I'm running a marathon...

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    are you suggesting that in a years time I will be unable to run 10k comfortably? I think I will be able to run 10k in a few weeks, judging by most advice on t'web and from friends who run regularly.

There just seems to be some people intent on putting me down here and I am not sure why. I am not saying 'here I am, I am fat and I am going to run a marathon in 17 weeks' I am saying I will work for the next 9 months to make sure I am ready to start the training and then I will train hard for one.'

I don't understand the negativity, it doesn't seem to be shared by any other racing community.

I have read every response and I do not see one single person trying to put you down. I think every one has been very supportive and those that have posted are concerned for your health and safety. A year is not a long time. A year is short. A year passes very quickly. I have heard many people talk about doing C25K and have had to repeat weeks b/c even that program can be hard work when you are just starting out.

No one is telling you that you can't do it - they are trying to tell you how to go about safely. You talk about spending the year training and running the marathon all in the same pair of sneakers. Realistically - you will need a few pairs between now and then. Or you will end up with injuries. Why not do a half marathon to raise money for your friend?
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    I've never talked about doing the whole year in one pair of trainers.

Another poster who cant read. Again, I am sorry I posted for support here.
  • scraver2003
    Why am I still getting advice from people who are ignoring that I am taking a year (at least) to do this, in one post its 'oh you are looking for couch to marathon in 17 weeks) and in the next post it is 'oh yes you've added a further 6 months to your goal' when both are totally contradictory.

I only want advice from people who can read and yes (girl in the pink) you have been damn unsupportive.

I have no intention of joining any of your groups on the basis of your attitude here

A year is not a very long time. The girl in pink has been very supportive. She is concerned for you. She took the time to post some very good advice. No one is giving you attitude. Good shoes are important. Weight training is important. Incresing your milage slowly is important.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    are you suggesting that in a years time I will be unable to run 10k comfortably? I think I will be able to run 10k in a few weeks, judging by most advice on t'web and from friends who run regularly.

There just seems to be some people intent on putting me down here and I am not sure why. I am not saying 'here I am, I am fat and I am going to run a marathon in 17 weeks' I am saying I will work for the next 9 months to make sure I am ready to start the training and then I will train hard for one.'

I don't understand the negativity, it doesn't seem to be shared by any other racing community.
    Nobody is putting you down nor is anybody being negative. We are trying to guide you to finishing a marathon uninjured and also trying to get you to understand how big a task that training for a marathon is (even training for 18 months to do it).
  • FeebRyan
    twisting my words to make out that I am attempting to go from couch to marathon in 17 weeks and so on is not supportive.

Its bloody odd.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Why am I still getting advice from people who are ignoring that I am taking a year (at least) to do this, in one post its 'oh you are looking for couch to marathon in 17 weeks) and in the next post it is 'oh yes you've added a further 6 months to your goal' when both are totally contradictory.

I only want advice from people who can read and yes (girl in the pink) you have been damn unsupportive.

I have no intention of joining any of your groups on the basis of your attitude here

I'm so sorry that you don't like the advice you're being given, and I'm sorry you see advice as not being supportive. That's no ones intention at all, we're all experienced runners trying to offer our advice given the fact we've done it and have been immersed in the running community for years. I think it's hard for some of us to follow exactly what the goal is when you start with "wing it", say you can complete a 5k in an hour, say you think 17 weeks is enough to train, then change the goal to 1.5 years from now. We're just trying to keep up! I don't think anyone here has been disrespectful at all and I'm so sorry to hear our time trying to help you as a new runner, is in vain. :(
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    I agree with every response on here as well. I am definitely not a runner, but I started doing the Couch to 5k about a year ago (yes a YEAR!) to start running more and fall in love with it. And guess what? I strained my groin muscles so bad that I can no longer run. These people on here are trying to prevent that from happening to you. I am very fit and active, too. I know for a fact that if I didn't get hurt, I would not be ready for a marathon in a years time. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Even if you ran the first few miles of the marathon and stopped to walk, you most likely wouldn't be able to maintain a 15 mile pace because you would be so beat.
  • aswearingen22
    Next year, to raise money for a friend of mine who is paralysed from the waist down. I am going to fundraise and give any money I get towards him getting a new wheelchair that is suited to his needs.

I am currently 17st and very out of shape, I intend on doing a marathon in exactly a year.

Please any advice, training or otherwise and any support would be good.

I have a Nike+ watch that helps me see how far I have gone and I will just be trying to wing it!

This is your first post. You asked us for our advice and specifically on your training. That's all we've tried to give you. I really do hope you've found some of it helpful!
  • scraver2003
    Just because people are not giving you the advice you want to hear does not mean they are being unsupportive.
  • FeebRyan
    I have NEVER said that I want to complete a marathon in 17 weeks, NEVER

I said that I want to be fit enough in 9 months to START a 17 week training programme, that is ALL I have said, a year was the guide in THE OPENING POST so dont you dare try and say that I have 'changed the goal posts' because I HAVEN'T

It has ALWAYS been next year.

Fact is, the London marathon training system suggests that you can run 15 miles a month before you start training. That is fine, that is doable. Trying to make out it is impossible is just a stupid thing to do, there is no point, I've ALWAYS given myself a year and I haven't actually FOUND a marathon yet so it might even be longer than that.

This word twists is NOT supportive it is rude and unhelpful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just because people are not giving you the advice you want to hear does not mean they are being unsupportive.

Correct
  • FeebRyan
    My first post which you IGNORED and said I was wanting to do a marathon in 17 weeks!

Goodness me you can quote but cant read the words you are quoting? This is just crazy.
  • FeebRyan
    If people would give me advice and support on what I am actually doing rather than a fabrication that would be a good start.

Thank you to the guy who mentioned getting new running shoes in 9 months so they are broken in, that is good advice

thank you to the guy who pointed me in the direction of the New Forest runs and the Bournemouth Marathon, I reckon that is the closest one I can get to and my family can come and support me etc.

But if you think I am grateful to people who have made up LIES about things I have said, then you are wrong.
  • aswearingen22
    From the London Marathon site

It’s also important to withdraw from the race if you’re not fully prepared. You should have a good indication of your fitness from your training, but as a benchmark, if you can’t comfortably run 15 miles a month before the race, you probably won’t be able to safely complete the Virgin Money London Marathon.

You actually misread this quote from the London Marathon site. This is saying if you can't run 15 miles at one time a month before the race, then you won't be able to run 26.2 on race day. Not run 15 miles a month before starting training.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member

It’s also important to withdraw from the race if you’re not fully prepared. You should have a good indication of your fitness from your training, but as a benchmark, if you can’t comfortably run 15 miles a month before the race, you probably won’t be able to safely complete the Virgin Money London Marathon.

You actually misread this quote from the London Marathon site. This is saying if you can't run 15 miles at one time a month before the race, then you won't be able to run 26.2 on race day. Not run 15 miles a month before starting training.

This!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Bump for later....

I just finished 10k training, need info on Half Marathon
  • FeebRyan

Oh the Irony!
  • aswearingen22
    Well I'm exploring other avenues as well as here and most of those say that if you are in fairly good shape, you need to train for 16 weeks before a marathon. So say I do one in the later part of next year (which is fine, it doesn't have to be April, it depends which race I do/get into/find etc) I will need to get myself fit 16 weeks before the marathon and then do an intensive course, that is not impossible, lots of people run marathons who do not train for 3 years like is being suggested here.

Its not that I am not able to take advice, it is just vastly contradicted by the information given on many other sources, like for example the London Marathon page which gives a basic training guide for 2015.

As I said, worst comes to worse I will walk for half of it.

I just went out for my first run, am knackered and ran practically no distance at all... I have a lot of work to do!

My post saying "coach to marathon in 17 weeks" was in jest, I know you didn't mean that, so sorry that tone can't come across on message boards, that's unfortunate. I was saying it doesn't seem like you're taking the base needed before training starts is being taken seriously, from posts of yours like this. You just say you need to be fit (or in fairly good shape) before starting a 16 week training plan. I'm sorry if you meant "running fitness", or "have a good running base", I didn't read between the lines on that. My fault. I was trying my best to give you the advice you were seeking. So sorry if things got confused, never my intention!
  • FeebRyan
    Bump for later....

I just finished 10k training, need info on Half Marathon

Hi there, this is looking good

https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-marathon-training-plan/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I actually think it was misread as being able to run 15 miles in the whole month... As people were posting about having to have done 25-40 miles over the period of a month before starting marathon training.
This discussion has been closed.