So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Replies

• glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    then- BMI 32 = sleep disorder, bad snoring, constant tiredness, no fitness, bad indigestions, regularly feeling low

now - BMI 25 = no sleep problems, no snoring , able to run 10k, just cycled over 60 miles, no indigestion problems, much happier

it is so worth it.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    I don't know about being skinny, but being a fit, healthy weight is certainly worth it. I got a weight-related health scare 6 months ago, which fortunately turned out to be a false alarm, but it made me look my mortality in the face and begin a weight loss program.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Maybe all the name calling should stop - is calling other women "skeletons" kind?
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    I am definitely happier. Is life perfect - no. I still get sad about any problems I might have. But I never feel less happy because of how I eat now. I've learned how to make meals that taste good and keep me within my calorie goals, so it's not like I"m walking around wishing I could eat this or that or feeling deprived. And one day a week is splurge day and I eat what I want. That's what works for me.

If I hadn't lost the weight though, I'd still be in an unhappy relationship, I wouldn't have met the great guy who's in my life now, I wouldn't have had the confidence to change my life. I can go on amusement park rides now. I can hop over puddles instead of having to walk around them. I can walk around the park/mall/wherever for hours and not get tired and out of breath. I could go on and on - there are so many ways my life is better now.

But I want to stress that it's not an either/or thing. It's not "either I can enjoy food or be fit". You can do both - I do :)
  • tmgmcg
    tmgmcg Posts: 6 Member
    It is worth it. I have struggled with weight my whole life. There were times where I gave in and said, I'm just going to be happy with myself and quit worrying about it. I wasn't happy. About 4 years ago I lost 70 lbs. I felt better than ever. I was healthy, felt so confident and I did not miss what I wasn't eating. I totally enjoyed working out. I got off track when my mom was diagnosed with a terminal illness, stopped working out and slowly put 20 lbs back on. Not happy with that, so, it's coming back off. I just finally made the first bit of progress and it feels good. It is so worth it.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Loni Love called me a skinny ***** at the improve the other night :bigsmile:

It was worth it :drinker:
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    I used to think that way on weight watchers because I was always hungry. But when I signed up here I felt like I was allowed alot of food. And if there is something I want -like to enjoy a piece of bday cake or a Chinese buffet" I will save some calories for it during the week. Maybe trim 50 off one day 60 off another day and give myself a bigger calorie goal on the day I wanted "enjoy life" with food. And I need feel deprived
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    I'm far from skinny and doubt I really want to be classified as "skinny" BUT.... as far as where I am now, it's totally worth it! Would never want to be as unhealthy and overweight as I was.

Food is good, but not good enough to stay miserable in my own skin.

21525558.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I feel so much better now than I did a couple of years ago--so yes, taking the weight off is worth it. I still am able to eat a piece of cake or a few cookies--so I am good. NOT skinny yet. Just want to be at a healthy weight and fitness level.

Really your friend sounds like a food addict. If you replace the word food with cigarettes, then
    it is the same kind of addictive mentality. And some people are happier with indulging their habit. Sorry to hear that your friend has chosen
    "fat".
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    I don't feel particularly great after having lost a lot of weight (I still have some left to lose). Whatever problems existed prior are still there, but I do know that I never, ever want to be that weight again (unless its all muscle). The other day, I was looking through some old pictures and it was disgusting how fat I was back then. That part makes me feel good.

I'm not exhausted walking up stairs, I can run a mile without being winded where previously it destroyed me. Diabetes runs in my family, so I have a pretty good chance of avoiding that now.

There are lots of good reasons to be fit but a low number on the scale will not heal an already wounded self-esteem.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    There is a lot more to enjoy in life than food.

Aside from sex, not really.

this
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    to me, it's not about "being skinny", it's about having a healthy and active lifestyle. I revamped my entire way of life. I used to reward myself with unhealthy food, and lots of it. while it tastes good, it also made me feel like a bag of ****. I couldn't get off the couch because I had ZERO energy, I didn't ever want to go out, and I stopped caring about how I looked because I felt bad emotionally and physically.

now adays, I take care of myself in all regards as best I can. I still eat what I want, but I have learned
    1) portion control and 2) not to reward myself with food.

If I want a burger, I'm gunna have a burger. If I want cake, I'm gunna have the cake. however, I have learned to budget into my day and I eat a BALANCED diet. I eat healthy as often as possible, but there are no foods that I am "not allowed" to eat. when I want or crave something, I have it.

also, I feel that my life has drastically IMPROVED since I've begun to eat healthy, exercise, and take care of myself. I am not missing out on anything, because I allow myself to indulge when I want to.

It drives me crazy when people see me eating fast food, or something unhealthy and say "oh I wish I could eat like that and stay thin like you do!".

that's just my 2 cents.
  • I truly believe it is up to the individual what aspects of him/herself make them happy. I got fat when I returned to college full time & worked 40 hours a week. I felt much healthier back then (pre-fat) but I am happier now (even with wanting to lose a significant amount of weight). I think assessing what is really important to you is the only way to determine if losing weight, and then keeping it off, is going to make all your dreams come true (or at the very least help you feel happy while you complete your goals).

One thing you may want to consider is if your goal weight is realistic for your body type, lifestyle, etc, etc. You may want to consider upping the goal to account for some things (like muscles & a tone body! :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    If you really mean SKINNY, then NO. It's unhealthy and horrible. I have a friend who is about 5 feet 5 and weighs at most 100 lbs. She has no strength, no resistance, gets sick all the time, has no stamina, and looks like a bundle of sticks. She hates it, but can't gain weight no matter what she eats. Doesn't help that she smokes like a chimney, too. We were co-workers, and I could work rings around this girl. She couldn't wrestle a thirty pound package into her mail car.

Ok... I get that some people aren't into the term of "skinny" or what that means. Completely understandable, especially if you do a lot of strength training and are very into fitness.

What I don't get is "thin-shaming". Your friend may not be healthy (which is unfortunate), but that doesn't excuse you saying that she "looks like a bundle of sticks". You even said she can't gain wait and does try to do so. Why insult her body? Would you want her insulting yours?

*edited for typos
    [/quote

I wouldn't say it to her face, I didn't name her, and she will never see this post, so what difference does it make? This is NOT "shaming", it's a fair and accurate description, especially of the health issues of being so thin. She HERSELF says she looks like a bundle of sticks. Lighten up, chill out .]
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Trust me when I say no one wants to be skinny. Skinny is unattractive. If anything, the main goal is to be healthy. You want to be healthy overall, regardless of how much you weigh, as long as you have a normal BMI and normal body fat percentage. Skinny is not only unattractive, it is very unhealthy. So, my answer is no. Being skinny is not worth it.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Trust me when I say no one wants to be skinny. Skinny is unattractive. If anything, the main goal is to be healthy. You want to be healthy overall, regardless of how much you weigh, as long as you have a normal BMI and normal body fat percentage. Skinny is not only unattractive, it is very unhealthy. So, my answer is no. Being skinny is not worth it.

So... VS models are unattractive?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member

Don't be silly please. Many "skinny" people (what ever that means), have normal BMI and low body fat. Skinny (again, what ever that means), doesn't equal abnormal or unattractive or unhealthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

Don't be silly please. Many "skinny" people (what ever that means), have normal BMI and low body fat. Skinny (again, what ever that means), doesn't equal abnormal or unattractive or unhealthy.

Yep and strong.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    The last 2 posts are perfect.:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!