Getting My partner to exersice

Both My partner and I bot are dieting and I have tried to get him to atleast walk each day with me. Each time I get ready to go for a walk I ask him if he wants to go and he just looks at me. I just say that is ok you do not have to go if you do not want to. I really do not know what to do to get him up off the couch and away from the television. Any suggestions?:explode:

Replies

• Both My partner and I bot are dieting and I have tried to get him to atleast walk each day with me. Each time I get ready to go for a walk I ask him if he wants to go and he just looks at me. I just say that is ok you do not have to go if you do not want to. I really do not know what to do to get him up off the couch and away from the television. Any suggestions?:explode:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    When he sees you looking sexy for losing weight and all the other guys are checking you out, maybe then he will get to walking.
    It's hard. Don't let it stop you. Do what you have to do. Maybe after a while he will join you.
    You can always give him a choice-no walk-no:blushing:
  • That is a way of looking at it. get off your duff or no lovin tonight.:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I know it can be frustrating, especially if you feel like you're on your own. But to make this a fun accomplishment rather than a tug of war, remember that everyone needs to take something like this at their own pace. My partner's lifestyle greatly contrasts my own...I want to compete on physique competitions, so I work out a ton. He doesn't want to. At first I tried to talk him into joining me, but it didn't take long to realize that we have our own hobbies and wanted to get in shape in different ways. He did stop eating fast food and soda and that helped, and sometimes we go on walks together. You know that old say, "You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"? That is really applicable here!
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Keep at it. In time he will see you doing it and just want to keep up with you. My husband and I keep eachother going and often work-out together. He was the one that motivated me so I understand how it feels. Eventually you just don't want to sit on the couch and watch tv alone:smile:
  • One can only be motivated by oneself.

But positive encouragement can certainly help one change, Good Luck.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    I used to be that partner that didn't want to exercise. I can't really explain why, but I just went through a phase and wasn't into working out. My boyfriend is an exercise nut, always out doing something. You could tell how disappointed he was when I didn't want to go for a long hike, etc. The more he pushed the more I resisted. I am a very independent person and I just think I needed to do it on my own time. It was very hard for my boyfriend to see and deal with, but I did eventually hit a wall and decide it was time. I would recommend showing constant gentle support. He will come around eventually, and probably sooner once he sees your results. Whatever you do, don't give up!
  • Not going to give up here, Started healthier eating Jan1, 2008 and I have lost 3# so far only 20 more to go....:happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    You have to do it for you and as you start to get healthier he will start to join in, it just takes a little longer for others, and if he doesn't is it going to change the way you feel about him in the end? My husband works long hours and had to find something he likes to do, which turned out to be skateboarding, so he goes to the skate park and I go for a walk and then watch him skate which is a nice bit of eye candy at the end of a long walk!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Not going to give up here, Started healthier eating Jan1, 2008 and I have lost 3# so far only 20 more to go....:happy:

Way to go. Keep up the great work. He will come around in time:happy: