Not reaching my goals! HELP!

Alright so my calorie goal is usually 1570 a day but with my exercise routine it has bumped up to 2666 and there's no way I can eat that much food in one day. I was logging food and had almost reached my limit and then I logged my exercise and it all went downhill. So my question is, how in the world can I get the amount of food I am needing when I can barely reach the first goal in the first place?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Are you accurate? What are you basing your exercise calorie burn from? 1000 exercise calories a day is a lot.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but almost 1,100 calories from exercising is a LOT. Is there a chance you could be overestimating?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    How are you tracking your calorie burns? Do you use a heart rate monitor? 1000+ calorie burns in a day is really quite a bit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Yes 1k burn is a lot...what exactly did you do for exercise? how do you calculate your burns?
  • Hi !

How do you track your calories burned ? Do you have a HRM ?

It's a huge amount of burns 1000+

Do you burn this every day ?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Echoing the masses - how are you measuring that burn?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    With full contact kick boxing mine is 2900! No way! I'm in maintenance right now. I eat around 1900 so far without losing or gaining. I didn't eat "back" all of my exercise calories while losing. You could add 100 and week and see if you're not losing too much (add more) or gaining after a certain amount (cut back).
  • All right. Every body take a step back. I realize that it is insane calorie burn. I just did what I read to do on here. I do 4 miles a day walking at 3.5 and an hour a day of circuit training every other day switching to 20 mins. I have to lose weight because I am enlisting in the Military and logging the exercises in this site, its saying that's the amount of calories I am burning. I am pretty new with this whole thing so no I do not have a heart monitor or anything that can tell me exactly how many calories I am burning during each workout.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    I found I lost MORE weight the month I was not exercising and therefore not eating back exercise calories (had a back injury). I finally figured out what it was. MFP's estimate of calories burned for most exercises is way too high, sometimes 4 or 5 times more than you are actually burning. Get one of those heart rate monitors if you can afford it, to see how many calories you are actually burning with exercise. Otherwise, do what I do - go onto other websites and search for how many calories people your weight are typically burning. So instead of logging like 400 cals for 1 hour of bellydance, I know I only burn about 150. And 30 min of walking only like 70 cals. 30 minutes of a Jillian Michaels DVD only burns like 150 cals for me, whereas MFP's circuit training estimate was giving me like 250 something, very off.

So if you are using MFP's estimates for exercise calories (and therefore the amount of exercise calories you are eating back), it is probably way too high and is why you are having problems at the moment. Unless you are doing 5 or 6 hours of exercise, it looks like too much.
  • This is very helpful for me. Thank you, it's much appreciated.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    All right. Every body take a step back. I realize that it is insane calorie burn. I just did what I read to do on here. I do 4 miles a day walking at 3.5 and an hour a day of circuit training every other day switching to 20 mins. I have to lose weight because I am enlisting in the Military and logging the exercises in this site, its saying that's the amount of calories I am burning. I am pretty new with this whole thing so no I do not have a heart monitor or anything that can tell me exactly how many calories I am burning during each workout.
    that does not sound like a 1100 cal burn
  • I know that. Thats why when explaining in that "quote" right there I said that that is what it is logging into this website.
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    I'm new here, as you can see. I've often been wondering about the calorie burn counters on My Fitness Pal. They seem way off. I've been logging the numbers recorded b the exercise machines at the Y, but I know not to trust those either. (I am also, given the 13 pound drop in the last few days, seriously questioning the accuracy of the bathroom scale...)

Does anyone know why the numbers generated by the MyFitness Pal software are so high? And is there a way to estimate them fairly accurately without a heart rate monitor?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    You can estimate 80-100 cal per mile. My running burn is about 90 cal per mile. Circuit training is debatable, really depends how hard you work and what you do
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I know that. Thats why when explaining in that "quote" right there I said that that is what it is logging into this website.

MFP can only give an estimate and it is often high. Most suggest eating back 50-75% of the calories it logs.

As for why they are so high not sure...I know when I do a HIIT routine from fitnessblender it gives a range and MFP is always on the high side of what they give...so for example my HIIT is 23mins...range is 163-223 calories burned..MFP will always be in the 200's.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Completely accurately? No.

Depending on the type of exercise, I've found MFP's #s to be relatively close...close enough anyway for me to be losing weight using them.

If something comes back where it just doesn't seem right, I'll just google what I did (ie - "How many calories do I burn doing X" and read through several of the results to get a basic idea of the range and estimate from there based on how intense I felt the workout was to me. Not perfect, but again it gets me pretty close.

Walking 4 miles? I'd estimate at 300 calories or so. An hour of circuit training - can vary greatly depending on how much you're cramming into that hour, but probably 150-250 cal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    All right. Every body take a step back. I realize that it is insane calorie burn. I just did what I read to do on here. I do 4 miles a day walking at 3.5 and an hour a day of circuit training every other day switching to 20 mins. I have to lose weight because I am enlisting in the Military and logging the exercises in this site, its saying that's the amount of calories I am burning. I am pretty new with this whole thing so no I do not have a heart monitor or anything that can tell me exactly how many calories I am burning during each workout.
    that does not sound like a 1100 cal burn

Yeah as a 6' tall man doing 55 minutes of rather intense aerobic cardio where my heartrate maintains at 85% of max through about 45 minutes of it I log that as being 400 calories. When I circuit train for 40 minutes with weights I log that as about 200 calories.

I would echo the sentiment that you are overestimating your burn there.

I think you might do better eating about 1900 to 2000 calories a day based on your exercise and that 2660 is too high.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    There is a burn rate but part of the formula is how much someone weighs. Someone who weighs 110 is going to burn fewer calories running a mile than someone who weighs 220 lbs. MFP takes that into consideration. I notice that I didn't burn as many calories this week as I did last week because I lost two pounds.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Unfortunately any estimation of calorie burn in any app is far too high.
    Using my HRM gives me average between 50 and 70% of any estimate, no matter how accurate they try to be (entering weight and age and whatever)
    Was quite a shock in the beginning as work out is not (yet) my favourite time spend. ;-)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    2 decent slices of cheese cake.

Done.

Do consider, as above, that if you're using MFP, it may well be over-estimating.

Also, if you've not got a massive deficit set, it's likely fine to have a bit bigger deficit for a day.