for you! I also have the same goal. Good luck to you :)
  • cwrig
    How exciting that you set a goal to complete a 5K! There is an excellent program called "Couch to 5K" that starts off with walking and gradually increases running at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/ Be sure to get your doctor's OK to start the 5K training program, and ask for guidelines about managing blood glucose with exercise. There is some basic info here: https://www.joslin.org/info/8_tips_for_running_with_diabetes.html Most of all - have fun! ~Lynn /Glucerna

Thank You. I did download the C25K app and did day one today. I was excited to start, but I learned I may need to work into it a bit slow.

The app had me walk for a minute then run for 30 seconds and it repeats this a few times. Well; after the 2nd time I was totally spent; had to walk the rest of the 30 minutes. I have been walking almost every day; but its surprising how much harder running is!

Though I was discouraged to learn how really badly out of shape I am; I am still determined to push on. I may just have to repeat week 1 a few times till I can do it properly; then move on. So instead of taking 8 weeks it may take me 16 weeks. Im not going to let it discourage me; cause running for 30 minutes straight for me was unthinkable a few months ago. Now I think I can do it; just slowly.
  • cwrig
    Good for you! I also have the same goal. Good luck to you :)

Thank you! Good luck to you as well. Let me know how it goes with you.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    I've crafted my own C25K program with the goal of totally running a 5K next March. I'm going slow. I had heart valve surgery 3 years ago and my heart rate jumps to the top of my exercise range very quickly. I run until I hit my top number (mid 130s) and then walk until I drop back to 120. When I first started in Feb. I could only run a distance of 1 front yard in my neighborhood. I'm now able to sustain through 3 front yards. I can't use the times like C25K so this was my alternative. I'm hoping to be able to continue until I can run most or all of the time.

Keep up the good work!
  • cwrig, it's great you already did your first workout! I think you might be running too fast. A run is really just a tiny bit faster than a walk. Often when we think of running we believe we have to sprint, or run as fast as we can. The goal is to run slowly enough that you can carry on a conversation. If you can sing, you're not running fast enough :) Next time, try running slowly and I bet you'll see a big difference. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    I training for my first 5k marathon relay leg (5 weeks away). I have lost weight in the past by running/walking. At one point I could run 7 miles. Now I alternate walking/jogging to build my time. On the treadmill I was jogging 30 minutes, but when I switched to outside, I could hardly run a mile : ( Keeping up with it. The more you move the easier it gets. It also makes me lose weight faster!

Good luck!
  • trimminit
    trimminit Posts: 191 Member
    I did it last year. You can do it!! Just take it slow, do weeks over again if you need to. :) This will help you avoid injury and burnout. It was a little difficult to get through my first 5k, but so exhilarating!! You will be glad you did it. Keep us posted!
  • cwrig
    Thank you! I am repeating week one cause I havnt made it all the way through yet. Taking it slow is ok with me; I am seeing minor improvement...
  • I read something today that said "there's no such thing as slow - you're lapping everyone sitting on the couch". That really puts it in perspective, doesn't it? I'm glad you're seeing some improvement. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Shane37301
    Shane37301 Posts: 32 Member
    It's great you made the decision to do a 5k. I went through the same thing about 2 years ago. At first I could only walk and using a HRM monitor, I would go as fast as I could until I had to slow down for my heart rate to come back down.

After a couple months of that, I starting doing the Couch to 5K program (and home DVD weight program workouts on alternating days). 8 months and 70 lbs later, my doctor took me off all hypertension, cholesterol meds, and my type 2 diabetes is completely managed by diet and exercise ( I was taking glyburide and metformin) and my doctor said if I keep my A1C down (Starting was 10.5, now I'm at 5.6), he'll no longer consider me type 2.

I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday! Just remember, to listen to your body. Give yourself time to recover between running workouts, don't be ashamed if you have to repeat a week until you can do it, and stay hydrated! I used to get major headaches after running when I first started out, until I figured that one out.

Keep it up!
  • cwrig
    Thanks for the encouragement. Your story is inspiring.
  • I would love to compete in a 5k run.. ok not compete but participate.. I started walking just a bit at first and this past Sunday I did a 5k walkaton... yesterday I started working on running... (jogging really lol) I was able to do 5 mins yesterday and 8 today.. I say just go at your own pace, what works for you... but most important is to do it everyday... stay focus and take one day at a time...
  • Congratulations on the half-marathon Shane, and on the 5K Katherine! You're absolutely right that moving at your own pace and making gradual progress gets you not only to your goals, but to the finish line. Keep up the great work. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • MissReena73
    MissReena73 Posts: 25
    cwrig - I think that is an awesome goal. I am not a runner (my knees and I do not agree on whether or not I should run) but I am a walker. I am signed up to walk my third annual half marathon in October. The first time two times I did it, I had not been diagnosed as being T2. This will be the first time I do it since the diagnosis.

Knowing about the diagnosis does help explain a lot about why I had a lot of issues with it last year. I went through spikes and crashes through the whole 4:19:47 it took me to walk it. This year I am hoping to be a lot more prepared for it.

I am going to follow your lead and try the C25K! I can't run for any of the half marathon walk (I would be disqualified) but if I can get myself to the point where I can run a 5k this year, then next year I will sign up for the half marathon run!
  • cwrig
    Update:

I was frustrated with the C25K because I could not properly complete week one; so I kept repeating it. I just had trouble running for a full minute for the several intervals. It is humbling to see how out of shape I am.

So, I "Punted" and decided to build more slowly by walking more. So for 2 weeks I walked 2-3 miles a day; trying to quicken my pace a bit to build up some endurance.

It has helped. Today I restarted the C25K week 1 and was able to do the runs (with effort). I can see its going to tough, but I am determined to run a 5K this year! Now targeting September.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Awesome - I like the way you are tackling a challenge instead of coming up with excuses for not doing a 5k.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Update:

I was frustrated with the C25K because I could not properly complete week one; so I kept repeating it. I just had trouble running for a full minute for the several intervals. It is humbling to see how out of shape I am.

So, I "Punted" and decided to build more slowly by walking more. So for 2 weeks I walked 2-3 miles a day; trying to quicken my pace a bit to build up some endurance.

It has helped. Today I restarted the C25K week 1 and was able to do the runs (with effort). I can see its going to tough, but I am determined to run a 5K this year! Now targeting September.

I would definitely have trouble too. That's great you restarted the C25K week 1. You can do it!
  • I love your attitude! I lead running groups, and when people have trouble running for 1 minute, then most likely you're running too fast. A run is just barely faster than a fast walk. Just yesterday one of the women discovered that when she slows down so that she can comfortably breathe, she ran 4x as far as she did last week! Try slowing down and see how that feels. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    Thanks for the advice. I want to push myself, but I also dont want to get injured.

For reference when I walk my pace is about 19min/mile. When I "run" I am about 12 min/mile pace (according to Endomondo tracker). So I dont think Im going fast; but maybe I am. I'll pay more attention tomorrow. Note also I am about 248 lbs right now; which is 40 lbs lighter than I was. But I know this will be easier if I can shed some more of this weight.