Dating Advice - Please....

cm2owl
cm2owl Posts: 38 Member
General question for everyone:

I was married for about 20 years, have now been single for five and am thinking that I might what to try dating again.

Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

The thought of dating is kind of freaking me out.

Replies

• amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Don't think of it as "dating' it could just be dinner or drinks. I think labeling it "dating' makes people nervous. I do the same thing when I prepare for an interview, I keep telling myself its just a conversation. Good Luck!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Definitely dont put too mjch pressure on yourself (meaning don't over think it)...ive found more casual things are better for me, like trivia at a bar or something where you get to talk but there are distractions so there isnt time to over think any of it. Good luck!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Good luck!

Things have changed a lot since you once dated before, so keep an open mind. As you get going you will find yourself coming up with a set of rules - what's ok, what's not, what you want, what you don't want, etc. This will change as you go.

It can be a frustrating process, especially if you use online dating, so try to go with the flow and just enjoy it for what it is (I guess unless it is horribly bad hehe).

I like to think of the first ones as meet and greats, I don't date people I don't know....

I could go on forever. I started dating after I got out of a 9 year relationship, was a frustrating, but rewarding experience. I learned a lot about myself. I also met my fiancé :) we just got engaged on April 1.
  • Ambrosia29
    Ambrosia29 Posts: 40 Member
    I know I'm younger than some of those who have posted here and have never been married. But I've found that the dating "scene" has changed in the past several years, even for me. When you're ready, check out dating sites, stick to your guns! and keep an open mind. Try going to places where you can be social, like interest clubs or the gym, where its a little easier to meet total strangers. I've also picked up a book geared toward women, called "The Tao of Dating" and I'm finding it helpful so far. Good luck & many blessings!