Is it really bad to work out every day?

I wouldn't mind working out every morning or every night, even if I cut down my work out to 30 mins, though I'd prefer a full hour.

My partner tells me that's not healthy and I need to rest as I am anaemic and I get sore and bruisy easily.

Is this really true or does t not really matter if you don't rest every second day?

Replies

• JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Your body will tell you when to rest, trust me.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Yo. I'm forever anemic.

I workout pretty close to everyday.

I do rest, by utilizing different types of workouts on different days. If I do an upper body strength day, I'll rest it the next and allow it to recover, etc.

Also, it's not a good idea to do intense cardio every single day, so varying running with cross training, walking, dancing, swimming, at differnet rates of effort, can be sufficient.

I have a job where I work most days and get a workout on the clock. I don't have a choice but to exert and conserve energy as needed to get paid. I'm not suffering by any means. If your body can handle it, then by all means.
  • rdsxfn
    rdsxfn Posts: 58 Member
    I work out every day. I don't do cardio every day. I don't weight train every day. A variety of workouts helps avoid muscle fatigue at least in my experience. I'm doing P90X3 and so every 4th week is also a "recovery" week. I don't take any days off unless my body tells me i need to rest.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Also, some of my "working out" involves play time... not scheduled workouts.

Getting thrashed around a mosh pit or taking a bike down the water front or hiking with the dog are all part of my daily exercise, and I don't feel drained and overworked by any means, even when I use exercise for leisure.

If you're relatively normal in terms of being able bodied, taking an iron supplement (and citrus to absorb it) should help you.

I have a recessive blood gene which makes me anemia manageable, but not curable, and I still get moving within reason. Of course I stop and rest if I get tunnel vision or heart problems, but those instances are incredibly rare even for me and generally are related to some abnormal factor (like catching the flu but not showing symptoms yet, and being unaware of the fever/dehydration).
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Your body will let you know when it needs a rest. If your typical workouts are high impact cardio or heavy weight training that rest day could mean taking a short jog or doing yoga or stretching instead. If you are injuring easily or physically exhausted then yes rest and give yourself a chance to recover but if you are feeling good then go for it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Depends on what the workout is.

As intervals have proven in studies - your body's response to a brief hard load and then recovery is better than just a middle of the road for longer.

That applies to your day to day routine too.

So a hard day (intervals, lifting, sprints, ect) is followed by an easy day (pilates, yoga, swimming, easy cardio), you'll get better response from the body.

Especially in a diet, when your recovery is impaired anyway.

How many people judge their workouts is on did they push hard? Well, you can push hard when tired, and it feels the same as when you push hard and not tired. But the performance obviously is different.
    You push hard everyday and eventually the performance will come down to a low level - now you are just stressing the body and not allowing time for recovery.

Because exercise if done right tears the body down.
    It's the rest for recovery and repair that actually allows it to be built back up, and stronger if diet allows.

Many wouldn't even have a clue that is happening until they take a rest week and go back at it, or skip every other day workouts and discover the other half can be done harder with better effect.

Just like lifting.
    If you can squat 300 lbs with fresh muscle to exhaustion on 5 rep, but when tired you can only do 250, then your muscle isn't really overloaded with the 250 no matter how it feels at 5th rep, there is no need to build stronger. It's just tired.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I wouldn't mind working out every morning or every night, even if I cut down my work out to 30 mins, though I'd prefer a full hour.

My partner tells me that's not healthy and I need to rest as I am anaemic and I get sore and bruisy easily.

Is this really true or does t not really matter if you don't rest every second day?
    Since you are anemic and you get sore and bruise easily, you need to discuss this with your doctor.

I exercise 5-6 days a week and do fine. In fact, it's ldaily exercise that eliminates my soreness.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Just don't do weights everyday. I know a lot of dancers and athletes that do cardio almost every day, but apparently you have to rest for weights to do their job (the muscles are actually being built/toned on your rest day, not the day you do the weights. Lifting weights causes microscopic tears which are repaired and improve the quality of the muscle on your rest day). The hardcore weight lifters on this site seem to rest at least every other day from weights, although some programs like the Jillian Michaels DVDs suggest you work out 5 or 6 days a week with 1 day of rest, however those are only 25 - 30 min long and so require less rest than the serious weight sets some people do. But I have never heard of "needing" to avoid cardio unless you are really tired. For anemia, double check that it is not "pernicious anemia" i.e. a B12 deficiency due to lack of intrinsic factor in the gut, masquerading as an iron deficiency. For that, B12 supplements would make you feel better, particularly the sub-lingual easy to dissolve kind, the liquid kind, or, if those don't work, a lot of people get regular B12 shots from their doctor or osteopath, and they make you feel amazing.
  • I don't think so. I work out every day but then again 2 of those days are my easy workout days. I do weights 5 days a week and 2 days are a bit of cardio. As long as you're okay with it. Listen to your body.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    It depends on what you're doing.
  • Nuttynutnuts
    Nuttynutnuts Posts: 16 Member
    I really enjoy working out so I do it most days.

I try to vary my workouts. I like to run, swim, go to pump class, yoga, go walking, and use the cardio and weight machines at the gym, I just try and do a different thing most days. The variety keeps it fun as well! I think if I was running every day it wouldn't be so good for my knees and ankles.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    I don't think so. I work out every day but then again 2 of those days are my easy workout days. I do weights 5 days a week and 2 days are a bit of cardio. As long as you're okay with it. Listen to your body.

^^^ I agree
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    I think its fine as long as you mix it up. I split my lifting up so legs one day, arms and chest another, back & abs another. then cardio, bootcamp, gym circuit etc.
  • Yeah that definitely sounds like a good idea - those saying to alternate types of work outs every day.

My general work out is every second day at the moment, but I am constantly sore, like literally most days I'm limping a little.

The way i have been working out was about 30 mins of cardio, 15 and the beginning and the end, and then in between i do arms, abs, back, chest and legs, then the other half of cardio and then stretches and such.

Is this a bad way to go about it? Am i not working each muscle for long enough?

I just feel like when i am actually working out, if i do a bit of everything I dont feel as tired or strained, and it is easier to work every part each time. is this going to hinder my toning and weight loss?
  • maybe not relevant but my mum's low levels of iron turned out to be she had coeliac disease...?
  • Yeah Im actually dairy and Gluten intolerant. I dont get as sick as somene with coeliac, I have been tested as my family has a history of it, but i am intolerant of both anyway.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Getting thrashed around a mosh pit or taking a bike down the water front or hiking with the dog are all part of my daily exercise, and I don't feel drained and overworked by any means, even when I use exercise for leisure.

YEAHHHHHHH. MOSH PIT WARRIOR <---
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Yeah that definitely sounds like a good idea - those saying to alternate types of work outs every day.

My general work out is every second day at the moment, but I am constantly sore, like literally most days I'm limping a little.

The way i have been working out was about 30 mins of cardio, 15 and the beginning and the end, and then in between i do arms, abs, back, chest and legs, then the other half of cardio and then stretches and such.

Is this a bad way to go about it? Am i not working each muscle for long enough?

I just feel like when i am actually working out, if i do a bit of everything I dont feel as tired or strained, and it is easier to work every part each time. is this going to hinder my toning and weight loss?

Since that workout is every other day - that's not bad at all, at the start it can take awhile for body to recovery fast enough, but it gets better - if diet allows.
    Too big a deficit will impact the improvements possible from exercise if done too frequently.

Now, if actually still sore by the time of the next workout 2 days later, it's still trying to repair. You throw another heavy load on muscles still repairing - you just killed the repair process, and wasted part of your prior workout effort.

And that can easily explain why still sore - you are never fully recovering before you do it again. Try skipping another day, just doing light cardio to aid in repair, so put another day in there before you do the lifting again.
    Once they repair fully, you will be able to get to every other day finally.
  • That is really helpful thank you.

I think I am at a 350 calorie deficit atm.

What do you mean when you say light cardio? like brisk walking or?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    <---Works out every day. Me so unhealthy. :laugh: