Need advice

2»

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Tough to say because we don't know how tall you are, etc. Figure out your TDEE.. If you are short like me, it might be so low that even at 1200 your deficit is minimal. Even if your deficit is 200 calories, that means in an ideal world you would only lose 1 pound in a little over 17 days. Now, if you cheat, that 17 days could be longer. Or your deficit might only be 100 calories - now it will take 35 days. That is why those last 5-10 pounds are killers. So, yes the answer would be to burn more calories. Also, if you figure your TDEE at a higher level based on your exercise, then your exercise calories shouldn't be added on top of that TDEE. Does that make sense? In other words, since I am very active due to my job and my exercise, I should have a higher TDEE. But, if that is the number I figure my deficit from, I can't then add 500 calories a day because of my workouts. That would be like counting them twice.

I love to walk, but I distinguish my walking from my cardio walking. I've read some reports that actually say that 10,000 steps is not a magic weight loss number. It is the number of steps to take to be fit, not to lose weight. Some sites say that to lose it needs to be 12,000 steps to lose. I'm not sure I believe that if those steps aren't getting your heart rate sped up a little for a sustained amount of time.

My Omron pedometer will distinguish cardio steps from normal steps (does fitbit?). Omron considers anything over 60 steps a minute cardio (to me that is still slow, but I can see how it could be fast for beginners -- goodness knows my speed has greatly improved over the past 3 months). The walking must be sustained for at least 10 minutes or it doesn't even register as aerobic. My walking goal is 10,000 steps a day of which 5,000 should be aerobic six days a week. I hit that way more often than I don't. I also ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes and do some very light weights. I've started a little water jogging occasionally, too.

Also, there is an optimum heart rate level for each person based on certain factors (mostly age). Believe it or not, the lower levels (yet above normal) are better for you apparently than an extreme level if you are trying to lose. There are heart rate charts, too. I try to keep mine below 112 and my average is probably 100.

I agree you might want to mix it up with exercise. However, you only have a few pounds left. Maybe you are closer to where you are supposed to be than you think. Will those few pounds make a difference?

Anyway, good luck! You've done great so far!
  • bevpulse
    bevpulse Posts: 54 Member
    Yea Bev, way to go! That is the frustration with the weight loss goblin it let's you think you're good work isn't paying off so you will give up but you held in & beat that goblin at his own game. WELL DONE I am so pleased for you.
    Thanks!
  • bevpulse
    I'm finally showing some loss on the scale after 6 weeeks of no loss! Yay! Dropped 2 lbs.

5l86.jpg
  • bevpulse
    I'm finally showing some loss on the scale after 6 weeeks of no loss! Yay! Dropped 2 lbs.

5l86.jpg
    Love the sign! Thanks!
  • bevpulse

FANTASTIC!!
    Thanks!
  • bevpulse
    Grandmotherch, Thanks. I will ponder the information you have passed on. You're more analytical than I am so you give me something to think about.
  • bevpulse
    I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know how much your suggestions and information encouraged and helped me. I've increased and varied my exercise. This morning after doing a one hour water aerobics class I went for a 2 mile walk on hilly roads in my neighborhood. I did finally drop 2.5 lbs. and my clothes are fitting looser on my hips and bum. I'm feeling good!:happy:
  • bevpulse
    Tough to say because we don't know how tall you are, etc. Figure out your TDEE.. If you are short like me, it might be so low that even at 1200 your deficit is minimal. Even if your deficit is 200 calories, that means in an ideal world you would only lose 1 pound in a little over 17 days. Now, if you cheat, that 17 days could be longer. Or your deficit might only be 100 calories - now it will take 35 days. That is why those last 5-10 pounds are killers. So, yes the answer would be to burn more calories. Also, if you figure your TDEE at a higher level based on your exercise, then your exercise calories shouldn't be added on top of that TDEE. Does that make sense? In other words, since I am very active due to my job and my exercise, I should have a higher TDEE. But, if that is the number I figure my deficit from, I can't then add 500 calories a day because of my workouts. That would be like counting them twice.

I love to walk, but I distinguish my walking from my cardio walking. I've read some reports that actually say that 10,000 steps is not a magic weight loss number. It is the number of steps to take to be fit, not to lose weight. Some sites say that to lose it needs to be 12,000 steps to lose. I'm not sure I believe that if those steps aren't getting your heart rate sped up a little for a sustained amount of time.

My Omron pedometer will distinguish cardio steps from normal steps (does fitbit?). Omron considers anything over 60 steps a minute cardio (to me that is still slow, but I can see how it could be fast for beginners -- goodness knows my speed has greatly improved over the past 3 months). The walking must be sustained for at least 10 minutes or it doesn't even register as aerobic. My walking goal is 10,000 steps a day of which 5,000 should be aerobic six days a week. I hit that way more often than I don't. I also ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes and do some very light weights. I've started a little water jogging occasionally, too.

Also, there is an optimum heart rate level for each person based on certain factors (mostly age). Believe it or not, the lower levels (yet above normal) are better for you apparently than an extreme level if you are trying to lose. There are heart rate charts, too. I try to keep mine below 112 and my average is probably 100.

I agree you might want to mix it up with exercise. However, you only have a few pounds left. Maybe you are closer to where you are supposed to be than you think. Will those few pounds make a difference?

Anyway, good luck! You've done great so far!
  • bevpulse
    To Grandmothercharlie: Sorry, I haven't learned how to post replies in the right place. Anyway, I hadn't paid any attention to TDEE before you brought it up and didn't even know what it was. I have been investigating and trying to understand it and how runtastic and fitbit and MFP work together. I think I get it now. At the same time that I've stepped up my activity I've also increased my calories. It seems to be working for me. Thanks for your help.
  • CONGRATULATIONS
  • bevpulse
    Thanks!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 632 Member
    Great news! :smile:

Well done! :flowerforyou:

Jean
  • bevpulse
    Thanks, Jean!