I'm running a marathon...

Next year, to raise money for a friend of mine who is paralysed from the waist down. I am going to fundraise and give any money I get towards him getting a new wheelchair that is suited to his needs.

I am currently 17st and very out of shape, I intend on doing a marathon in exactly a year.

Please any advice, training or otherwise and any support would be good.

I have a Nike+ watch that helps me see how far I have gone and I will just be trying to wing it!

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    I really wouldn't just 'wing' marathon training. You are likely to end up with an injury. You have to be careful about increasing pace/distance.

Do you run at all? If not, I would start with the C25K programme and work from there. Book yourself into a 5K for after the plan (about 8 weeks), and then move onto a 10K programme.

Also, make sure you have the right kind of running shoes. Go to a running shop and get your gait analysed. When I started running I just wore cheap runners and ended up with Plantar Fasciitis which is not nice at all and meant no running for 6weeks. Since getting my new running shoes I haven't had any problems.

When you finish your 10k programme google Hal Higdon and follow his Half Marathon and Marathon Plans.

Marathon training involves a lot of time and a lot of miles - its just so important you don't just suddenly jump into running 40-50miles a week. You need to build up to it and following some tried and tested plans is definitely the way I would advise going!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Okay I will start with a 5k plan. I already have good running shoes so that is fine!

I am hoping to run 3 times during the week and once at the weekend (a longer run)

I was hoping to do a 10k in July (Race for Life)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    I really wouldn't just 'wing' marathon training. You are likely to end up with an injury. You have to be careful about increasing pace/distance.

Do you run at all? If not, I would start with the C25K programme and work from there. Book yourself into a 5K for after the plan (about 8 weeks), and then move onto a 10K programme.

Also, make sure you have the right kind of running shoes. Go to a running shop and get your gait analysed. When I started running I just wore cheap runners and ended up with Plantar Fasciitis which is not nice at all and meant no running for 6weeks. Since getting my new running shoes I haven't had any problems.

When you finish your 10k programme google Hal Higdon and follow his Half Marathon and Marathon Plans.

Marathon training involves a lot of time and a lot of miles - its just so important you don't just suddenly jump into running 40-50miles a week. You need to build up to it and following some tried and tested plans is definitely the way I would advise going!
    +1

Solid advice there. I am just going to assume that you are talking about a full 26.2 mile marathon? I know sometimes people who don't run refer to other races as marathons. This is a VERY long way and you can not just "wing" your way into running one. It's going to require an absolute ton of dedication and discipline. I hope you are starting the Couch to 5k program today. Good luck.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

Just going to say that this is some excellent advice. Listen to it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    A year could be plenty of time if you were already in fair aerobic shape. A lot of things can happen between now and then, and it sounds like a lot of stars will have to align for this to be an enjoyable and injury free experience. Good luck.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Okay I will start with a 5k plan. I already have good running shoes so that is fine!

I am hoping to run 3 times during the week and once at the weekend (a longer run)

I was hoping to do a 10k in July (Race for Life)

Just to reiterate what the others have said, did those shoes come from a running specialty store (many are mom and pop shops) wear they personally watched you run and fitted you with the correct shoes?

Do not buy your running shoes from a big box store wear all the employees do is just bring you the shoes and watch you put it on. You need someone to analyze your gait.

I would still be super careful trying to do a full in a year right now since you do not run at all.

I have being running for 2 years with the last year being pretty serious and will only just now be doing my first half this coming October.

I mean, people die doing these things when they don't prepare correctly. Also, see your doctor to get cleared to do this....that's always a good idea.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Look up Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. They have training plans for a full marathon. Join the long distance running group. Look up the topic "so you want to start running" posted by ThickMcRunFast.

And build up mileage slowly, but start now!

Great goal. Just don't hurt yourself.
  • FeebRyan
    I think a year is plenty of time.

I will aim for a 10k in July and then go from there!

My running shoes were moderately expensive (around £60) and all I can afford at the moment.

So that is what I will be running in.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Great that you're doing that .. amazing... your going t go through so much physically and emotionally to get to your brilliant goal - good luck and keep us all informed - How about a Blog?

I can recommend that you get a good watch and a HRM - this will help you to Not Overtrain and you'll be able to map your progress better (accurately)

Any way, as others have said aim for a 5Km (the Couch to 5k plan is amazing - stick to it and it will help get you through.

Then prick a 10Km race a few(??) months later (Please don't rush it and catch an injury that will put you back).

Get your core fitness dailed in and don't move to the next step until it is.

Then gulp .. your first 1/2 Marathon

Then your goal 26.2.

If you can get a coach and/or join a running club, that will help you immensely.. otherwise get a GOOD set of training plans (one for each event distance and stick with it)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    I think a year is plenty of time.

I will aim for a 10k in July and then go from there!

My running shoes were moderately expensive (around £60) and all I can afford at the moment.

So that is what I will be running in.

Glad you think so. Good luck, and looking forward to hearing about your progress.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    so as you said 60 quid .. you must be in the U.K?

If so take a look at parkrun (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/) if you've not heard of them, they are Free Timed 5Km social runs every saturday morning (9 O'Clock) and they're all over the country.
  • FeebRyan
    Yes I am in the UK. thank you I will look them up, they sound good

I mean if worst comes to worst I will just walk a third of it, but my aim is obviously to run all the way round and to make good time.
  • Thomasm198
    Yes I am in the UK. thank you I will look them up, they sound good

I mean if worst comes to worst I will just walk a third of it, but my aim is obviously to run all the way round and to make good time.
    Do not worry about time. The most important goal is to just finish. It doesn't matter if you do it in 2 hours or 20 hours, crossing the finishing line is all that matters.
  • FeebRyan
    Thanks, thats my thoughts too.

I run really, really slowly so I am just going to start by enjoying running, doing couch to 5k and building myself up.

My friend just sent me a list of places near us where they do regular runs, so I am going to get in touch with them and get myself ready.

Now I have really clear motivation, so I think I am on to a winner
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member

Yes, yes, and yes. Where is the "like" button around here?

I will just add that a marathon in a year will probably require you to be pretty diligent about your training to go from your first 10k to a marathon in nine months. I don't mean aggressive, I just mean sticking to your training schedule every day. Also, one pair of running shoes per year is a bit thin, in my opinion. After a year, the soles of mine were worn pretty thin and may have contributed to my first running injury which set me back months on my training schedule. You might want to plan on buying a new pair about 9 months from my now so the second pair is worn in before race day. Walking? Yes, I suppose. Really, do so if you need to. But it was my daily mantra that I was determined to run my first marathon by (1) finishing it, (2) without injury, and (3) without walking. And I'm happy I was able to meet those goals. People dying? If so, they must be pretty rare. I'd recommend that you try to sense your body condition every day and if you really feel you're over doing it, back off some. Just don't quit. Never quit! Good luck to you!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Our local marathon here just had someone die at it and the one to the south of me in S.C. had 2 people die just a couple weekends ago. It's nothing to play around with and certainly not wing it. It's unsafe.
  • FeebRyan
    Can people just let go of the terminology, by 'wing it' I meant not get a personal trainer and instead research and do it myself.

I think people are hanging on to that one word rather than being rational and noticing that I am asking (and taking) advice and I am prepared to do what I need to do.

New running shoes in nine months will be fine, perhaps even before that if needed.

As for walking, well that is okay, my aim is to get money for a wheelchair for my friend, my personal goal is secondary to that.

if I don't manage to run the whole marathon, I am sure I can try again!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    You are being realistic in your goals and I congratulate you on that. You can find so much information and advise on the internet that you should be find. If you are having any problems or pain it is amazing to find the answers. I just ran my first half marathon last fall and found a lot of good information. Also, there are apps now for C2 26.2 now. I would highly recommend one of those as they follow a good basic program and give you advise.

One thing I have learned as I am gearing up for another half marathon is the difference weight lifting and ab work can make in your running. Did not really due it for the last run and I am for this one. Another thing to keep in mind is as your build up miles work on a steady speed. It is too easy to take off fast and burn out when you start getting to higher mileage.

Good luck!
  • Thomasm198
    Can people just let go of the terminology, by 'wing it' I meant not get a personal trainer and instead research and do it myself.

I think people are hanging on to that one word rather than being rational and noticing that I am asking (and taking) advice and I am prepared to do what I need to do.

New running shoes in nine months will be fine, perhaps even before that if needed.

As for walking, well that is okay, my aim is to get money for a wheelchair for my friend, my personal goal is secondary to that.

It's just that "wing it" gives the impression of somebody doing very little training and turning up on the day thinking they can run a marathon in Olympic qualifying time. People are just trying to make sure you realise how big a task you have set yourself.

I did my first marathon last October. A marathon is hard on your body. I injured my knee at the 18 mile mark during the marathon. I walked/limped the remainding 8 miles to the finish line. It took me just under 6 hours to complete it (5:57:08). 26.2 miles is a long distance.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80

You've had a few people reply who have experienced a full marathon before, myself included. Maybe we're not in your body of research, but that's cool - the books, trainers, personal experience, etc is where our knowledge comes from.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners

This group is full of knowledge as well. I encourage you to hit up the group and stay in touch with your goals.

Either way, like I said, good luck. Looking forward to hear how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.