So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

hedean
hedean Posts: 40 Member
I know someone who lost weight and maintained it for a bit, but then realized he wasn't able to enjoy life as much. He sort of thought "life is too short to be worrying about being thin". He has gained back the weight and now is a jolly, older man with no regrets regarding his lifestyle.

I have such high hopes for how much better I will feel without the extra weight, but is it actually worth it? Does life then become less enjoyable because we're not quite as free-spirited when it comes to eating food?

Replies

• tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    In my experience, when i was lighter.. I had more confidence. And that to me, is worth more than overeating and not watching my cal intake. :-)
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    I believe in living life to the fullest so I cheat on my diet when I want to but the good thing is now that I am trying to get this weight off I don't want to often so that's the great part. It's mind over matter and portion control,eat what you want just not all the time and don't over eat.
  • hedean
    Yes I believe that I'll one day agree with you. I can't imagine finally reaching my goal and then saying eh, I'd rather just be fat and lazy again.
  • snowflakeln99
    snowflakeln99 Posts: 54 Member
    I'm no where near there yet but I can't imagine it NOT being worth it. I know that when I'm at a lighter weight, I feel healthier, stronger, & am ready to get outside & enjoy nature (not to mention LIFE) so much more. Curious to see what type of answer you get here. ;)
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    I had more energy & less highs/lows mood wise, much better at a normal weight--for me it's the sugar addiction, now that I am more careful no more high/lows & sleeping better as well as looks, jolly old fellow maybe but popping Meds so to control high blood sugar or hypertension not so very merry-- it is the ultimate end directly related to obesity - not so jolly and in later life it is what gets ya, I,ve been in medicine 25 yrs, know better so trying to get it together now because stroke free healthy old is better for me......
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    While I am not quite at my goal yet, the improvements so far are totally worth it. I have learnt new coping skills, I am happy, active and a great role model for my children. There are so many facets to how I improved myself over the last 9 months, and really I don't find it to be that much of a drag. Ever time I truly want to indulgent in food, I do. Sometimes I make smarter decisions and sometimes I don't. Personally, I think that if it is that much "work" to lose weight or maintain your lighter weight, you are doing it wrong.
  • hedean
    Personally, I think that if it is that much "work" to lose weight or maintain your lighter weight, you are doing it wrong.

Thanks for that! I think you are definitely right. I think that when people really go off the rails with weight loss, it's because something is wrong. I will think of that lots from now on when my mindset is that it's too hard for me to keep going.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I don't think being "skinny" was really my goal, I wanted to be healthier and improve my fitness.

Being able to go for a six mile run when I'm stressed out has improved my coping skills.

Being able to regulate my food intake and being conscious of what I eat has allowed me to feel control over my eating and body that I lacked at 240+lbs.

Being able to be naked and not feel uncomfortable with my body has made me more relaxed and happy in my relationship.

Being able to fit in clothes where I live (Asia) instead of having to import them from the UK or US has saved my bank-book.

Being able to quit smoking and drinking in order to help me meet my fitness goals has lengthened my life.

Being able to eat and drink what I like but exercising MODERATION has meant none of this has felt like a chore.

So, although I am happier with what I see in the mirror, my life has changed in many more ways than just being "skinny". So IMHO, yes. Totally and utterly worth it. You couldn't PAY me to go back.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    For me it has become just doing things to be happy. I wasn't happy when I was at a heavier weight so I did something to change it.

Now, exercising makes me happy, eating good food makes me happy because it keeps my energy up. At the same time, eating cookies and ice cream makes me happy too. It's really all about finding a balance

It's not so much that being "skinny" makes me happy, but living a healthy life does and is definitely worth it for me at least.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    People often buy into this idea that being thin will solve all your problems. It doesn't. You're the same person when you lose weight just a smaller version. There are pros and cons to being at higher or lower weights!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    I know someone who lost weight and maintained it for a bit, but then realized he wasn't able to enjoy life as much. He sort of thought "life is too short to be worrying about being thin". He has gained back the weight and now is a jolly, older man with no regrets regarding his lifestyle.

I have such high hopes for how much better I will feel without the extra weight, but is it actually worth it? Does life then become less enjoyable because we're not quite as free-spirited when it comes to eating food?
    I've never been thin, so I don't know if its worth it the struggle to lose it. I do know that it sucks being overweight. I am tired of my legs and feet hurting. I am tired of having asthma. (Since I dropped 25 lbs, I only have to use my inhaler when I get a bad cold.) I don't like feeling out of shape and uncomfortable and embarrassed over my weight.

It has to be worth something to not feel like crap, and if giving up sugar or crap food means meeting my goal, than yeah, its worth it.

On the plus side, I haven't given much up food wise. I just am mindful of serving sizes, and getting more exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    While being skinny was never my goal, I can say that having been at maintenance for a year and half has been happy and positive. I never restricted my food choices, so moving into maintenance just meant more of the good things I was already eating. I have mastered the science and art of managing my food and exercise to sustainable levels.

I have all new clothes, I have a lot of energy. I sleep well. What's not to like about that?
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    I agree with what others have said, it was not about being skinny but healthy and active. Being able to go jogging and walking without being in pain is incredible, I still cant get over the difference in how I feel.
  • becalm
    becalm Posts: 31
    I think it is worth it. When I lost weight, i felt more confident and wanted to do more things and go out more. I am happier and healthier.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    When I first started MFP my goal was to be skinny but that has changed over the last two years. Now I want to be fit and healthy. I don't know if skinny will make me happy but I do know that when I don't eat right I feel awful. I want to feel better about myself and not feel yucky like I did when I ate bad all the time. To me that's more worth it than looking skinny.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I've personally always preferred being slim and fit. I eat around 2000 calories a day. Have vacations of eating 2500 to almost 3000 calories a day. In many ways I am very free spirited. Skinny dipping. Sexually. Etc. I love dancing. I love hiking, being active. But this is just my preference.
  • andysmom
    andysmom Posts: 61 Member
    People often buy into this idea that being thin will solve all your problems. It doesn't. You're the same person when you lose weight just a smaller version.

This! For sure. But if you don't go into your weight loss journey expecting it to fix everything in your life, you'll find that losing weight can help you learn how to deal with those other things better. I have been up and down my whole life, between 140 and 240 (mostly over 200). Now at age 52, I am currently at right around 160 and I don't think I've every felt better! Do donuts still sound good? Sure. Do they still taste good? Who knows? Cause I know it's just not worth it. Yesterday I started a one month boot camp. Today while doing glute lifts, I looked down at my stomach and legs and thought, "Wow! Not bad!" For me that's better than a donut any day!

Hang in there and trust yourself. I think you'll find it's worth it - and then some!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    I was never so self-conscious in my life as I was when I was about 10 lbs "underweight". Naturally, that is. Still, strangers I didn't know comment on my body, ask me what size I was, make assumptions about what I did/didn't eat. I didn't want to wear tank tops or t-shirts, because I would, without fail, get a comment from sad middle aged woman about how tiny I was, and how did I maintain such a body? What's my secret, hmm?! So rude, invasive, embarrassing. People would assume I couldn't lift things, I was constantly mistaken for being 13-15 (I'm turning 21 this year...), bleh just a whole bunch of embarrassing things. Which is the reason I joined MFP, actually. To gain and maintain! I've got a petite frame, technically only meet a BMI of 18.something, but I fully fill out a size small now (up from XS) because of the way my weight sits on my frame, and the comments have finally stopped. I feel less androgynous, less boyish and finally a lot more feminine and womanly.

So, is SKINNY worth it? I wouldn't say it's something you should aspire to.... find a healthy medium/body type that works for you. Where you don't have to restrict or obsess over calories to maintain a certain weight, but also where don't feel like giving up and hiding under big t-shirts in the summer.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    double post
  • Who said you had to be skinny? You can get to a normal healthy weight and maintain. You can enjoy foods with out overdoing it. I just had 1/2c ben and jerry ice cream. Didn't need the whole container.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!