Why did I gain a pound back if I didn't even eat!

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Wow didn't think I was gone to come on here getting torn to shreds. I posted it several times because I wasn't sure how to delete them. It was my first time on here posting something. I do realize I have to eat. I was just asking for advice. I didn't post several topics because I didn't like what you had to say. Say what you want. It's your opinion!

Seek professional help....
    vov607.jpg

Oh my God! Every time I talk about that sketch, no one knows what I'm talking about. Laughing just thinking about it.

I love the Vincent Price sketches. Fugg hilarious!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    "Guess we will see" was in response to the idea that someone knows exactly what will happen to me. In other words, I guess we will see if you know everything like you think, or if I will be successful in counting my calories properly, eating properly, working out properly AND taking the "evil little pill". I don't understand how it can be possible to automatically be labeled as "lazy" when I'm putting the work in as well. If I were taking the pill and just sitting around and not eating, sure you could call me "stupid", "uneducated", or accuse me of "not firing on all pistons", but that is simply not the case. I don't expect this to be an easy journey, and contrary to what it seems as though people believe will happen, I PLAN (there's the word you're looking for) to continue to eat properly and exercise after I reach my "goal". And BTW, I don't say "goal weight" because I am more concerned with getting this under control and forming new HABITS that will last me a lifetime. Goal means healthy. Some people need surgery, some people take pills, and some people don't do anything extra. You shouldn't put someone else down just for doing something different from you.

I think you may be confusing me with that other poster.

No, I was just responding to all of it.

You mentioned the "guess we'll see" and not having a "long-term plan" and I was simply telling you that you are wrong and why you are wrong.

Well let me ask you a question.

If you are confident that you'll be able to keep eating within your calorie goal after you get off the medication................

Then what is the medication for?

To help with the cravings. Yes, I am aware that SOME PEOPLE have the ability to NOT give in all the time, but that has been a constant struggle for the past 10 years which landed me where I was when I started. My mindset has already started changing, and I have started being more aware of the things I did before that I no longer do, such as raiding the fridge at 3 am. I have no interest in staying on this medication the rest of my life or even until I reach my goal. It was an option suggested to me because I had 100 lbs to lose to get to what is considered a healthy weight for my build. I don't even think that I will stay on it past this month because after almost a month, I have found that I look forward to my gym time and when I go to the store, I automatically go towards the fresh products rather than the processed. I feel better now that I have made changes and I want this to continue. Honestly, it opened my eyes to bad habits and allowed me to focus on the habits I want to make the norm for myself.

What do you think will happen with the cravings when you get off the medication?

They will be there, but feeling and looking better is more important to me than the tasty piece of cake or whatever might be the craving of the moment.

Good gawd I didn't realize I was going to need to defend myself for trying something along with the other important things.

You can't control cravings without the medication now, so how will you control them when you're not taking it in the future? At the end of the day, you haven't learned anything about it.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    "Guess we will see" was in response to the idea that someone knows exactly what will happen to me. In other words, I guess we will see if you know everything like you think, or if I will be successful in counting my calories properly, eating properly, working out properly AND taking the "evil little pill". I don't understand how it can be possible to automatically be labeled as "lazy" when I'm putting the work in as well. If I were taking the pill and just sitting around and not eating, sure you could call me "stupid", "uneducated", or accuse me of "not firing on all pistons", but that is simply not the case. I don't expect this to be an easy journey, and contrary to what it seems as though people believe will happen, I PLAN (there's the word you're looking for) to continue to eat properly and exercise after I reach my "goal". And BTW, I don't say "goal weight" because I am more concerned with getting this under control and forming new HABITS that will last me a lifetime. Goal means healthy. Some people need surgery, some people take pills, and some people don't do anything extra. You shouldn't put someone else down just for doing something different from you.

You mentioned the "guess we'll see" and not having a "long-term plan" and I was simply telling you that you are wrong and why you are wrong.

If you are confident that you'll be able to keep eating within your calorie goal after you get off the medication................

To help with the cravings. Yes, I am aware that SOME PEOPLE have the ability to NOT give in all the time, but that has been a constant struggle for the past 10 years which landed me where I was when I started. My mindset has already started changing, and I have started being more aware of the things I did before that I no longer do, such as raiding the fridge at 3 am. I have no interest in staying on this medication the rest of my life or even until I reach my goal. It was an option suggested to me because I had 100 lbs to lose to get to what is considered a healthy weight for my build. I don't even think that I will stay on it past this month because after almost a month, I have found that I look forward to my gym time and when I go to the store, I automatically go towards the fresh products rather than the processed. I feel better now that I have made changes and I want this to continue. Honestly, it opened my eyes to bad habits and allowed me to focus on the habits I want to make the norm for myself.

What do you think will happen with the cravings when you get off the medication?

They will be there, but feeling and looking better is more important to me than the tasty piece of cake or whatever might be the craving of the moment.

Good gawd I didn't realize I was going to need to defend myself for trying something along with the other important things.

You can't control cravings without the medication now, so how will you control them when you're not taking it in the future? At the end of the day, you haven't learned anything about it.

I could be wrong, but what I'm gathering from her posts is that she is using the medication to help control her appetite now while she is also learning to eat properly and exercise. Is this right? This time she is on the meds and sticking to a good routine can help to teach her some healthy habits that she will keep even when she is off the meds. Now will that happen? I don't know I'm not a seer into the future. I've seen it be very successful for some and I've seen it completely fail for others (like myself) and like myself, those folks will pack the pounds lost back on plus some.

ETA: Obviously the OP is not doing the same.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

You don't need to defend yourself. You need to learn to ignore people who judge you without even knowing you. I wander if these folks ever take ibuprofen for aches and pains; and would like to know what there "plan" is when they no longer take it.

That analogy isn't even close to being the same. Ibuprofen is not to control a behavior. You do need a plan to overcome habits and behaviors. You don't need a plan to control pain when there is no pain.
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    Sorry U need help r u trying to kill yourself this site is not for you you need to see a dr
    hope u do
  • Stormykitty
    Stormykitty Posts: 43 Member
    Forgive me if I am responding incorrectly. My doctor has also discussed the option of using phentermine. However, he stated that he would require me to come in for weekly weigh-ins and to provide printouts of my food diary and exercise diary. At the time he broached this option with me, I was not committed to even attempting any lifestyle changes. I am now. I am a newbie, just started on 4/17/14. I have an upcoming appointment with my primary physician to discus utilizing that "tool" to hopefully help me refrain from binge and compulsive overeating. In addition to working with a therapist to understand and overcome the issues that resulted in my self destructive eating habits. As I understood my doctors explanation of the use of phentermine was to utilize as a temporary tool while I make lifestyle changes and form new habits.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member

There's not a set in stone answer, and without being able to see the future, no one here can say what will or will not happen. None of you, and not even me can say for sure.

Look, I decided to try something different from what I was doing. Just like everyone else here, it was time to make a change so I did.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Sounds like gaining a pound is the least of your issues.
  • jadashue
    jadashue Posts: 5
    Water retention, too much sodium in what you ate, maybe?
  • JessG11
    Forgive me if I am responding incorrectly. My doctor has also discussed the option of using phentermine. However, he stated that he would require me to come in for weekly weigh-ins and to provide printouts of my food diary and exercise diary. At the time he broached this option with me, I was not committed to even attempting any lifestyle changes. I am now. I am a newbie, just started on 4/17/14. I have an upcoming appointment with my primary physician to discus utilizing that "tool" to hopefully help me refrain from binge and compulsive overeating. In addition to working with a therapist to understand and overcome the issues that resulted in my self destructive eating habits. As I understood my doctors explanation of the use of phentermine was to utilize as a temporary tool while I make lifestyle changes and form new habits.

Others will I'm sure disagree but I believe you are facing this new journey in the correct way, especially meeting with a therapist to handle the emotional end of it. Good for you and GOOD LUCK!
  • BadKittie05

THIS!! And before anyone asks, YES I see a therapist once a week!
  • BadKittie05

I could be wrong, but what I'm gathering from her posts is that she is using the medication to help control her appetite now while she is also learning to eat properly and exercise. Is this right? This time she is on the meds and sticking to a good routine can help to teach her some healthy habits that she will keep even when she is off the meds. Now will that happen? I don't know I'm not a seer into the future. I've seen it be very successful for some and I've seen it completely fail for others (like myself) and like myself, those folks will pack the pounds lost back on plus some.

*High Five* You understand EXACTLY what I am trying to say.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    I have been taking them as well but I agree you can use them if prescribed by a doctor and still eat healthy and exercise. If you do not eat enough calories a day I will admit you are going to gain the weight back and probably double. You need to seriously eat more and see a doctor because no bowel movement is a life or death problem. Think of all the toxins your body is holding because you haven't used the restroom.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member

Feeling and looking better isn't always the best inspiration though. If it were, then no one would be overweight in the first place. And if that were really your motivation, as mentioned "why do you even need the medication then?" Apparently it's not enough.
    Not trying to be mean, just looking at it logically. I've been doing this for over 30 years and this isn't the first time I've heard this story. Haven't seen one yet that has the happy ending they were looking for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JessG11

*High Five* You understand EXACTLY what I am trying to say.

I do. And if they would have helped me with my negative eating patterns, I would have stayed on them. But mine were pretty much all emotional with my stress and anxiety so I'm instead focusing on that route now. Controlling my stress and anxiety is helping me to not binge and I'm learning new healthy patterns. It's been great and I feel great! Good luck to you!!!
  • BadKittie05

Feeling and looking better isn't always the best inspiration though. If it were, then no one would be overweight in the first place. And if that were really your motivation, as mentioned "why do you even need the medication then?" Apparently it's not enough.
    Not trying to be mean, just looking at it logically. I've been doing this for over 30 years and this isn't the first time I've heard this story. Haven't seen one yet that has the happy ending they were looking for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Did you by chance read any of my other posts? I'm getting help on multiple levels to help me achieve my goals. Also not trying to be mean, but want you to be aware of the whole picture instead of my inability to fully convey my thoughts in an online forum.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    What you are doing to yourself is every bit as unhealthy as being morbidly obese. If you can't lose fat without resorting to such extreme measures then you where just genetically meant to be a bit plump. Or have some sort of medical issue. I would bet 5 quid that this is the first GENUINE bodily starvation response I have seen.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

You don't have to answer my questions. You can ignore me if you want.

I'm curious that your strategy appears to be that you need the appetite-suppressing medication to avoid cravings, but your plan for after the medication is pretty much that you plan on being able to avoid them later.

I guess I just don't get it. If you don't think you can control yourself now - and hence, need the medication - I don't understand what makes you think you'll be able to control yourself later.

Because nothing tastes as good as skinny feelz, yo.
  • BadKittie05

Pretty much :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

You've clearly never been to Popeye's.