HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I know that lifting is very very good for your body in many ways. So, a question for you lifters out there:

How do you keep from being really sore and tired all the time? Lifting makes me so much more sore than running, and if I lift several days in one week I also just get ongoing fatigue. This didn't happen when I was running regularly (used to run about 18 miles a week before adding some lifting to my program.)

Also, lifting makes me ravenous! Any suggestions on how to deal with these two issues?

Right now I have cut back to lifting two times a week, but I am worried that is not enough to meet my goals. Any advice?

It really is better to keep to 3 x a week, I went down to 2 and am not seeing results as much. Try taking a week off now and again, maybe every 2 months. That's recommended in NRL4W, and it gives you a break and stops you getting sick of it! If you're hungry, eat! You need it. Keep it clean and high protein.

Getting in enough protien will help with the hunger...and getting in enough calories helps with the fatigue...

Being sore I can't really comment on I haven't really been sore...once after taking time off during vacation is the only time. It went away in 2 days tho and the final soreness left on my 2nd lift day after vacation.

You need to take full rest days between major lifts to help your body rest and heal...

As for your food and keeping it clean yah no that isn't necessary. Just eat food and get your macros as close to your mins as possible even going over.

Protien should be 1gram for each 1lb of lean body mass.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Im tagging this post for reference for the next time someone expresses concern that by lifting heavy I will pack on all those gross muscles!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    So I figured why not, here are some progress pictures. These are January 2013 and January 2014 so one year apart. Hoping to reach goal weight in the next few months and then maintain and just keep on lifting so that next January I have a great goal photo.

I hate cardio. I might randomly go walk a few miles with the kids when bored once a month or if really bored go run a 5k lol but I will not do it voluntarily. I have been lifting heavy since last February but do to my job as a nanny summer months mean maybe 4-6 times a month I make it to the gym since I work 12-14 hour days so my progress is slow.

190_zps811c3a1b.jpg

6945d5f7-c65f-4960-bbbb-7d7fe1c831df_zps4c2266d6.jpg
    160lbs

Since some people like lifting specs.
    Bench 135 1rm, 115 5x5
    Squat 260 1rm 200 5x5
    OHP 110 1rm 50 5x5
    Deadlift - I avoid due to back issues, I did 110 1rm for someone one day just because
    Leg Press is my baby, 450 2RM
  • Bump for awesomeness!:drinker:
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Just tagging so I can refer later. I'm reading NROLFW now, and am getting a home gym setup so I can do some lifting at home. Can't wait to show off some before and afters!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    This thread is amazing and inspiring me to get back to heavy lifting.

I lifted heavy for 3 months and saw more results during that time than the 2+ years of cardio/light machines. Had to take it easy when I got pregnant and eventually kinda fell off the wagon. Now I'm ready to get a better body than I had pre-baby and can't wait to see results! Just started Stronglifts 5x5 recently
  • SezxyStef
    So I figured why not, here are some progress pictures. These are January 2013 and January 2014 so one year apart. Hoping to reach goal weight in the next few months and then maintain and just keep on lifting so that next January I have a great goal photo.

I hate cardio. I might randomly go walk a few miles with the kids when bored once a month or if really bored go run a 5k lol but I will not do it voluntarily. I have been lifting heavy since last February but do to my job as a nanny summer months mean maybe 4-6 times a month I make it to the gym since I work 12-14 hour days so my progress is slow.

190_zps811c3a1b.jpg

6945d5f7-c65f-4960-bbbb-7d7fe1c831df_zps4c2266d6.jpg
    160lbs

Since some people like lifting specs.
    Bench 135 1rm, 115 5x5
    Squat 260 1rm 200 5x5
    OHP 110 1rm 50 5x5
    Deadlift - I avoid due to back issues, I did 110 1rm for someone one day just because
    Leg Press is my baby, 450 2RM

Just so you know I don't see slow progress at all your abs are amazing...I am hoping mine look like that after one year I would be jumping for joy...

As to your numbers I am way impressed...triple diget OHP is my goal atm...and your squat 1rm...nice...
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member

Just so you know I don't see slow progress at all your abs are amazing...I am hoping mine look like that after one year I would be jumping for joy...

As to your numbers I am way impressed...triple diget OHP is my goal atm...and your squat 1rm...nice...

Thanks. I guess slow more in that by the time I get good numbers on my lifts I take 3 months off almost and have serious regression in numbers. I had my squat to 300 1rm last spring. used to lift heavy though as a teen so ive always carried higher LBM then what ive seen typical.

I'm one of the lucky genetic people who has visible abs easy. Im excited to see then after I drop the laat 10-15lbs though. I'm jealous of those who got rod of dimpled legs thats my dream lol.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Yes I thought it was time...6months into lifting and I have comparison pics for the ladies who want to see that lifting doesn't make you bulky...

Left pic Day 1....right pic day 180
    438efa05-4d5f-4dfc-acf0-793fb050ce43_zpsca173290.jpg

Left pic Week 10 into Lifting...right pic day 180

eaf44056-33de-4985-937c-2e5494b06204_zpsd3f39026.jpg

I am very eager to get in the next 6months...Sept 9th 2014

I do however want to thank the ladies in Part 1 and 2 of this thread you were the inspiration for me...

ETA: when I started I was 178lbs...I am now 158...I have dropped a total of almost 20inches from resistence training...7 from lifting heavy and I have dropped 5% BF from lifting, almost 10 from resistence training. I always thought 6 months was a long time but it has flown by...

May I ask how many calories you were using on average during this time?
  • SezxyStef
    Yes I thought it was time...6months into lifting and I have comparison pics for the ladies who want to see that lifting doesn't make you bulky...

Left pic Day 1....right pic day 180
    438efa05-4d5f-4dfc-acf0-793fb050ce43_zpsca173290.jpg

Left pic Week 10 into Lifting...right pic day 180

eaf44056-33de-4985-937c-2e5494b06204_zpsd3f39026.jpg

I am very eager to get in the next 6months...Sept 9th 2014

I do however want to thank the ladies in Part 1 and 2 of this thread you were the inspiration for me...

ETA: when I started I was 178lbs...I am now 158...I have dropped a total of almost 20inches from resistence training...7 from lifting heavy and I have dropped 5% BF from lifting, almost 10 from resistence training. I always thought 6 months was a long time but it has flown by...

May I ask how many calories you were using on average during this time?

I averaged 1700 calories a day during this period of time and tried to get in at least 120g of protien.

I say averaged because through the week it was closer to 1600 but sometimes my weekends upped the average.

I averaged 3/4lb weight loss as well...looking forward to maintenance and lifting tho just to see what the next 6 months will do for me.
  • eahrenee
    eahrenee Posts: 157 Member
    I LOVE this thread!
    Such inspiration!

I too have been lifting weights, and doing cardio, and can't wait until I have progress picks.....

Thank you everyone for keeping me motivated!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    I know that lifting is very very good for your body in many ways. So, a question for you lifters out there:

How do you keep from being really sore and tired all the time? Lifting makes me so much more sore than running, and if I lift several days in one week I also just get ongoing fatigue. This didn't happen when I was running regularly (used to run about 18 miles a week before adding some lifting to my program.)

Also, lifting makes me ravenous! Any suggestions on how to deal with these two issues?

Right now I have cut back to lifting two times a week, but I am worried that is not enough to meet my goals. Any advice?

I make sure i eat enough, sleep enough and that I do mobility and I am rarely so fatigued or sore that I can't do anything else.
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Bump
  • lhermo
    lhermo Posts: 23 Member
    Replying to say that I LOVE this thread and just met with a trainer yesterday to learn proper form while lifting. Having progress pictures of my own to add to this thread will keep me motivated :)

Thanks for the inspiration!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    BMI says I'm overweight and that a "normal weight" would be 154lbs. I'm thinner, stronger today than I have ever been at 120lbs.

@ Day 1: 181.5lbs, 32%BF
    32.5" Waist
    38" Hips
    36" Navel
    23" Thighs

Day 108: 177.5lbs, 22.5%BF
    29" Waist
    34" Hips
    31" Navel
    21" Thighs

af99a540-670f-4b54-be71-f478a8134351_zps0ec411db.jpg

1st pic is Day 62, 2nd pic is yesterday (Day 107)
    (image removed by MFP Staff)

Today's back
    5252b77b-a3fe-41fd-b8a9-46e685c4da05_zpsa856b6de.jpg
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    OMG you guys, I think I'm doing it wrong because I STILL LOOK LIKE A WOMAN!!

14158774101_140d44465f.jpg

Please help, I've been waiting for my handlebar mustache to come in for months.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    LOL! Yessss!

You look amazeballs.
  • stacked
    stacked Posts: 51 Member
    Love this thread
  • how much weight do you lift.
    like for arms legs..
    can you tell me a bit about your routine
    thanks
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    This thread is crazy inspirational - keep the photos coming!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!