New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hi Kathleen, welcome to our little corner of myfitnesspal-where you'll find many knowledgeable and encouraging supporters here-eager to kindly share their experience with you-on what has-or hasn't worked for them in the past.

Changing jobs is a major lifestyle change. It's great you've found the awareness along with finding the need to move forward now-by taking control over your self healthcare. Very commendable.

My best wishes for your success Kathleen, I welcome the opportunity to help you reach your blood sugar goals whenever possible.

~Bob
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Hi, I'm Sandra. I was diagnosed with IR last month. I am currently on diet and exercise and will revisit with my Dr. in June for further evaluation. I'm on a low glycemic diet and a whole bunch of herbal supplements, which will hopefully keep me from tipping all the way over.

I have been chronically unwell for a few years and felt it could be diabetes. Diabetes is the family business on paternal side and I am quite familiar with it. My Dr. said I was fine, but I wasn't. I finally went to an internist who is also trained in naturopathic medicine and had a boatload of blood work done. I am seriously IR, with the corresponding indicators for heart disease. This has kicked me into action and I'm diligent in my care about what I eat. I have practically memorized the glycemic index. I do not want to be on insulin if I can help it and I'm doing every thing I can to avoid the possibility.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Hello.
    I was recently diagnosed Type 2. Diabetes on both sides of my family and half native so I should have known better than to let myself get fat.
    But, here I am.
    And I have to say, it might be the best thing that ever happened to me.
    I hit 40 and all hell broke loose. Began to lose my vision. Slept all the time. Generally felt like crap. I have a problem with doctors, so I never went. Then one day my boss, who is Type 1, tested my blood sugar and ordered me to the doctor.
    The weird thing, doctor put me on Janumet and that was it. Didn't tell me what to eat, or how bad it was or anything? I think he wants to see where I am after a month, cause that's when the next appointment is. I've learned everything from the internet.
    Yes, I know it's time for a new doctor, but he's been my doctor since I was 6.
    I've lost 15 pounds and my eyesight is back to normal, so that has to be good right?
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Hi,

I'm 41 and both parents have diabetes (my mom since she was 35). I had gestational diabetes in all of my pregnancies and needed insulin. I recently realized that I am prediabetic (a1c crept up from 5.7 to 6.0) but my doctor didn't show concern at the time. I recently had read bloodsugar101 after recommendation from people here on mfp and I realized that my numbers were prediabetic.

I still had my blood sugar monitor from my pregnancy so I bought test strips a couple of weeks ago and have been monitoring my blood sugar. It has been quite depressing. Since I am not overweight (unlike my mom was when diagnosed) I thought I was in good health. Especially after losing 23lbs here on mfp.

However, I am now consistently seeing fasting sugars 105-125, 1 hr post meals are up to 150. And these are for carb controlled meals: 3-4g C at breakfast and 10-12g C at each meal, 5g C at snack. In total maybe 35-40g carbs a day. When I was losing weight I was on 150-200g carbs a day. My blood sugar after my usual oatmeal and banana breakfast (I thought it was healthy but it's 65g C), is 160-190). I now eat veggie and eggs or skip breakfast entirely.

I don't want to go on medications, it rules my mom's life and my experience with taking insulin was horrible.

How low do I go with reducing carbs? Or with weight loss?

How can I put exercise to best use?

Is a lchf diet manageable long term ?

Thanks all.
  • bdubya55
    Hi, I'm Sandra. I was diagnosed with IR last month. I am currently on diet and exercise and will revisit with my Dr. in June for further evaluation. I'm on a low glycemic diet and a whole bunch of herbal supplements, which will hopefully keep me from tipping all the way over.

I have been chronically unwell for a few years and felt it could be diabetes. Diabetes is the family business on paternal side and I am quite familiar with it. My Dr. said I was fine, but I wasn't. I finally went to an internist who is also trained in naturopathic medicine and had a boatload of blood work done. I am seriously IR, with the corresponding indicators for heart disease. This has kicked me into action and I'm diligent in my care about what I eat. I have practically memorized the glycemic index. I do not want to be on insulin if I can help it and I'm doing every thing I can to avoid the possibility.

Hi Sandra!, welcome to the type 2 diabetes support group and our little corner of myfitnesspal.

For many individuals physical activity and any weight loss if needed-along with reducing carbohydrates in our daily diet can help the body respond better to natural insulin production without the help of medications. These lifestyle changes can also help to reduce the risk for diabetes and heart disease. Studies have been shown these changes have the greatest benefit and impact in reducing insulin resistance.

You'll quickly find this group to be genuinely supportive and encouraging eager to share their knowledge and experiences with you.

Wishing you the success your reaching for towards your goals.

~Bob
  • bdubya55
    Hello.
    I was recently diagnosed Type 2. Diabetes on both sides of my family and half native so I should have known better than to let myself get fat. But, here I am.

And I have to say, it might be the best thing that ever happened to me. I hit 40 and all hell broke loose. Began to lose my vision. Slept all the time. Generally felt like crap. I have a problem with doctors, so I never went. Then one day my boss, who is Type 1, tested my blood sugar and ordered me to the doctor.

The weird thing, doctor put me on Janumet and that was it. Didn't tell me what to eat, or how bad it was or anything? I think he wants to see where I am after a month, cause that's when the next appointment is. I've learned everything from the internet.

Yes, I know it's time for a new doctor, but he's been my doctor since I was 6. I've lost 15 pounds and my eyesight is back to normal, so that has to be good right?

Hi kikityme!

Please know you didn't ask for a Type 2 diabetic condition. It's not your fault. I've heard from many others living with this condition say they're grateful to learn they've been diagnosed, myself included. IMO, it's great your T1 boss encouraged you to seek help after your test result. I've also heard from countless others and their experiences when initially diagnosed and the lack of education the received and how to safely move forward.

As you've already discovered-the internet is a valuable resource tool. A tool not much developed or available to me when I was diagnosed. Yes, I'm old.

I would encourage you to seek out a recommendation from your doctor to a diabetes education course in your area as many newly diagnosed with this condition find them to be very beneficial.

Additionally, take a look at the pinned diabetic online resource thread within this community to help you gain a better understanding of type 2 diabetes. And when you feel comfortable, ask questions. There are many very knowledgeable, supportive members of this group to help you out whenever possible.

Best wishes for good health and success!

~Bob
  • bdubya55
    Hi,

I'm 41 and both parents have diabetes (my mom since she was 35). I had gestational diabetes in all of my pregnancies and needed insulin. I recently realized that I am prediabetic (a1c crept up from 5.7 to 6.0) but my doctor didn't show concern at the time. I recently had read bloodsugar101 after recommendation from people here on mfp and I realized that my numbers were prediabetic.

I still had my blood sugar monitor from my pregnancy so I bought test strips a couple of weeks ago and have been monitoring my blood sugar. It has been quite depressing. Since I am not overweight (unlike my mom was when diagnosed) I thought I was in good health. Especially after losing 23lbs here on mfp.

However, I am now consistently seeing fasting sugars 105-125, 1 hr post meals are up to 150. And these are for carb controlled meals: 3-4g C at breakfast and 10-12g C at each meal, 5g C at snack. In total maybe 35-40g carbs a day. When I was losing weight I was on 150-200g carbs a day. My blood sugar after my usual oatmeal and banana breakfast (I thought it was healthy but it's 65g C), is 160-190). I now eat veggie and eggs or skip breakfast entirely.

I don't want to go on medications, it rules my mom's life and my experience with taking insulin was horrible.

Thanks all.
  • bdubya55
    Hi,

Thanks all.

Hi Welcome soupandlettuce!

I commend you for taking a proactive approach in light of your healthcare providers' non-concern by using your meter again to help track and understand how the food choices you've made effect your blood sugar levels.

Countless studies have proven the association of being overweight is not necessarily the only singular factor in contracting a diagnosed condition of type 2 diabetes. Your 1hr pp 150 test results if consistent suggest cause for concern given the 35-40g carb meal plan you're currently following.

As an insulin dependent T2 diabetic in addition to the other medications I take to manage this condition don't rule my life, if anything these medications will help me to prolong my life hopefully without complications and without shame.

There are countless people successfully managing healthy blood sugar management by following a LC/HF diet, as evidenced by the video posted below by Gentyl; "I think this is something every diabetic should see."

http://youtu.be/TR8rc_AF6XU

Wishing you success and good health!

~Bob
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Hi,

Thanks all.

Definitely try to work at least 30 minutes of exercise per day into your routine. My diabetes educator said that this was like taking 5 units of long acting insulin per day as far as increasing my insulin sensitivity. I was insulin dependent and have gotten off it, but maintain the exercise regime. Now with metformin, diet and exercise I keep my blood sugars in the normal range.

You are already pretty low on carbs. I haven't tried a lchf diet, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. There are many people who are very successful with it. You might give it a try and see what it does to your blood sugars and whether or not it is a diet you can live with long term.
  • soupandlettuce
    [/quote]

As an insulin dependent T2 diabetic in addition to the other medications I take to manage this condition don't rule my life, if anything these medications will help me to prolong my life hopefully without complications and without shame.
    [/quote]

Thanks Bob,
    I didn't mean to shame or blame anyone taking medication or insulin to manage their diabetes. I'm sorry if I caused offense.

My mom is on multiple medications for many health conditions including insulin. I can see that I am following in her footsteps, and she has really suffered from health complaints for many years at a relatively young age.

I had a hard time being pregnant, having to time and plan meals and taking large doses of insulin. I just want to delay that (I think it's an inevitable) progression from prediabetic to diabetic then insulin dependent, as long as I can.

Yes, I have been doing a lot of research and have watched all the NZ low carb videos. They are really inspiring. Thank you.
  • soupandlettuce
    [/quote]

Definitely try to work at least 30 minutes of exercise per day into your routine. My diabetes educator said that this was like taking 5 units of long acting insulin per day as far as increasing my insulin sensitivity. I was insulin dependent and have gotten off it, but maintain the exercise regime. Now with metformin, diet and exercise I keep my blood sugars in the normal range.

You are already pretty low on carbs. I haven't tried a lchf diet, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. There are many people who are very successful with it. You might give it a try and see what it does to your blood sugars and whether or not it is a diet you can live with long term.
    [/quote]

Thanks for your advice. I am better at controlling my diet but I realize that I will have to begin exercising as well.
    Well done on your blood sugar control. I will be ok taking metformin, if it means I can eat a little more carbs which will be easier for long term diet compliance. Lchf is not easy to do, and I am having a hard time sticking to it, especially since I am not seeing the normal blood sugar levels that I was hoping for.

Anyone on here taking armour thyroid? I wonder if that is affecting my blood sugar also?
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    GreenTurtle55

I'll send you a friend request - my friends can see my food diary. I don't really eat low carb because of one of my meds. My dietitian told me to include a serving or 2 of carb food (15-30g) at each meal and balance with a couple of servings (14 g.) protein, and a serving or 2 of fat (5-10 g) as well as a fruit and a veggie. I keep with that balance and don't find many BG spikes after eating. I also stay away from most processed foods and desserts - except for special occasions. Helps limit the cravings. My meals are pretty boring during the week since I work, but they work fine for me.

I've been t2 for a while but only got serious about controlling it about 2 years ago when my mom died. She had many medical problems that I could see for myself down the road - and her last few years were not very good quality. I want to live until I die :) So I read everything I could about diabetes and found a good endocrinologist and her diabetes educator/registered dietitian. When I started, my fasting numbers were in the 160s. I am now consistently fasting in the 80s/low 90s. I take 500 mg metformin xr once a day and Bydureon subcutaneously once a week. My last a1c was 5.9. I have lost 94 lbs. and gained a new life. I had hoped to get off all my meds, but there's no telling if I'll be able to do it. I'm more interested in keeping my numbers down and the complications away. I began this journey to health Sept 1, 2012 and feel so much more energetic and healthy.
  • bdubya55

[/quote]

Thanks Bob,
    I didn't mean to shame or blame anyone taking medication or insulin to manage their diabetes. I'm sorry if I caused offense.

My mom is on multiple medications for many health conditions including insulin. I can see that I am following in her footsteps, and she has really suffered from health complaints for many years at a relatively young age.

I had a hard time being pregnant, having to time and plan meals and taking large doses of insulin. I just want to delay that (I think it's an inevitable) progression from prediabetic to diabetic then insulin dependent, as long as I can.

Yes, I have been doing a lot of research and have watched all the NZ low carb videos. They are really inspiring. Thank you.
    [/quote]

No offense taken. My apologies for my poor choice in words. Its unfortunate you had a horrible experience using insulin.
    Sending best wishes your way in finding a plan that will help you reach your goals.
  • john_john1
    john_john1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I am John, I am 50 years old, I have benn diagnosed with 1.37 g/l of sugar in blood for the first time, the doctor put me under severe diet and i will have another blood test in 2 months, do you have special recommendation for me please?
    i have to lose 10 kilogramme and decrease my BMI from 30 to 27.
    John
  • bdubya55
    Hi John,

Welcome to the MFP Type 2 diabetes support group!

You’ll quickly find by looking around the various thread topics, there are many members of this group eager to help, by offering their genuine support and encouragement. When you feel comfortable ask questions if you have any.

One of the most frustrating issues with having this condition, it’s a very individualistic journey. What food choice works for one individual-may or may not work for someone else. Each of us is unique-has different blood sugar target goals-in addition to the different diabetes medications, and any other medications we take.

As T2 diabetics we're carbohydrate intolerant. Many people find reducing their carbohydrate consumption by avoiding white starchy foods, bread, rice, pasta and processed foods as much as possible helps to reduce high blood sugar levels. Finding a meal plan that's going to work for you will take time and will require a lot of patience too. Adding in frequent exercise will help to reduce insulin resistance often associated with having type 2 diabetes.

The myfitnesspal program is a powerful tracking tool when applied correctly to help you make better food choices towards improving your blood sugars. Did your doctor prescribe or give you a blood sugar meter to use between now and your next blood test? By testing before meals-and testing again 2 hrs after meals you'll quickly learn what affects the food choices you've made had on your blood sugars after your meals and snacks.

I encourage you to seek out a diabetes education course in your area from your healthcare provider. Many newly diagnosed people have found these courses to be very beneficial to them after completion.

bloodsugar101.com - is a great site designed to guide and answer any questions you might have in addition to help ease any confusion as you move forward.

I welcome the opportunity whenever possible to offer you any help I can.

Good luck!

~Bob
  • MEGSWY
    MEGSWY Posts: 2
    Hello!

My name is Meg and I just joined the group. I was diagnosed with Type 2 last year. My A1C was just over 7.0, but my tryglycerides were through the roof! I've managed to cut that number drastically and my A1C was 6.3 the last time I had it checked. Currently I only take one Metformin at dinner time and watch my carbs and excercise. At least that is what I *was* doing. I have slacked off in a big way this winter so I need to get back on the wagon.

I did a Couch to 5K program last year and ran my first 5k in the fall. I am planning on taking that route again and getting back in the habit of counting my carbs and calories here.
  • bdubya55
    Hello!

My name is Meg and I just joined the group. I was diagnosed with Type 2 last year. My A1C was just over 7.0, but my tryglycerides were through the roof! I've managed to cut that number drastically and my A1C was 6.3 the last time I had it checked. Currently I only take one Metformin at dinner time and watch my carbs and excercise. At least that is what I *was* doing. I have slacked off in a big way this winter so I need to get back on the wagon.

I did a Couch to 5K program last year and ran my first 5k in the fall. I am planning on taking that route again and getting back in the habit of counting my carbs and calories here.

Hi Meg, Welcome!

Congratulations on the improvements you've made along with the Couch to 5K program you completed last year. Well done!

I can empathize with your slacking off experience too. T2D requires 24/7 management with all the things we need to do and isn't an easy task to be sure. It's great you've turned back to this program to help you reach your goals.

You'll quickly find a lot of genuine support and encouragement from other contributing members of this group eager to share their experiences living with this condition.

Have a look around the various other thread topics in our community. Your questions and contributions will be warmly welcomed.

Best wishes for your continued success.

~Bob
  • Hello, my name is Holly. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year ago and have been in denial, because I didn't feel any different. Last week I went for my follow-up blood work and my A1C was 8.6 and my fasting blood sugar was 273. I also found out that my diabetes has started to damage my kidneys. Needless to say, I'm scared and paying attention. I take metformin 2/day and glimerpride 2/day.

I just joined myfitnesspal to help me keep track of what I was eating. I'm really trying hard to make better decisions, eating right and exercising. I went to the grocery store over the weekend and left in tears because I couldn't find carb friendly food other than fruit and veggies.

If anyone would please help me along this new journey, offer recipes, exercise tips and encouragement, I'd be forever grateful!

I hope I posted this correctly. :happy:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Hello, my name is Holly. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year ago and have been in denial, because I didn't feel any different. Last week I went for my follow-up blood work and my A1C was 8.6 and my fasting blood sugar was 273. I also found out that my diabetes has started to damage my kidneys. Needless to say, I'm scared and paying attention. I take metformin 2/day and glimerpride 2/day.

I just joined myfitnesspal to help me keep track of what I was eating. I'm really trying hard to make better decisions, eating right and exercising. I went to the grocery store over the weekend and left in tears because I couldn't find carb friendly food other than fruit and veggies.

If anyone would please help me along this new journey, offer recipes, exercise tips and encouragement, I'd be forever grateful!

I hope I posted this correctly. :happy:

Hi Holly! The best thing I found when going to the grocery is to think protein: meats, cheeses, yogurt and cottage cheese, eggs, peanut butter, nuts for snacks. Wander around the internet, there are a lot of places that offer low carb recipes as well as snack ideas.
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    Hello everyone, I'm Jena. I've been Type 2 since 2005 with a lot of ups and downs between then and now. I've recently been on the biggest down yet, and my last A1C was over 11. I stopped checking my sugars and ignored my diet. I work full-time and am also a full-time student, so I've used that as an excuse for the last year. I'm tired of feeling awful all the time, and afraid of what will happen to me if I don't shape up, so I've renewed my efforts and started using MFP to help me keep track of my diet and meal times.

I'm interested in finding other super-busy people to inspire me and share their tips for staying on track amidst the chaos!