To Cleanse or NOT to Cleanse - that is the question.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Well good thing this is a program where you eat three meals a day. I cannot go without food, nor would i want to. But it does require that you not eat boxed or packaged products. Good ol produce and meats.

Well that right there tells you don't do it. Most detox / cleanse crap come packaged and boxed, so don't use that and just stick with the produce and meats
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Call it a detox or a cleanse - have you done it and what do you think. Complete food addict hoping to kick some cravings to the curb with a 21 day reset program. Thoughts?

Depends on how the "detox" or "cleanse" is set up.

As a general rule of thumb these are just marketing terms which do not have any real benefit. However abstaining from certain foods in the short term (before reintroducing them in moderation) can help lower circulating glucose levels and make "cravings" less severe.

In reality if you have problematic issues with bingeing then a cleanse or detox is not the long term solution to your problem.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    But it does require that you not eat boxed or packaged products.

that should be your goal at all times, not just during a "cleanse" ;)

Why?

maybe i misunderstood what the OP meant by boxed or packaged. my mind went to "processed and prepared" which should be avoided.

Meh - nothing wrong with 'processed and prepared' foods either
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    I have to agree with others that the "cleanse" concept is kinda silly. The body just doesn't work that way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    You shouldn't ask about this on here. Most people have not done them and do not know what they are talking about. Also it really depends on your goals and are you really ready to deal with detox symptoms? And will you have the time to rest to give your body a chance to heal? You do not have to buy things except maybe a juicer and veggies.

i cleanse every day it is called drinking water and peeing it back out ….

since you are so experienced with cleansing…please name one toxin a cleanse will get rid off that your body does not naturally get rid of on its own?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Well it shouldn't be a question, in fact I think any post with 'cleanse' in the title should be automatically banned.

Don't subscribe to some broscience idea that a cleanse will fix your problems. Maintaining requires hard work, just like losing weight does. A 21 day program is not going to permanently or even temporarily cure you of whatever it is that drives your cravings, it'll just make the company that you're buying this stuff off a lot of money.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    You shouldn't ask about this on here. Most people have not done them and do not know what they are talking about. Also it really depends on your goals and are you really ready to deal with detox symptoms? And will you have the time to rest to give your body a chance to heal? You do not have to buy things except maybe a juicer and veggies.

since you are so experienced with cleansing…please name one toxin a cleanse will get rid off that your body does not naturally get rid of on its own?
    Still waitin'...
  • I have done a detox/cleanse in the past and find them to be useful when done for the right reasons and done properly. 21 days feels like a pretty long time - the longest I've ever gone is a week, and prefer to just give my body a jump start with 4-5 days instead.

In my experience, I have done them to jump start an elimination diet to identify food intolerances or to help me get back on track after overdoing it during the holidays - to help kick cravings or boost my immunity before cold season. Never for the goal of weight loss.

I think that they tend to be overly relied on in the health & wellness industry (and I'm a health coach!) as a quick fix for losing weight or as a gimmick like many others have said.

All that said, I think that if you want to do it to reset your palate and help with cravings, move forward with a cleanse/detox program that focuses solely around whole foods and getting rid of some of the major food offenders that might be making you feel less than amazing (sugar, refined/processed foods, caffeine, etc.).

I wouldn't recommend going the pill or extreme juice cleansing route. Eat whole real foods that are nutrient dense if you're going to do it at all. And also remember that if you do detox, it may bring up many other areas in your life that need a cleansing too (your home, your beauty products, your relationships, your emotions, etc.) It sounds woo woo, but it's the truth. :)

Good luck!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Well it shouldn't be a question, in fact I think any post with 'cleanse' in the title should be automatically banned.

I was thinking maybe stickying a "cleanse" thread so people would stop posting about it, but I think your option is better.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Your body doesn't need to be reset. You're not a Playstation.

This is probably the best response I've ever read on this forum board, ever.

Also as long as you're pooping, peeing and sleeping right I don't think you have any need for a "cleanse" or "detox". That is what your kidney & liver is for.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399

Still waitin'...

crickets.jpg
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    for me I have done plenty, our body already cleanses itself through our liver, since following MFP I feel good, I will say the few weeks I went vegan and started my day with a home made shake consisting of lemon juice, some water, some apple, carrot , kale and parsley, I felt FANTASTIC, so much energy, then as with everything I tired of making it.
    sighhh yes ill start it again, really I felt awesome
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

Why?

maybe i misunderstood what the OP meant by boxed or packaged. my mind went to "processed and prepared" which should be avoided.

Why?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    I did the Norovirus cleanse inadvertently for a week once. By the end I was hallucinating and one spew away from heading to the hospital to be re-hydrated. Definitely not recommended.
  • I did it once and it don't work only while you doing it .21 DAYS way to long ,I don't think its healthy and i would never do it again.Good ole fashion way to lose weight is exercise and eat healthly only way to goo.DETOX & FAD DIET DON'T WORK !!!!
  • adrianhelen
    adrianhelen Posts: 31 Member
    I did the Advocare 24 day challenge. The first 10 days was an herbal cleanse. I found this to be very helpful to get me turned around diet wise. It concentrates on clean eating. My advice, do a cleanse that has real food. Don't juice cleanse and all that junk. It's really not good for you. The main aspect of a cleanse is to help detoxify which means removing waste and toxins from your system.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I did the Advocare 24 day challenge. The first 10 days was an herbal cleanse. I found this to be very helpful to get me turned around diet wise. It concentrates on clean eating. My advice, do a cleanse that has real food. Don't juice cleanse and all that junk. It's really not good for you. The main aspect of a cleanse is to help detoxify which means removing waste and toxins from your system.

Which toxins are being removed?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Why?

But why?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Why?

Meh - nothing wrong with 'processed and prepared' foods either

I prefer prepared food, ever try to eat an un-peeled orange?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Call it a detox or a cleanse - have you done it and what do you think. Complete food addict hoping to kick some cravings to the curb with a 21 day reset program. Thoughts?

As long as you are eating all of your micro nutrients, sufficient protein and fats - cutting out any food group for 21 days will do you no harm.

You may see/feel a difference, you may not.

Give a go - you won't know until you try it.