[365-day streak] My Most Effective Recipe

Replies

• Thanks for the recipe!
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    I did make this and added a bunch of bell peppers to the recipe and just used the canned tomatoes and no tomato sauce. It was delicious, thanks for the recipe! Very filling when you add a bit of shredded cheese :flowerforyou:
    Great, thanks for the feedback!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Hi pals! I just passed the 365-day mark for logging every bit of food and exercise, and it's been a successful year.

I want to share the recipe I've come up with that is my favorite for three reasons: (1) it actually tastes good, (2) it's efficient for the amount of calories in a serving, and (3) it keeps me full for longer than any other meal of equal calories. And it's practical: it's easy to make a huge batch, and it freezes well and reheats well. I've made it public in the recipe database. Hopefully someone else out there might find this useful in their calorie-counting battle :)

Ryan's Mexican Rice & Beef

1 cup Brown Rice (dry)
    1 cup Beef Broth
    1 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
    1 tsp Olive Oil
    1/2 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1/2 can Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 can Tomato Sauce
    1 can Corn
    2 cups Salsa
    1 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika

In a large pot, bring simmer rice in 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup water for 45 minutes.
    While rice is cooking, brown beef in a large pan, then remove beef and set aside. In the same pan, heat olive oil and sautée onions for 8 minutes; add garlic, and cook 2 more minutes. Combine with beef and set aside.
    When rice is finished, add the beef, onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes.

Makes about 8 cups, each about 225 calories. Freezes and reheats well. Tastes great with melted cheddar cheese on top.

YUM!! Thank you for posting!
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Bump
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    That does sound good. Love recipes that can be made in larger batches and still tastes great when reheated. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Perfect. If the word Mexican is in the title I know it's for me. LOL Thank you also for including calories...posting a recipe on here with no idea as to the calorie content is almost useless.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,606 Member
    So, anyone try it yet??

I just made this for lunch. It was very good and filling. It made 9 and 1/4 cups. I added 1T of chedder cheese, really good. I used pineapple flavored salsa by accident (didn't see pineapple on the label), but it was still really good - maybe a tad sweet. I froze the leftover 1 cup servings in small ziplock freezer bags. I labeled them with cal count and pushed air out before sealing.

This was so filling for so few cals that I think it will be lunch often for me. Thank you so much Ryan!!
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Bump!
    Congrats on 365 days of logging! :flowerforyou:
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    sounds yummy
    bump
  • HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks! I think I'll try this next week for my lunches!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    sounds awesome! Definitely in my "to make" pile! :smile:
  • mhart72
    mhart72 Posts: 16 Member
    bump
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Hi pals! I just passed the 365-day mark for logging every bit of food and exercise, and it's been a successful year.

I want to share the recipe I've come up with that is my favorite for three reasons: (1) it actually tastes good, (2) it's efficient for the amount of calories in a serving, and (3) it keeps me full for longer than any other meal of equal calories. And it's practical: it's easy to make a huge batch, and it freezes well and reheats well. I've made it public in the recipe database. Hopefully someone else out there might find this useful in their calorie-counting battle :)

Ryan's Mexican Rice & Beef

1 cup Brown Rice (dry)
    1 cup Beef Broth
    1 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
    1 tsp Olive Oil
    1/2 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1/2 can Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 can Tomato Sauce
    1 can Corn
    2 cups Salsa
    1 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika

In a large pot, bring simmer rice in 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup water for 45 minutes.
    While rice is cooking, brown beef in a large pan, then remove beef and set aside. In the same pan, heat olive oil and sautée onions for 8 minutes; add garlic, and cook 2 more minutes. Combine with beef and set aside.
    When rice is finished, add the beef, onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes.

Makes about 8 cups, each about 225 calories. Freezes and reheats well. Tastes great with melted cheddar cheese on top.

Definitely Trying this tonight!! But since I don't have any beef, I'm going to have to use ground turkey, hope it comes out just as good :)
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Yummy. I love rice dishes. ;) I would definetely add some fresh cilantro to this, and/or fresh salsa or pico de gallo. Probably beans too cuz I'm crazy like that.

If anyone is looking for other rice/vegetable dishes I love kabsa. Its an arabic rice dish made with meat.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/al-kabsa---traditional-saudi-rice-and-chicken/

Clearly I use less butter. ;) FYI, I haven't tried the actual recipe, but it looks like about what I would use except for using less butter and only the tiniest pinch of cloves. Cloves overpower waaaaay too easily. Sometimes we cook and then brown some vermicelli and throw it on top.

Koushari is an egyptian vegetarian dish that is quite tasty too.

Rice pilaf with risoni pasta. Brown the risoni in a bit of butter/olive oil, and add to rice. You can boil them together. When I cook white rice I use a two parts water 1 part rice, measured in cups. Here's a basic recipe.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/20436/risoni-pilaf.aspx
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Looks Great! Gonna try this next week!
    Thanks!
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Bump
  • jaxxkida
    jaxxkida Posts: 27 Member
    Oh Thank you! Sound delish..will be trying this soon :smile:
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    bump.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Sounds great! Nice job on logging
  • adarlingdecortes
    adarlingdecortes Posts: 1 Member
    Made it last night - tastes wonderful! Having it again for lunch today. Very filling and tasty!