No friends/support system

2»

Replies

• kir180
    kir180 Posts: 4
    Hi .. I am from Australia but moved to London over 10 years ago. My very close friends are all in Australia and while I have some close friends here I can identify with you all. I have gained an enormous amount of weight and some of it is due to loneliness. Anyway I am going to add you all as it is always nice to make new friends!
  • I find the best support for my weight loss are my MFP friends...everyone on here, friend or not seem to be very supportive, informative, and willing to offer advice or suggestions. My family are also supportive and encouraging, but they don't all understand the commitment it takes to do this on a day to day basis. Most of my co-workers seem to think it's funny that I'm trying to be healthier. Sorry, this may not answer your concerns, but like most people on here, I'd be happy to add you as a friend and try to provide support and encouragement to the best of my ability. Meantime...keep the faith :)
  • Seriously, I don't get how You can say that You have no support system when most of you have children or a partner, some people in this world are actually alone, at least You have someone that supports You in GENERAL and talks to You about Your day, etc
  • buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    I am a newlywed with two toddlers and even though my husband supports any thing I do he does not have an issue with my weight. He loves plus size women. I'm not making my family change their eating habits I am only changing mines. Its hard being alone in the process. I have friends and co-workers but they do not understand why I am trying to lose weight. So when i announce that I am on a diet or working out they usually say 'How long will this one last" and they are right it usually don't last long. So this time I am trying something different. I am not telling them. I am not telling my family or friends. I am not going to deal with the pressure of losing weight. When my co workers order lunch or go out to lunch I politely pass and stick with my salad or veggies. Its kinda nice not having all of attention on my of how I am looking or what I am doing. Right now I am only on my first week but so far going good.
  • fyouapp
    fyouapp Posts: 2
    I know how you feel. When I lived in Korea, I lost a lot of weight (I hate seafood so my options were pretty limited) but I moved to NC two years ago and I don't know many people here. I have my boyfriend around but he eats like a pregnant woman (ice cream, BBQ chips, etc)... always munching on something and some how, he is still fit/in shape for the Marine Corps! I have tried to do things his way but never again! He turns into a Drill Sergeant. But one thing I do is what was listed above; write my thoughts down in a journal. I also have a page in my school binder where I keep track of my daily weight loss and the percentages I would lose a week if every day were like today (E.G. 1.75 pounds a week or 2.54 pounds a week). I want to lose between two and three pounds a week so checking myself on a daily basis ensures that by the end of the week, I will lose those two to three pounds.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Interesting, my buddies at work are my biggest challenges. I really enjoy working with them and when lunch time rolls around and they are heading off for a very fast lunch I really hate hanging behind to eat at my desk. (we are teachers and have 40 minutes to drive somewhere, order, eat, and get back i.e. faster than fast food) So friends are a double edged sword.

Have you tried asking them to help? Hey why don't you pick a snack for Tuesday and you for Wednesday? How about we each plan a day of meals?
  • Alycem86
    Alycem86 Posts: 6
    I'm sorry all of your friends are back in Oklahoma :( Could they visit you in North Carolina? Could you go visit them? Maybe that could be your gift to yourself after you lose x amount of pounds?! :)

I think it says something about YOU that your husband and mother are looking to you for nutritional support and advice! They trust you be educated enough to give them sound advice. I know it must be really hard to always be the "go to" person (I'm that person in my family for everything technological...and other things! haha), but it does say that they love and trust your opinion. Hopefully they start to remember / learn about healthy eating; and the questions will subside! :)
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Well now you have all of us :) I just moved to NC in January. My hubby is supportive, he says he loves me and thinks I am gorgeous now but that he is on board with a healthier happier me. Sendind a friend request your way.
  • Nerdybookworm1990
    Nerdybookworm1990 Posts: 35 Member
    It can be really hard to change your habits while those around you continue with the old. Feel free to add me and I will try to help you!
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    I live in Korea... all my friends and family are in the States.. I understand how you feel... while my wife is Korean.. she is like a walking stick person.... can eat and avil and some how weigh less the next day....

The only support I have are the friends I have on MFP... and I find motivation on this board... seeing others like yourself who lose so much....

Where in N. Carolina are you... I was raised in Lumberton, N.C.

-ms

I live around Gastonia! :) I have already gotten a TON of friends, so I should have lotsa people cheering me on! It's AWESOME!!! THANKS!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    I find my motivation here on MFP. Love having friends with open diaries that are active on the site daily to help support each other. I am a single Mom of 3 kids my youngest being 14 months. Anyone feel free to add me :)
  • melissaedgerlyrustin
    melissaedgerlyrustin Posts: 10 Member
    Same thing here, all of my family and friends are an 8 hour plane ride away. My husband doesn't need to diet he is always thin no matter what he eats (he is actually sitting beside me eating icecream right now) He isn't much of a support system. I have his family all around me and they are all thin. I do have his/my niece, she exercises with me :) but I could use
    some support. as well. You can add me as a friend too.
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    Interesting, my buddies at work are my biggest challenges. I really enjoy working with them and when lunch time rolls around and they are heading off for a very fast lunch I really hate hanging behind to eat at my desk. (we are teachers and have 40 minutes to drive somewhere, order, eat, and get back i.e. faster than fast food) So friends are a double edged sword.

Have you tried asking them to help? Hey why don't you pick a snack for Tuesday and you for Wednesday? How about we each plan a day of meals?

Those are some good idea's! Thanks! I will try that :)
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    I hear ya. Im in cali just me my wife and daughter. None of me or my wifes family are here in California. Feel free to add us if you want
  • KRM51
    KRM51 Posts: 24
    Hi. I too am alone in this and have kept failing several times. I really need so much support and motivation. I emotional eat, and have ruined my metabolism and stamina by either eating too much or crash diets. I want to give all my efforts into working out a healthier lifestyle for me, to build my stamina, to be strong enough to make better food choices at all times. I started 20 days back, worked well for 5 days and lost my way for 10. Again started and binged on the 5th and the 6th day (Today being the 6th). Then got some sarcastic comment from someone even as I was trying to get out of the depressed state. Finally burst out crying as soon as I could be alone.

I really really need some strong friends and strong support. I want to run. I want to look fab. I want to feel great.

Help, anyone? :(
  • I'm new to this site (was on here a while ago, but just recently got back on) and feel super alone!

My best friend's friend from home suffered from an eating disorder for a long time, so now she just thinks something bad is going to happen to me, when really I'm just trying to take care of myself and become a healthier person! The rest of my friends and family don't really support me and enjoy eating unhealthy foods in large portions-in front of me!! My roommate and a lot of my family members are naturally thin, so it can be hard sometimes being around them and feeling like I have no support system.

I could really use some friends on here, please add me!