merry go round

I feel like I am on a merry go round. How do I get off?
I am sort of discouraged. I came on this site and lost 16 lbs then gained it all back. Ideally, I would like to lose a total of 20 to 40 lbs.
Thought I was doing good today but
someone gave me a large chocolate bar as a
"thanks". I was feeling a little upset about something that happened earlier and I thought well a little wont hurt. I didnt stop at a little.
Just tired of feeling like a traitor to myself. I make goals and have plans about eating and am feeling really good then temptation comes along. I want to get off this merry go round.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Is this a change for like or just a diet for you?
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    You mean a change for life ? I intend it that way.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    You mean a change for life ? I intend it that way.

Change your mind set then... You are still thinking "diet". Think long term as in years or decades. Can you sustain it? If not it is a merry go round diet.
  • I too have a weakness for chocolate; it's actually a joke with my family . . .I have written sugar off for 1 month. Although I do crave chocolate, I only allow one cheat day a week to eat anything I want. The rest of the days I find an alternative snack that I will be just as satisfied with. That really pulls me through not to have that break down.
  • lilhope72
    lilhope72 Posts: 24 Member
    I also allow myself a break once a week. I've lost over 100 lbs and I knew there was no way I could do it if I tried to do the impossible (deny myself everything I craved all the time). So when I start craving something during the week, it makes it so much easier to tell myself "not until Saturday" rather than tell myself "no, you cant ever have it". On the occasion that I do mess up, I just pick myself up and start again.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I highly recommend the book "the willpower instinct"
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Thanks all for your support and suggestions!