I'm running a marathon...

Replies

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    I plan to do lots of training, starting tomorrow actually :)

Yes the people I speak to online are definitely in my research group, certainly not the same as paying a personal trainer though and I wouldn't pretend it is.

Unfortunately I don't get the opportunity to lift weights.

I will check out a C-26.2k system but unfortunately have nothing to put an app on. My son 'played' with my iPhone and a puddle... such a shame!
  • FeebRyan
    By the way I have mentioned in my original post that I don't intend on doing no training and just turning up, so again I think people need to just let it go. There is no point hanging on to terminology when it is clear that is not what was meant.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    I recently bought a book "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" (authors David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgener & Tanjala Kole).

It has a training plan (with a pre-training for people starting at zero), some information (shoes, nutrition and such), but also a lot of psychological advice and tips for motivation. And storys from people who ran a marathon after following this programm.

I'm actually not planning on running a marathon myself (my goal is more around running 10k, but not in a contest, just on my own), but I really like some of the motivational stategies they suggest.

If you are thinking about buying a running book when you start, that one might be worth a look.

All the best for your running plans - it's a great goal you have set yourself :-)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    By the way I have mentioned in my original post that I don't intend on doing no training and just turning up, so again I think people need to just let it go. There is no point hanging on to terminology when it is clear that is not what was meant.

Many people have given you very good advice here, with the caveat that one year may not be enough time to build the body you need for a full marathon. Please just consider what advice they are giving and not on the perceived tone of the post.

I think you have an admirable goal. Again, good luck and don't get injured.
  • FeebRyan
    I could understand that if I was saying I would be trying for a marathon in six months, but a year?

A year is plenty of time for anyone to achieve this. I have high hopes (that will not be dashed ;) )
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    great advice listed. You need to get in shape. Small races help set your running pace . You need a plan for the training and GOOD shoes. You have a worthy cause but without training you could hurt yourself.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    I thought I had read on a few different training sites, which escape me now, because it was more in passing as I am no where near ready for it yet, that one should have at least a year of running under their belt before starting to even TRAIN for their first marathon.

I wish you luck on this endeavor and hope you can manage it with no injuries.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    You have 52 weeks to train. If you start at zero, and increase your running distance only a half mile every week, you will be at 26 miles in a year.

You'll be fine. Good luck.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Just to reiterate what the others have said, did those shoes come from a running specialty store (many are mom and pop shops) wear they personally watched you run and fitted you with the correct shoes?

Do not buy your running shoes from a big box store wear all the employees do is just bring you the shoes and watch you put it on. You need someone to analyze your gait.

I would still be super careful trying to do a full in a year right now since you do not run at all.

I have being running for 2 years with the last year being pretty serious and will only just now be doing my first half this coming October.

I mean, people die doing these things when they don't prepare correctly. Also, see your doctor to get cleared to do this....that's always a good idea.
    i am a long distance runner, and i can assure you that a lot of the above is bull**** and fear mongering. i have never purchased a single pair of running shoes from a "specialty running store" i have never had my gait "analyzed". I don't pay more than $60 for my running shoes. I run 10+ miles per day.

You can do it much more simply than the above implies. using the C25K programs and progressing with other various running and marathon training programs and apps is probably a good idea. i think if you're determined enough, which you seem to be, you can do this and be prepared in a year.

good luck!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Our local marathon here just had someone die at it and the one to the south of me in S.C. had 2 people die just a couple weekends ago. It's nothing to play around with and certainly not wing it. It's unsafe.
    i saw on my local news a pedestrian was struck and killed while out walking last weekend. a week before that, a similar incident occurred which resulted in 2 fatalities.
    walking outside is too dangerous. we must all avoid it at all costs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Just to reiterate what the others have said, did those shoes come from a running specialty store (many are mom and pop shops) wear they personally watched you run and fitted you with the correct shoes?

Do not buy your running shoes from a big box store wear all the employees do is just bring you the shoes and watch you put it on. You need someone to analyze your gait.

I would still be super careful trying to do a full in a year right now since you do not run at all.

I have being running for 2 years with the last year being pretty serious and will only just now be doing my first half this coming October.

I mean, people die doing these things when they don't prepare correctly. Also, see your doctor to get cleared to do this....that's always a good idea.
    i am a long distance runner, and i can assure you that a lot of the above is bull**** and fear mongering. i have never purchased a single pair of running shoes from a "specialty running store" i have never had my gait "analyzed". I don't pay more than $60 for my running shoes. I run 10+ miles per day.

You can do it much more simply than the above implies. using the C25K programs and progressing with other various running and marathon training programs and apps is probably a good idea. i think if you're determined enough, which you seem to be, you can do this and be prepared in a year.

good luck!

Bull**** and fear mongering? Just because you, an experiment of one, has had success with the shoes you have bought off the shelf does not discount the dozens, no, hundreds of runners who I have seem impacted by being in the wrong shoe.

OP, If you had just said you wanted to run a marathon just because you wanted to, I'd come right out and tell you that I think it's a bad idea. But, since your intentions are pure and selfless, I'll give you a piece of advice. Go with the Galloway plan. This is probably going to be the only way you will successfully go from nothing to 26.2 in a year. If you follow his plan to the letter, and you have a little luck along the way, you'll be able to get through 26.2 and help out your friend.

I wish you nothing but the best.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Good for you for wanting to help your friend I wish you the best. I am a runner and have entered but not actually got to marathon day 3 times. My furthest run is 18 miles and it was absolute hell. I would still love to run a marathon but I find it to be incredibly hard on the body. I am not trying to put you off just reading this makes me think about entering again but I am trying to be honest. I have been running 3 years and done 2 half marathons but psychogically marathon training is hard not to mention time consuming. I wish you the best let us know how it goes.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member

Bull**** and fear mongering? Just because you, an experiment of one, has had success with the shoes you have bought off the shelf does not discount the dozens, no, hundreds of runners who I have seem impacted by being in the wrong shoe.

OP, If you had just said you wanted to run a marathon just because you wanted to, I'd come right out and tell you that I think it's a bad idea. But, since your intentions are pure and selfless, I'll give you a piece of advice. Go with the Galloway plan. This is probably going to be the only way you will successfully go from nothing to 26.2 in a year. If you follow his plan to the letter, and you have a little luck along the way, you'll be able to get through 26.2 and help out your friend.

I wish you nothing but the best.

OP: you know how I told you to join the long distance running group. One of the reasons is this guy. Listen to him.
  • crosstraindylan
    crosstraindylan Posts: 124 Member
    First off I wish you the best. Secondly, in my experience with triathlons, 10k's, and half-marathons, I've found that the best training incorporates strength training with running. I'd recommend, running 4 days a week-each week containing a long run day (i.e saturday's for me) and two days of strength. This would include a leg day, and an arms/core day. To complete a marathon, you'll need the endurance that only comes with lifting weights and doing squats-otherwise an injury may result from the wear 26.2 miles takes on your body. Since you said you don't have access to weights, I'd recommend a few "home gym" exercises-dips, push ups, squats, lunges, planks, and superman's are just a few to use. Also, most likely you'll need a new pair of running shoes mid-season, so going to a running store for a fitting is always great. Having shoes that are tailored to you reduces the chance of injury and a more comfortable run equals a faster, stronger pace. Overall, do the best you can and enjoy the accomplishment when you complete your marathon and the hard work that went into it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    What an awesome goal, good luck! :flowerforyou:

For a first Marathon with little experience to date, I can't recommend Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk method highly enough. In fact, friends who've run dozens of marathons get faster adding walk breaks!

Here's a link to his marathon training programme with recommended run/walk ratios, but under "training" he starts with 5Ks and 10Ks so you can build up slowly.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon-training/

Don't be afraid to go at your own pace and repeat any week you find tough - you have plenty of time.

I'd recommend getting some miles under your belt even if it's only walking. If your longest run starts off at, say, half an hour of run/walk, either tag on some walking at the end or make another day a much longer walk, say two hours.

If you find running isn't for you - and it isn't for everyone - consider a walking marathon, like the London Moonwalk - I've done it and believe me, it's at least as tough as running one!

Here are my beginner's running tips, some of these might help. Especially point 1:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
  • FeebRyan
    I have run a little bit, just wasn't motivated to continue I suppose. I managed to get up to running about 5k in about a week, I run really, really slowly though, I think a 5k run would take me about an hour or so.

Hence the having running shoes.

I know its going to be a lot of work, I am prepared for that, I am very determine though and I think if I run three times a week and one long run at the weekend I will manage it. I have a really clear goal now, I've already been pledged £300 by friends and family, so I can do this!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member

As for walking, well that is okay, my aim is to get money for a wheelchair for my friend, my personal goal is secondary to that.

And that's my favorite part, although I neglected to say so above. A terrific goal. Please let us know your progress, both in training and in collecting funds for your friend.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    One thing I would add that I don't think has been mentioned is to make sure you're fuelling your runs... Please don't do marathon training on 1200 cals!
  • FeebRyan
    He is looking at a lifetime of being confine to a chair, he is stuck in a random part of the county because of the ridiculous stipulations of the local council and he has all these battles to face, mental and physical... I think that in light of that, me running/walking/crawling 26 miles in a years time is pretty doable.

So I am going to do it. I am starting this evening (eek) by running/walking for 20 mins and I will gradually build myself up, really I need to be able to run for at least 2 hours and feel I can keep going in order to run for the 4 or 6 hours it will take for me to run the marathon. There is a marathon in Paris on the 15th April next year, I am thinking of entering that one.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    You may need to get your entry in dead quick if your want to do one of the big ones (like Paris) - they fill up fast. There are loads of smaller ones that you could use as a backup.

Also maybe a good 'easy' 1/2 (or 2) round about October or November?
This discussion has been closed.