I'm running a marathon...

Replies

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Well I'm exploring other avenues as well as here and most of those say that if you are in fairly good shape, you need to train for 16 weeks before a marathon. So say I do one in the later part of next year (which is fine, it doesn't have to be April, it depends which race I do/get into/find etc) I will need to get myself fit 16 weeks before the marathon and then do an intensive course, that is not impossible, lots of people run marathons who do not train for 3 years like is being suggested here.

Its not that I am not able to take advice, it is just vastly contradicted by the information given on many other sources, like for example the London Marathon page which gives a basic training guide for 2015.

As I said, worst comes to worse I will walk for half of it.

I just went out for my first run, am knackered and ran practically no distance at all... I have a lot of work to do!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    I think you're a bit confused. YES, a training plan is about 16-20 weeks long. But you need to ARRIVE at week 1 with a good running base (which i will argue is 25 miles per week for a year). Not arrive to week 1 being able to run/walk through a 5k in 50 mins. YES, you can still possibly do it. But it will hurt, and you'll likely get injured. I imagine you can find lots of people that will say that a year is plenty of time to train for a marathon, but I doubt many of them have actually run marathons. A year sounds like a long time, but 26.2 miles is a very different animal than even a 13.1. Running 6-8 miles comfortably should be no big deal before you start that 16-20 week training plan. And I'd argue you will have a much easier time if you can comfortably run 13 miles before starting the training plan.

ETA: Let's say you're at goal weight and have been working out (not necessarily running, but just a variety of things) at 16 weeks out from a marathon. That doesn't mean you're ready to start training. You have to have that base BEFORE the training plan starts. Just because I'm in marathon shape doesn't mean I should go out and try to swim 3 miles or bike 100 miles. Each sport is a different discipline that you have to work up to. You don't start a marathon training plan of 16 weeks w/o having been running for a year. But like I said, you'll find someone that will tell you otherwise, but we are experienced runners trying to advise you to the best way to doing this uninjured and making it as enjoyable an experience that a marathon can be.
  • aswearingen22
    A fall 2015 marathon is a much more reasonable goal! And as I said, planning to run half and walk half will still be difficult and you'd likely have trouble with time cutoffs. It would be much more doable to check out the Galloway plan and do a run/walk interval from the beginning, than running until you can't anymore. You'll likely to finish quicker with the run/walk interval than a run till I can't method.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    .... if you are in fairly good shape, you need to train for 16 weeks before a marathon.

By fairly good shape you need to be thinking in terms of running at least 40 miles per week as a minimum at the start of that 16 week ramp up.

That's broadly nine months to get to that stage, with a C25K programme being 9 to 12 weeks, and getting to 10k another 6 weeks on top of that. All that assumes no injury, and given the amount of weight that you're carrying injury is a very real risk.
    I just went out for my first run, am knackered and ran practically no distance at all... I have a lot of work to do!

Indeed... perhaps that should help you set your expectations. That said, a year ago I started C25K with a 3.5km run/ walk session in 40 minutes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Well I'm exploring other avenues as well as here and most of those say that if you are in fairly good shape, you need to train for 16 weeks before a marathon. So say I do one in the later part of next year (which is fine, it doesn't have to be April, it depends which race I do/get into/find etc) I will need to get myself fit 16 weeks before the marathon and then do an intensive course, that is not impossible, lots of people run marathons who do not train for 3 years like is being suggested here.

Its not that I am not able to take advice, it is just vastly contradicted by the information given on many other sources, like for example the London Marathon page which gives a basic training guide for 2015.

As I said, worst comes to worse I will walk for half of it.

I think it very much depends what you mean by 'fairly good shape'?

How far did you run today?
  • FeebRyan
    Well the London Marathon has 'beginner' training which is 17 weeks, now I realise that you need to be fairly fit to start that, but it is very much aimed at people who have never run massively before.

I intend on running regularly right up to the 17 weeks (which could be a year from now) and then doing a full programme to prepare me for the marathon. I dont think that is unfeasible.

Anyway, even if it IS unfeasible, it is happening, I am going to do this. Eddie Izzard trained for 5 weeks to run a number of marathons consecutively, there are many stories like this.

I am not saying I am going to run a marathon in 17 weeks, so many of your points are moot. If i get to 17 weeks before race day and I haven't improved my time at all (which many of you seem to be hanging on to) then that would be one thing, but that is highly unlikely.
  • FeebRyan
    No there is nothing on any of the marathon sites I have been on that suggest you need to be running for 40 miles a week even on the lead up to a marathon!

They all seem to say the same thing, 25-35 miles a week in the 17 weeks before a marathon and make sure you are in damn good shape before that time.

I think overtraining would be bloody stupid, actually, I am not quite sure why some here are trying to push that.
  • TavistockToad
    Well the London Marathon has 'beginner' training which is 17 weeks, now I realise that you need to be fairly fit to start that, but it is very much aimed at people who have never run massively before.

'Beginner' marathon training is for people who can run 10k 'comfortably'... Not actual beginners who don't run regularly.
  • FeebRyan
    From the London Marathon site

It’s also important to withdraw from the race if you’re not fully prepared. You should have a good indication of your fitness from your training, but as a benchmark, if you can’t comfortably run 15 miles a month before the race, you probably won’t be able to safely complete the Virgin Money London Marathon.
  • aswearingen22
    I just checked out London Marathon's 17 week "beginner" program. It has you running roughly 4 mile long run in week 1, and 20 mile long run in week 13. Wow. Good luck with that.

As we have said, you aren't really looking for experienced runner advice. You are grasping at straws to find anything that will support what you want to believe, that you only need 17 weeks to go from couch to marathon. There's not much more we can say except good luck staying injury free and getting to the start line, let alone the finish line.
  • FeebRyan
    are you suggesting that in a years time I will be unable to run 10k comfortably? I think I will be able to run 10k in a few weeks, judging by most advice on t'web and from friends who run regularly.

There just seems to be some people intent on putting me down here and I am not sure why. I am not saying 'here I am, I am fat and I am going to run a marathon in 17 weeks' I am saying I will work for the next 9 months to make sure I am ready to start the training and then I will train hard for one.'

I don't understand the negativity, it doesn't seem to be shared by any other racing community.
  • aswearingen22

'Beginner' marathon training is for people who can run 10k 'comfortably'... Not actual beginners who don't run regularly.
    +1 And "10k comfortably" would mean a 10k in roughly an hour.
  • FeebRyan
    <Aims head at brick wall again> I AM NOT RUNNING A MARATHON IN 17 WEEKS I AM LOOKING TO DO ONE IN A YEARS TIME

How many more times will I have to type that!

I have no plans to go from 'couch to marathon' in 17 weeks, I have NEVER SAID THAT so why make it up? What are you gaining from making that up?
  • FeebRyan
    10k in an hour, I reckon I can aim for that by the end of the autumn.
  • TavistockToad
    are you suggesting that in a years time I will be unable to run 10k comfortably? I think I will be able to run 10k in a few weeks, judging by most advice on t'web and from friends who run regularly.

There just seems to be some people intent on putting me down here and I am not sure why. I am not saying 'here I am, I am fat and I am going to run a marathon in 17 weeks' I am saying I will work for the next 9 months to make sure I am ready to start the training and then I will train hard for one.'

I don't understand the negativity, it doesn't seem to be shared by any other racing community.

No one has been putting you down... But you did post from the start saying you were going to do a marathon when you were 17st and going to 'wing it' with training....

There has been a lot of advice given - good advice from seasoned runners, to give you a realistic idea of how much training you will need to do.

Will you be able to run 10k comfortably in 9 months? Who knows, not me, I don't know you, keep us posted!
  • aswearingen22
    The running community isn't negative at all, we're all very supportive. We want you to have a good experience and get to the starting line injury free. It seems as though what everyone has said here has now convinced you to move your goal from April 2015 to fall 2015, and that's a great thing. Everyone wants what's best for you and your goals, we just are trying to make sure you realize the task at hand is a really big deal. It will take being diligent about your training, day in, day out, week in, week out, month in, month out. Get a good training plan and stick to it and I do believe fall 2015 could be doable!
  • aswearingen22

Also, I think it would help to know how far you went and what your time was today. That gives an good indication of where you're starting from.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I think overtraining would be bloody stupid, actually, I am not quite sure why some here are trying to push that.

Actually what most people are saying is just the opposite, what you're suggesting is, while achievable, very ambitious given your current weight and level of fitness.

If you aim for New Forest or Bournemouth then you have just short of 18 months, which leaves you just able to complete the requisite preparation without injury. Note that you don't have any time to recover from an injury in there. I have a friend who did London in about 20 months, but she was single, no kids and dedicated a significant amount of time to her training. She was wrecked afterwards, although has subsequently done another 8 full marathons. For her, the training started to become a real chore, is that the right thing for you given your previous forum posts?

Just reflecting back on your reasons for this, is it better to give yourself time, or to break yourself and not complete, potentially even don't start?

Take the advice, or don't take the advice. It's already been suggested that you try the Long Distance Runners group, I'd reinforce that. Read through previous threads, ask about training advice. In the short term there is a C25K group that has a lot of useful material in it.
  • FeebRyan
    Why am I still getting advice from people who are ignoring that I am taking a year (at least) to do this, in one post its 'oh you are looking for couch to marathon in 17 weeks) and in the next post it is 'oh yes you've added a further 6 months to your goal' when both are totally contradictory.

I only want advice from people who can read and yes (girl in the pink) you have been damn unsupportive.

I have no intention of joining any of your groups on the basis of your attitude here
  • FeebRyan
    Nor am I going to post any personal information, like how far I ran today because i know damn well I will be shot down and treated like dirt by people who will spin things to make out I am running a marathon next month (or whatever it will turn into next) I'll find my support from elsewhere. I should have known better than to post on here.
This discussion has been closed.