So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Replies

• SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    I never ended up getting overweight or obese... but in my early 20s, I smoked, barely exercised, and lived off of candy. I felt terrible. I got a wake-up call from the doctor BEFORE I ended up overweight.... my blood tests came back really bad and I had some endocrine problems. Likely if I hadn't changed my behavior then I probably would have ended up large in a short period of time.

I made the same major changes to my lifestyle that many other people have to do to lose weight.... although my body "size" hasn't changed all that much.

And, yes, it's worth it. Very, very worth it. I never want to go back to feeling like I did before. It's so much better to live in a strong and healthy body.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Being fat and lazy is why I came here, it made me feel totally disgusted with myself...I much rather be thin, confident , healthy and able to persue a long life because i took care of my body.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Honestly, for me, at this point it's a toss-up. I've gone from 220ish to 155ish but it's taken 5 years. I realize I'm not old by any means but I wonder if my age has something to do with it. I never felt bad when I was 220 and 24 years old - no aches, pains, energy issues, or health issues. I just didn't like the way I looked and I was tired of having a husband who was thinner than me. Now that I'm 29 and 155 I don't feel great. I don't have more (or any) energy. My health isn't perfect. I seem to have more backaches than I ever used to and I have one knee and one ankle that give me serious problems. More importantly I don't feel like I look THAT much better. My boobs are sad, my stomach is iffy, and my face is more angular and seems almost more masculine than it used to. I'm also hungry most of the time and miss being able to be satisfied by what I'm eating/drinking. I realize I'm not a special snowflake (or whatever snarky phrase is being used at this time) but I've been at this long enough to know that I have to eat a relatively small amount of food in order to lose or maintain and it will likely always be that way. It sucks. There are some things I love that I will never be able to fit into my day no matter how much I exercise and it's frustrating. I don't feel normal. I'm banking on there being serious health benefits in the future because otherwise it really hasn't been worth it to me.

I feel the same way right now, but then again, Spring allergies always get me down, and when I'm depressed and boogery, nothing in the world is good.

But it's hard, and it hasn't done much for my life, and I still don't look in any way acceptable naked (I do look damn good in clothes, though). I am also not a super human health specimen. My knees gimped on me and I can't jog anymore (that was depressing for real) I still have asthma and I still wheeze, and even though being thinner helps my social anxiety a lot, it's still not enough to make me actually want to be around people. Hell, that might not even be anxiety, maybe I just don't like being around people.

Anyway, the people who brush it off as breezy easy, just get to goal weight and eat at maintenance, have perhaps never used up energy that could have been used elsewhere wrestling with hunger all day. It's not cheap in any way to be a healthy low weight. Along with energy, I find it far more expensive on my already very limited wallet.

So is it really worth it? Maybe. Jury still out. If I ever decide it's not worth it, I can always get fat again.

Seriously???????????? :huh: :noway:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I don't want to be skinny. I want my A1c to be a decent number, along with my blood pressure and cholesterol. I want to be HEALTHY.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    It's 100% worth it to me.

I felt like I was 28 going on 80 when I was at my highest weight. I have no desired to have the mobility and health problems I had then ever again at any age.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    I didn't have much to lose, but at 5"2" every extra lb looked so heavy on me. I've lost 22 lbs so far and a few more to lose. But I feel better, healthier and with more confidence. No more unkind remarks from relatives and supposedly friends. YES, YES, YES, it is worth it!
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Of course it's worth it. Food is just food is just food. I seriously wonder why I would deny myself the experience of being healthy, happy and sociable and instead stuff my face with huge amounts of low-quality foods and feeling guilty and gross afterwards.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    To whoever said that "fat lazy sex" isnt any good....... have you tried it? If not then please do not talk about what you do not know. I have a friend who told me the only thing a "skinny" girl is good for is to toss around a bedroom but when he wanted good lovin' he got it from a bigger girl. Even my husband tells me he loved the sex more when I had more meat on my bones because he doent want a skeleton to make love too. Fit sex is good but so is BIG SEX and BIGGER SEX. Please stop being so shallow and realize that everyone looks better with some meat on them cause only dogs like bones.

WOW, you really went the wrong way girl. Chill out!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Of course it's worth it. Food is just food is just food. I seriously wonder why I would deny myself the experience of being healthy, happy and sociable and instead stuff my face with huge amounts of low-quality foods and feeling guilty and gross afterwards.

This!

It's funny you mentioned this, I wonder why so much food has such a control over me, I have moments when I just wanna indulge and over eat and pig out on crap, sometimes I feel like I just can't keep on. However, we should eat to live not live to eat.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    There is a lot more to enjoy in life than food.

Aside from sex, not really.

^^ this. and man, fitsex is sooooooo much better than fat lazy sex.

+2 Completely agree.

+3 Who else agree?

Not me! I like food but I also find other things in life that bring me more pleasure than eating. I eat to live, not the other way around. Sex is good too, and let's leave it like that...
  • karaharrison2012
    karaharrison2012 Posts: 32 Member
    It is VERY MUCH worth it. I never deprive myself. If I want something I eat it, no matter what it is, just in moderation. That has been the secret to my success. I have never been happier in my entire life. I can shop and look good in anything, not like before, when I would see a beautiful dress and look like a sack of potatoes when I tried it on, BUT everyone is different. Some people may be happy being overweight. I believe if it makes you happy, then so be it. I used to try and please others, but now I am out to please MYSELF! After all, no one has to live in my body but me! Good Luck, no matter what your goals are.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    If I was being skinny or the sake of being skinny I probably wouldn't be skinny! I am staying in shape to do what I love! This includes, Martial Arts, gardening, good sex, and keeping up with all the stuff I have to do pain free !
  • donnarogers6211
    donnarogers6211 Posts: 19 Member
    Being skinny is not my goal. Being healthy and feeling good about myself is my goal. After 130pound weight loss I am no longer a diabetic, no more high blood pressure and no more high cholesterol. That in itself makes it worth it. Other advantages are no more seat belt extenders on planes, no more knees killing me, and when I go to buy clothes I can actually get what I like not what happens to fit. I love to exercise now. I have a new rule at work. I work on the 6th floor and I havent been on an elevator in over a month. I climb the stairs 4 or 5 times a day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    To whoever said that "fat lazy sex" isnt any good....... have you tried it? If not then please do not talk about what you do not know. I have a friend who told me the only thing a "skinny" girl is good for is to toss around a bedroom but when he wanted good lovin' he got it from a bigger girl. Even my husband tells me he loved the sex more when I had more meat on my bones because he doent want a skeleton to make love too. Fit sex is good but so is BIG SEX and BIGGER SEX. Please stop being so shallow and realize that everyone looks better with some meat on them cause only dogs like bones.

You really want to have sex with someone that talks about people that way. "The only thing they are good for his throwing around" (although that is fun).
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member

This!

It's funny you mentioned this, I wonder why so much food has such a control over me, I have moments when I just wanna indulge and over eat and pig out on crap, sometimes I feel like I just can't keep on. However, we should eat to live not live to eat.

I've been there too and it is definitely possible to stop craving and binging on unhealthy things. It has been a long process for me but now I'm able to say no to pretty much everything, and most importantly, without any regret.
    If it's possible for me, than it is possible for everybody including you. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

that was me. i've had fat sex, and i've had fit sex. fit sex is better.
  • tfire77
    tfire77 Posts: 29 Member
    Still far from goal. But I can tell you what is worth it to me in my 20 lbs lost. Being able to bend over and buckle my snowboard (didn't snowboard for 5 yrs because I was to fat and out of shape.) , heck tie my shoes. Climb up stairs with out huffing and puffing. My biggest thing is lack of aches and pains, my back, hip, feet, calves, knees feel better after 20 lbs, When I lose 100 who knows what Ill be able to do.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Yes, I would not say I am skinny, but much healthier from where I started and therefore, very happy, very worth it! :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I wouldn't call myself "skinny", but I am at a healthy weight and I would say that I'm fit. I was overweight my whole life until I reached my goal a year ago, and I will tell you that it is indeed worth it. It's not so much the looks part. It's mostly the new hobbies I found, like cooking (you gotta learn how to cook tasty, healthy food!), spinning, running, dancing, generally doing active things that I used to avoid my whole life because I thought I was "too fat" or "too lazy". I feel good. I feel healthy. I couldn't say that when I was overweight.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Honestly, for me, at this point it's a toss-up. I've gone from 220ish to 155ish but it's taken 5 years. I realize I'm not old by any means but I wonder if my age has something to do with it. I never felt bad when I was 220 and 24 years old - no aches, pains, energy issues, or health issues. I just didn't like the way I looked and I was tired of having a husband who was thinner than me. Now that I'm 29 and 155 I don't feel great. I don't have more (or any) energy. My health isn't perfect. I seem to have more backaches than I ever used to and I have one knee and one ankle that give me serious problems. More importantly I don't feel like I look THAT much better. My boobs are sad, my stomach is iffy, and my face is more angular and seems almost more masculine than it used to. I'm also hungry most of the time and miss being able to be satisfied by what I'm eating/drinking. I realize I'm not a special snowflake (or whatever snarky phrase is being used at this time) but I've been at this long enough to know that I have to eat a relatively small amount of food in order to lose or maintain and it will likely always be that way. It sucks. There are some things I love that I will never be able to fit into my day no matter how much I exercise and it's frustrating. I don't feel normal. I'm banking on there being serious health benefits in the future because otherwise it really hasn't been worth it to me.

I feel the same way right now, but then again, Spring allergies always get me down, and when I'm depressed and boogery, nothing in the world is good.

But it's hard, and it hasn't done much for my life, and I still don't look in any way acceptable naked (I do look damn good in clothes, though). I am also not a super human health specimen. My knees gimped on me and I can't jog anymore (that was depressing for real) I still have asthma and I still wheeze, and even though being thinner helps my social anxiety a lot, it's still not enough to make me actually want to be around people. Hell, that might not even be anxiety, maybe I just don't like being around people.

Anyway, the people who brush it off as breezy easy, just get to goal weight and eat at maintenance, have perhaps never used up energy that could have been used elsewhere wrestling with hunger all day. It's not cheap in any way to be a healthy low weight. Along with energy, I find it far more expensive on my already very limited wallet.

So is it really worth it? Maybe. Jury still out. If I ever decide it's not worth it, I can always get fat again.

Seriously???????????? :huh: :noway:

I'm very serious. I was wondering the other day how many novels I could have written and sent off to publishers with all the energy I've spent working out and controlling my ravenous appetite.

Maybe that is what I should have been doing instead of losing weight.

Something to think about.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!