looking for nutritarian friends

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    And isnt most of this discussion rendered moot because of vitamin supplements?
    Nope. I don't think there's consensus that our bodies absorb the nutrients from vitamins in pill form the same as food, and there are many more nutrients (using that term broadly) than the average person's "One a day" supplies.

In terms of bioavailability, nutrients from food are more easily absorbed. But you will also be getting nutrients from food in addition to pills if you take a multi.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Nope. I don't think there's consensus that our bodies absorb the nutrients from vitamins in pill form the same as food, and there are many more nutrients (using that term broadly) than the average person's "One a day" supplies.

In terms of bioavailability, nutrients from food are more easily absorbed. But you will also be getting nutrients from food in addition to pills if you take a multi.
    From the handful covered by that multi. If you take a good one.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

malnutrition is extremely rare in the western diet. extremely rare. so the presumption that a so-called nutritarian diet provides a richer dietary intake of micronutrients seems a bit spurious to me.
    Are you sure it's "extremely rare"? I'm not.

sorry, i must have missed the news reports on that last mass-outbreak of scurvy we had. :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm

malnutrition is extremely rare in the western diet. extremely rare. so the presumption that a so-called nutritarian diet provides a richer dietary intake of micronutrients seems a bit spurious to me.
    Are you sure it's "extremely rare"? I'm not.

sorry, i must have missed the news reports on that last mass-outbreak of scurvy we had. :tongue:
    I'm glad you're confident about malnutrition. cheers smart A.
  • BrainyBurro
    Me!!!!! Plant based here!!!!! Open diary!!!!!

Only thing I won't give up is my Greek yogurt :) and hot cocoa and Stevia

Other than those things plant based all the way I even make my own peanut butter no added sugars :)

Do you seriously frequently eat <50g of protein daily??? And frequently <20g fat???

Egads.

In addition to worrying about the damage you have done in the past (per your motto on your profile page), you may also want to give some strong consideration about the present and future.

I believe protein is overrated I have a number of reasons I believe this! The China study is one reason. If u want glowing skin and energy for days try a plant based diet. It is hard and scary to break away from the old ways of things though! So it may not be for you!

Good luck on your journey

the China Study is propaganda. thoroughly debunked propaganda. don't cite it as evidence if you want to be taken seriously.
  • wheird

i think this is the point reality_is_harsh is making. you don't get extra credit for eating more micronutrients than your body can actually use.

Yes, that is my point. :)
  • wheird
    Me!!!!! Plant based here!!!!! Open diary!!!!!

Only thing I won't give up is my Greek yogurt :) and hot cocoa and Stevia

Other than those things plant based all the way I even make my own peanut butter no added sugars :)

Do you seriously frequently eat <50g of protein daily??? And frequently <20g fat???

Egads.

In addition to worrying about the damage you have done in the past (per your motto on your profile page), you may also want to give some strong consideration about the present and future.

I believe protein is overrated I have a number of reasons I believe this! The China study is one reason. If u want glowing skin and energy for days try a plant based diet. It is hard and scary to break away from the old ways of things though! So it may not be for you!

Good luck on your journey

If you want glowing skin, eat plenty of fats.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

i think this is the point reality_is_harsh is making. you don't get extra credit for eating more micronutrients than your body can actually use.

No, you don't get extra points. But what's the big deal if a group of folks want to call themselves something, and eat with nutrition as the center of their decision making?
    Why all the snark toward the OP? That's my point.
  • BrainyBurro

No, you don't get extra points. But what's the big deal if a group of folks want to call themselves something, and eat with nutrition as the center of their decision making?

the snark is not aimed at the OP. it's aimed at the crackpot Dr. who cooked up this "theory" to try and sell books.
  • wheird

I am sorry, I didnt realize that I had been snarky in this entire thread. I thought I was adding my opinions, very respectfully, into the discussion.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    quote]
    Quick, somebody Google it!

Per wiki:
    A nutritarian is a person who has a preference for foods that are high in micronutrients.

The term “nutritarian” was coined by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. In his book, Eat to Live, he offers this health equation while describing the nutritarian approach to health:

Health = Nutrients/Calories (or H= N/C for short).

In other words: the more nutrients you consume per calorie, the healthier you will be.

Nutrients in the numerator (top part of the equation) include vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. Since these are found in small quantities in food, they are considered to be micronutrients. Caloric sources in the denominator include the macronutrients: fat, carbohydrate, and protein. We need to meet our micronutrient needs without consuming excessive calories.

A high N/C diet is also called “nutrient-dense” or “nutrient-rich.”

In the Standard American Diet (SAD), about 6% of the total caloric intake comes from nutrient-rich foods.[citation needed]

Nutritarians eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, onions, mushrooms, whole grains, beans, and berries, and particularly consume leafy greens, which are the most nutrient-dense foods. A nutritarian strives to consume at least 90% of their diet from these foods.

A nutritarian diet will lower the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and even such conditions as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.[citation needed]

Nutritarians do not necessarily exclude animal products. Many nutritarians do choose to be vegan (excluding all animal products). Many vegetarians, however, are not nutritarian, if they frequently consume products containing processed grains, oils, sugars, or salt.

It takes a bit of education to become a nutritarian. One must learn the relative nutrient density of various foods. For instance, many people are surprised to learn that bok choy has more calcium per calorie than whole milk, and even than “2% fat” milk. The same is true for many other leaf greens.

so basically it seems like getting the most nutritional bang for the buck.
    [/quote]WOW, talk about going overboard. I couldn't do all that. Good luck to ya
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

I think the value of the dietary approach is worth discussing.

It doesn't sound "wrong" as long as somebody isn't using it to be orthorexic (is that a word). It doesn't sound like something we all necessarily need to try either.

ETA: the "health=" equation concerns me. Spurious health claims concern me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

It doesn't sound "wrong" as long as somebody isn't using it to be orthorexic (is that a word). It doesn't sound like something we all necessarily need to try either.
    Discussing. Absolutely. The first 15 or 20 posts didn't seem like discussion. It seemed more like the gate at the dog park when a new and younger pup arrives.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

the snark is not aimed at the OP. it's aimed at the crackpot Dr. who cooked up this "theory" to try and sell books.
    And thus, the OP's beliefs.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Discussing. Absolutely. The first 15 or 20 posts didn't seem like discussion. It seemed more like the gate at the dog park when a new and younger pup arrives.

This is MFP after all.
  • BrainyBurro

And thus, the OP's beliefs.

only people looking to be butthurt would see that connection.

if i told you that Star Wars was stupid, would you take that as a personal attack?