When did people notice your loss?

Replies

• xRay85Rayx
    xRay85Rayx Posts: 369
    Coworkers started to notice after the first 50 pounds? Idk... Really didnt bank on their thoughts/opinions.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    I get more flattered when people notice my work ethic. Take the compliments where they come.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    It's nothing about jealousy. More like you are not sure if the person has lost weight or not and don't want to make a fool out of yourself saying something about it. Better to wait until you know for sure.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    I know, I know...it shouldn't matter what other people think but its great being complimented on all your hard work and thus far, no one seems to have noticed my 16 pound weight loss...(my stats are 5'0, starting weight 147.5, currently 132).....out of curiosity, when did people really seem to notice....

How strange, we have similar stats: I'm 5' ish, and started at 146, I've lose 23lbs and am now at my initial goal weight of 123lbs.
    I met a friend yesterday who said offhand oh, have you lost some weight? 23lbs for little ones like us is a lot!
    However, I didn't get any comments until I was below 130 (when it became obvious) and I also didn't notice much change in body shape until then.

Good luck!
  • 26MORE2GO
    26MORE2GO Posts: 21 Member
    Between 16 and 20 pounds in.

Sometime after the 20 pounds mark, I had someone ask if I were gaining weight! lol

I normally wear baggy clothes and they seen me in a Tank Top only. (Thats the only way I can explain it)
  • albajrai
    albajrai Posts: 12 Member
    I remember that once i lost 20 lb no one noticed... and two of my friends told me that i gained weight !! imagine that!
    But i know my scale , measurements and clothes are more honest.

After i lost another 20 lb people start noticing my weight loss and start complimenting and still complimenting.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Only my husband - who was helping me track and log noticed until I had lost about 18kg, I had expected a reaction sooner I think, then I got 4 in one week. two of which were both aggressive and rude - but hey ho.

Some of it, I think, had to do with my changing out of bigger baggier clothes into clothes that fit me better.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    at around 15 lbs the first noticers. then a whole slew at 20 lbs. by 25 lbs they were bored.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

Sometime after the 20 pounds mark, I had someone ask if I were gaining weight! lol

I normally wear baggy clothes and they seen me in a Tank Top only. (Thats the only way I can explain it)

I am SOOOOOOOO curious to know where you got away with wearing a tank top only?
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    There's one person at work who has been claiming she sees the difference, I'm not certain if she's just trying to make me feel good though. I don't see it yet, but I'm not taking pictures.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    During your weight loss there are several "flip points" where your body shape drastically changes within what seems like a very short time. I started out severely overweight, and for the first 50 pounds no one noticed! Then within a couple of weeks I started getting comments. Now I'm in the "no one is noticing further progress" phase, but I'm starting to see changes that will be noticeable very soon, probably within the next 15 or so pounds. It's like I'm the same shape but getting smaller so people see your general shape and overlook the size.

I'm guilty of that myself. My cousin lost about 20 pounds and I only noticed to comment last week. So far she looked the same to me, just because she was the same shape in my head. When she came to visit last week and her belly magically disappeared, I was baffled.

Now I'm an extreme case since I started over 300 pounds, but it's the same in general for anyone. It usually coincides with the times you absolutely need a change of wardrobe because your old clothes look like potato sacks on you making you actually look more overweight. If you are wearing the same clothes you used to wear, people may not notice. Buy something new and form flattering and you will start getting complements in no time.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    I didn't have much to lose, just trimming a bit of fat around the edges, so they noticed after about 5kg when i regained my waist curve.
  • 26MORE2GO

I am SOOOOOOOO curious to know where you got away with wearing a tank top only?

haha, I meant up top.
  • 26MORE2GO
    . Now I'm in the "no one is noticing further progress" phase, but I'm starting to see changes that will be noticeable very soon, probably within the next 15 or so pounds. It's like I'm the same shape but getting smaller so people see your general shape and overlook the size.

Im at that point as well. Since adding more weight training to my workout plan the scale isnt moving down as fast, but my body composition is changing for the better. My friend recently stated that I was no longer losing any of my stomach. I told her I am, the change just isnt as drastic when compared to the rest of my body.

Im noticing my chest becoming more defined and my triceps stick out a lil further now. My work clothes are starting to fall off of me.

A good problem to have no doubt.
  • domeimazn
    domeimazn Posts: 7 Member
    Don't feel discouraged! Some folks are probably uncomfortable. I had a person comment to my friend when she noticed and didn't do it directly because she didn't know me that well. I'm sure folks notice, just afraid to say anything just because they are unsure and don't want to offend you just in case you didn't lose it. Keep it up!
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    even though I had gone from 144 lbs to 118, nobody noticed until I started buying smaller clothes to show off my figure. Now everybody thinks I am "so skinny" even though all I did was get some new clothes. They just can't see it if you are wearing baggy clothes. Just bought myself a $5 dress at the 2nd hand shop and everybody started to notice! I am 5 feet 1 inch so we are similar in size. I started noticing weight loss myself around 20 lbs, and at 28 lbs lost, I felt like a supermodel. Give it 5 more lbs, then get yourself some new duds, and you'll be FLOATING on all the compliments :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I think people are scared of making 'personal' comments. If they know you are trying they might say something but otherwise they are afraid of making you think they thought you were bigger than you were, or you may be ill! Only 1 person (besides hubby) has mentioned my weight loss so far and they were very cautious but have also been trying themselves. They probably do notice but don't like to mention it. Keep going - you are doing it for the way you feel as well as how you look - soon you will be sure it's noticeable
    :smile:
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Oddly enough it was this week that I received two comments. I'm at 21lbs lost. Both from people I have not seen in a while. One my oldest friend that I talk often on the phone but do not get to see often. The other an elderly male customer.

I particularly liked the elderly customers comment. He inquired if I had lost weight early while I was handling his transaction. I just said yes, I was trying to do so. No other details. We completed the transaction, he left the room and then came back. It was his effort to come back that I appreciated. He only came back to provide some encouragement in my continued process of weight loss I thought that was nice of him.

I have to say, I think as other posters have commented . . . some people are afraid to comment and sometimes it is the clothes we wear.
    If anything, while you are waiting on the comments . . . just smile and enjoy the secret you know that no one else knows.
  • RideRunRepeat
    RideRunRepeat Posts: 54 Member
    when I lost 60 pounds before, no one noticed until I lost at least 45 lbs...then after that as I lost the last 15...pretty much everyone noticed. Of course, at that point I was at my healthy weight and got an entire new set of clothes that were my correct size. :)

Now...I'm expecting at least 25-30 pounds before I'm 'thin' enough for people to notice again :)
  • shygirladventures
    shygirladventures Posts: 8 Member
    10 pounds. That or maybe I started wearing tighter shirts or something. Also, it might have something to do with body composition. I feel that when I lost 10 pounds, some of it had to come off my legs and mid section and those are probably where people notice weightloss. Gotta work on the arms lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!