Hi

Okay, so thisis the year. I don't have any excuses now. I am still nursing a baby, but want to get started. Good luck everybody! (Any thoughts on how to train for a 1/2 marathon with tons of snow on the ground?)

Replies

• missinator
    missinator Posts: 10 Member
    Okay, so thisis the year. I don't have any excuses now. I am still nursing a baby, but want to get started. Good luck everybody! (Any thoughts on how to train for a 1/2 marathon with tons of snow on the ground?)
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Greetings and welcome to this site...hope you find it most helpful.

How about dancing til spring!

I ran in a fun run race a few years back...a woman with a jogging stroller loaded with 2 toddlers beat me!

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • WOW...I'm not one to run unless someone is chasing me...LOL...WITH a weapon!! :laugh:
    Good luck hun!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Welcome. I'm like Toni - and have said "I don't run unless chased" since high school (when I was 125, sigh).

I'm trying it now though. Nothing makes you giggle like a jog. I'm working up to 1 mile jog. Yep, really hate to run. I can walk 10 miles, do the elliptical for over an hour, kickboxing, you name it - have a really hard time running/jogging.

Jumping rope, running in place, and even running in the snow should be a really good workout.

Best of luck.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437

I trained for the 1/2 a couple years ago for a Spring marathon, because I had been running for a few years, I splurged and bought myself a used treadmill! As soon as the gound was ice free I was outside as often as I could in the cold, but without the treadmill I could not have trained as much as I needed too. The gym is good too, but I didn't have a membership. You know what....I use my treadmill now as one of my major exersice tools, it was never a wasted buy. I also see a man running on the small side roads (dangerous) against traffic all the time where I live, because usually the roads are cleared.

Oh and remember, pls find out about the extra calories you need when breast feeding, it seems to be an ongoing concern on the site and we want you and baby to be healthy!

Anne
  • missinator
    Thanks for the ideas for running, I am working on getting a treadmill but funds are really tight. DON'T Worry, me and baby are good. One of the main reasons I am working out more is so I can eat those extra calories and I don't get into the mindset of eating too few. I am not trying to lose a bundle right now, just get into healthy habits so when I do stop nursing my body can bounce back easier. :smile:
  • missinator
    i didn't say I run fast, I don't think I could even if someone was chasing me with a weapon LOL.

hope things are good. Have a good week.
    :happy:
  • Hi, when it comes to running - heavy set folks is the only thing that runs in my family. Joke. I don't have any suggestions for running in the snow, but it does make it that much more difficult which is great for pushing yourself. I love to run, track was a great sport to participate in, and I still love the sound my feet make when I run on it, which isn't as often as I'd like. But that is why I swim in the winter more often. Perhaps you can do this as well.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    No better time than the present. Good luck to you!!!!:flowerforyou: