Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    sorry if I'm being rude but I am so tired of the whole 1200 calorie argument. eat what you think is right for your body. if 1200 is too low., raise it 100-200 more calories. there must be 30 threads a week on the 1200 calorie question. but to answer your question, yes, I did! I'm 59 years old and 5'2 so 1200 works just fine for me. best of luck to you
  • marciebrian
    never mind... just so tired of the ridiculous starvation mode discussion... really gets old and tiring
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    sorry if I'm being rude but I am so tired of the whole 1200 calorie argument. eat what you think is right for your body. if 1200 is too low., raise it 100-200 more calories. there must be 30 threads a week on the 1200 calorie question. but to answer your question, yes, I did! I'm 59 years old and 5'2 so 1200 works just fine for me. best of luck to you

And that's great. At your age and size, 1200 is fine.

The debate comes up when you have 18yr old women, or young men that have BMRs between 1800-2200 that are saying "I'm doing 1200 calories, it works, but I'm so tired". Forget the "starvation mode" myth....or whatever...1200 calories is too little for people who get too aggressive with their weight loss goals and in turn sacrifice nutrition, and (especially for males) muscle mass.

Look at the first post, it's a 34 yr old male, 1200 is far to little for a male to be eating unless they're 3ft tall.
  • marciebrian

The debate comes up when you have 18yr old women, or young men that have BMRs between 1800-2200 that are saying "I'm doing 1200 calories, it works, but I'm so tired". Forget the "starvation mode" myth....or whatever...1200 calories is too little for people who get too aggressive with their weight loss goals and in turn sacrifice nutrition, and (especially for males) muscle mass.

Look at the first post, it's a 34 yr old male, 1200 is far to little for a male to be eating unless they're 3ft tall.

of course it is too little for a 34 year old male. every body/person is different. MFP is not an individual's nutritionist/physician guide it is a generic weight loss/fitness site. sometimes we have to use a little common sense and not rely on a website/application to determine what works for us
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    I've lost around 20 pounds so far, keeping up with a 1200 calorie diet (I've cheated a few days, but I digress). I think the most important factor in this is staying true to the percentage values of Carbs, Fat, Protein for the day - whenever I'd eat more of one then I was supposed to, I normally saw a shift in the scale. I started on 1200 in mid January, and then started exercising along with the calorie intake when I hit a plateau in May. I've been steadily losing every week since. Maintaining has been relatively easy.

If you get very tired or hungry, I'd suggest upping your count!
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    i lost all my weight with 1200 cals ( 30 pounds). I had to figure my body out. At one point I tried to eat back my calories back after working out, and I gained weight. So I ketp wroking out, and just kept to my 1200 cal diet-not eating my work out burn back.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    I've lost 17 pounds on a 1600 calorie diet..... id probably hate my life on 1200.
  • I have lost about 70 lbs. in 12 months, as I lost, the calorie limit dropped till it hit 1200 calories and has stayed there. I also eat low carb, but only every other day. The high/low carb keeps my body guessing & helps me to continue to lose weight. I do ride my bike 30 minutes 6 days a week, walk my dog 60 minutes 6 days a week & strength train 2-3 days a week, but unfortunatly I have noticed that the more I lose, the slower it drops. I need ideas to power through the dreaded plateaus I am just now hitting.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I have lost about 70 lbs. in 12 months, as I lost, the calorie limit dropped till it hit 1200 calories and has stayed there. I also eat low carb, but only every other day. The high/low carb keeps my body guessing & helps me to continue to lose weight. I do ride my bike 30 minutes 6 days a week, walk my dog 60 minutes 6 days a week & strength train 2-3 days a week, but unfortunatly I have noticed that the more I lose, the slower it drops. I need ideas to power through the dreaded plateaus I am just now hitting.

You eat in total about 1200 calories while doing all that exercise?

Wow, that is perfect example of the body forcing slower weight loss on you because of your choices, rather than purposely making wise decisions to lose slowly and make it sustainable to goal weight.
    Hope you don't have far to go, because that will make for an interesting maintenance level requiring that or more exercise to keep losing.

Think this is starting to happen?
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage
  • Thanks for the response, I'll check it out. I do have to say that at 60 yrs. old, I have more energy now than I have had for years.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

of course it is too little for a 34 year old male. every body/person is different. MFP is not an individual's nutritionist/physician guide it is a generic weight loss/fitness site. sometimes we have to use a little common sense and not rely on a website/application to determine what works for us

So then you understand the argument and see why many of us tire of explaining why such a calorie restriction isn't for everyone, when really for many on this site it is an extreme and no sustainable?
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    About to get crucified here, but I'm a guy doing 1200 calories.

>your body can't function on that
    >you can't sustain that

I started on Christmas day at 321 and about 44% bodyfat, I'm down 70 lbs down in 4 months, feel great, plenty of energy, walked/jogged 5 miles yesterday. Obviously I can't do 1200 forever, so probably another month of this then I'm going to start upping the calories a little.
  • so_sassy11
    so_sassy11 Posts: 5 Member
    Well this was my first week doing 1,200 calories, +/- some. I'm using my FitBit to see how many calories I'm burning daily. Before this I was doing 1,500 a day and most of the cals I got from my Fitbit adjustment and for a solid 3 weeks I lost next to nothing. Now when changed to this amount the weight is FLYING off!

I find that intermittent fasting is super helpful. On weekdays I do 10PM - 3PM. Like everything else it's not going to work for everyone. But I really like the fact that I can have a few snacks, a large dinner and desert without having to worry about going over b/c I 'saved' them during the day.

My best advice for you is to listen to your body. If your cranky, exhausted, whatever, then bump it up to 1,300 and see how you do. I agree with the poster above; you have to figure out what works for your body because everyone's different. It might take awhile until you find your 'sweet spot' but Rome wasn't built in a day!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • I have been on MFP for just over 30 days now on a 1200 calories plan. I also use the fitbit one that syncs with MFP. i do not eat my calories back from exercise. I have lost 13 lbs so far. 47 lbs to go! I feel great,I am in a better mood and am sleeping better. I have cut out all soda. I have a desk job so during the day I do not get as much exercise as I would like but I make sure I get at least my 10,000 steps in a day. On the days I can't get outside to walk I exercise at home.Sometimes I feel hungry but usually only if I don't keep right on track with the times that I eat. Although,it does seem that I am eating constantly now. Good luck!
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks for the response, I'll check it out. I do have to say that at 60 yrs. old, I have more energy now than I have had for years.

You look fabulous :) I know people in my age group (mid 40s) who look older than you!

On topic:
    As others have mentioned, calories:exercise is intensely personalized and depends on you-your genetics, your environment, your behaviors, how your body responds. That said, there is value in learning from others and I'd rather others learn more quickly than I did, soooo:

SW 228 GW 128

I've yo-yoed a couple times. Previously I've used the Tap and Track app. only switched to MFP this month, as the food logging is much easier and uses bar code tech. Also, I am enjoying the community...anyway, I learned during my last two bouts of weight loss that 1200 works well for me, when I need to lose 60 lbs +. Once I got within 30-40 lbs of my goal weight I plateaued. Without the exercising, the weight loss started fast, 3-4 lbs per week, then slowed over time to a few ounces a week the closer to the 50 lbs loss mark I got.

What I learned was I needed to add a couple hundred calories a day at that point, or add one cheat day or meal (depending upon how I felt) a week, and exercise, 3-5 days a week of cardio/strength mix.

This time I am taking what I learned, and doing the following: I did approx. 1000 cals per day for the first 6 weeks with no exercising to jump start the weight loss. After losing about 25 lbs, I began to plateau. I increased to1200 cals per day, and added one hour of exercise 3-5 days per week, and as my endurance increased I am now at one hour of cardio/strength a day. I have about 75 lbs to lose at this point. (Please remember to take into account I had 100 lbs to lose. That is why I felt safe drastically cutting my caloric intake in the beginning for a short period of time.)

I expect, once I lose another 20-25 lbs, I will have to increase my caloric intake again to closer to my maintenance diet in order to keep losing. I will also have to make certain I switch up my exercise routine every ten days or so, to keep challenging different muscle groups, and make certain I am exercising at the correct intensity. But I will wait until the next plateau to make that decision.
  • lilhope72
    lilhope72 Posts: 24 Member
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for 1 yr. I've lost 107 lbs. I still have 49 to go. It just depends on how many calories you burn a day and how fast you want to lose the weight. If you are a very active person, you could eat more calories and still lose.
  • OPile
    OPile Posts: 104 Member
    I've been on 1200 then 1300 for three months. I've lost 27 pounds. I eat back half my exercise calories. If the loss plateaus it is always because I've eaten badly for a few days or I've not drunk enough water and have been storing water weight. If my weight goes up at all I remind myself to be stricter on the calories and drink lots of water and it starts dropping off again.
  • Kalala1
    Kalala1 Posts: 1 Member
    Works for me. I sometimes eat me exercise points back;)
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    I lost my first 5 lbs on 1200 calories. I was always hungry. I've moved my calories up and am losing at a slower pace but a manageable pace for me.
  • ukapa
    ukapa Posts: 2
    I eat 1200 calorie a day but 45 day just lost 12 lbs. since last week I don't see any signification change