counting calories with no or little exercise

what does the body look like when someone loses weight without exercise? im curious cuz im one that doesnt like to make myself exercise. and i just want to know if i can have a nice body without the exercise?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    what does the body look like when someone loses weight without exercise? im curious cuz im one that doesnt like to make myself exercise. and i just want to know if i can have a nice body without the exercise?
    Depends what you mean by a nice body.

There are plenty of people with nice bodies that arent particularly in shape physically. Some call them 'skinny-fat'.
    They are just thin.
    To get a rocking body, then yeah ya are going to probably want to exercise to tone up those muscles once they become visible.

Plus, exercise will help lose the weight.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    I once heard it said like this, "Skinny people look good in clothes, fit people look good naked." I'll take naked please! :blushing:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    If you are happy with your shape as it is now but just want it smaller exercise is not necessary.

If you don't mind a "softer" look about you since you are female yah no worries...you will just be softer than someone who lifts.

Cardio doesn't make you any less softer either....

Resistence training does.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    I once heard it said like this, "Skinny people look good in clothes, fit people look good naked." I'll take naked please! :blushing:

this.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    It seems like this would depend on a few things, one being genetics, another how much weight you have to lose. You may end up thin but with lots of extra skin everywhere and that looks 'flabby'. You might look ok fully clothed but not so hot naked.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Being thin doesn't necessarily mean you'll be healthy... just healthier than you were. Being fit AND thin necessitates having a healthy workout schedule too. So in my opinion, losing all your excess weight without a healthy workout makes me believe that you will have what people may call an "average" body with no muscle tone. Alot of it also depends on genetics and existing skeletal/muscle structure.
  • thavoice
    If you are happy with your shape as it is now but just want it smaller exercise is not necessary.

If you don't mind a "softer" look about you since you are female yah no worries...you will just be softer than someone who lifts.

I dont know about that. I can def tell the ladies who do alot of cardio, running in particlar, to those ladies who are just skinny without exercise.
  • jess_9981
    jess_9981 Posts: 42 Member
    Believe me, I ain't one who likes excercise as well, but you will feel better about yourself and find that you will have more energy. I would recommend it though. Download Runtastic/Pedometer, great apps!

GET UP AND GET MOVIN'

• Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    I lost my initial weight just through calorie deficit with no exercise. I also lost most of my bodacious booty, and have had to gain it back in muscle now that I've take up weight lifting. I'd suggest trying to maintain as much muscle as you can while losing weight; it doesn't need to be endless cardio but just something that gets your heart rate up and gets you sweaty, maybe 3 times a week.
  • ackman2002
    ackman2002 Posts: 69 Member
    Depends what you mean by a nice body.

There are plenty of people with nice bodies that aren't particularly in shape physically. Some call them 'skinny-fat'.
    They are just thin.

My father-in-law last 150lb (300 -> 150) just by dieting over a year + period using MFP. He's skinnier now, but he's not fit. His skin isn't tight and toned, i'm not saying its lose or baggy or anything like that. But really it's what Badkitie05 said, and no I haven't seen him naked.
    "Skinny people look good in clothes, fit people look good naked."
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    You can look at my pics. Other than walking I only exercise sometimes.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    If you want to be thin but not have any muscles then just cut your calories and lose the weight.

If you want to lose weight faster, gain strength, gain muscle and definition and look and feel better then you need to add exercise to your plate. Preferably weight training. Just doing cardio will burn calories but won't give you the muscle definition that makes you look better.
  • keke0904
    keke0904 Posts: 28 Member
    with me not being so "active" which would better for me running or weights?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member

Personal preference but expect to see a bigger body composition difference with weights.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

A smaller version of the current you......that's what you will look like.

A few things to consider
    1. The smaller (future) you will require fewer calories to maintain your weight....forever
    2. You will be losing fat+muscle....which why you will look like you do now....just smaller
    3. Losing muscle mass further erodes your metabolism. Muscle actually burns calories at rest, fat does not.

Losing weight should be about health......a lower body fat percentage is healthy. Exercise has so many health benefits too. It doesn't have to be crazy hard. Just make a point to move more. Wear a pedometer, track your steps. Make a goal of increasing the number of steps. Weight ( or resistance) training is the thing that helps you keep muscle mass. This is use it, or lose it. This is why some elderly people can look so frail. Body weight exercises help here......squats, push ups, planks. Again it doesn't have to be crazy hard.

When people have lots of weight to lose & don't incorporate some exercise.....skin might not snap back as well.
  • thavoice
    Both.

People, especially women, are afraid that weights are going to 'bulk them up' but in reality is it takes quite a bit to really get a bulked up look.

You can easily do weight training and wont look bulked...just nicely toned
  • keke0904
    keke0904 Posts: 28 Member
    how fast does muscle form? and does weights help with cellulite?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I dont know about that. I can def tell the ladies who do alot of cardio, running in particlar, to those ladies who are just skinny without exercise.

Yes you can but they are still softer than women who do resistence training...my sister was a cardio queen and was slim...but not a lot of definition in her upper body...legs looked great etc...

Now she does resistence training (not heavy lifting) and is lean and hard but still curvy...you can tell she uses something other than a treadmill...

to the OP you wont gain muscle you will just retain what you have and lose the fat to uncover the muscle if you do resistence training. As for the cellulite....I think losing fat does that...

You don't have to "lift heavy" any form of resistence training and you will be lean and not "soft"
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    You can be thin without exercise but you cannot be fit and toned.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    how fast does muscle form? and does weights help with cellulite?

If you eat at surplus and lift heavy weights I think the general wisdom is you can put on about 0.5 pounds to 1 pound of muscle per month as a man and probably less as a woman.

If you are at a calorie deficit designed to lose weight you won't put on muscle.