[365-day streak] My Most Effective Recipe

Options

Replies

• Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! i am going to make a vegetarian dish out of it. veggie stock with soy chorizo..
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    right off I would delete the salt.. theres enough sodium in the other ingredients
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummmmmmmm!
  • mandaror
    mandaror Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bump! I didn't think that rice would freeze/thaw well. This is great! I love doing big batch meals to help me manage time. I will add smoky habanero salt and do zucchini and carrots instead of or in addition to the corn.

ETA: also taking someone's suggestion of black beans. Maybe double the recipe but half rice half black beans?
  • superchick49
    superchick49 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sounds delish:)
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hi pals! I just passed the 365-day mark for logging every bit of food and exercise, and it's been a successful year.

I want to share the recipe I've come up with that is my favorite for three reasons: (1) it actually tastes good, (2) it's efficient for the amount of calories in a serving, and (3) it keeps me full for longer than any other meal of equal calories. And it's practical: it's easy to make a huge batch, and it freezes well and reheats well. I've made it public in the recipe database. Hopefully someone else out there might find this useful in their calorie-counting battle :)

Ryan's Mexican Rice & Beef

1 cup Brown Rice (dry)
    1 cup Beef Broth
    1 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
    1 tsp Olive Oil
    1/2 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1/2 can Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 can Tomato Sauce
    1 can Corn
    2 cups Salsa
    1 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika

In a large pot, bring simmer rice in 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup water for 45 minutes.
    While rice is cooking, brown beef in a large pan, then remove beef and set aside. In the same pan, heat olive oil and sautée onions for 8 minutes; add garlic, and cook 2 more minutes. Combine with beef and set aside.
    When rice is finished, add the beef, onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes.

Makes about 8 cups, each about 225 calories. Freezes and reheats well. Tastes great with melted cheddar cheese on top.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi pals! I just passed the 365-day mark for logging every bit of food and exercise, and it's been a successful year.

I want to share the recipe I've come up with that is my favorite for three reasons: (1) it actually tastes good, (2) it's efficient for the amount of calories in a serving, and (3) it keeps me full for longer than any other meal of equal calories. And it's practical: it's easy to make a huge batch, and it freezes well and reheats well. I've made it public in the recipe database. Hopefully someone else out there might find this useful in their calorie-counting battle :)

Ryan's Mexican Rice & Beef

1 cup Brown Rice (dry)
    1 cup Beef Broth
    1 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
    1 tsp Olive Oil
    1/2 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1/2 can Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 can Tomato Sauce
    1 can Corn
    2 cups Salsa
    1 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika

In a large pot, bring simmer rice in 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup water for 45 minutes.
    While rice is cooking, brown beef in a large pan, then remove beef and set aside. In the same pan, heat olive oil and sautée onions for 8 minutes; add garlic, and cook 2 more minutes. Combine with beef and set aside.
    When rice is finished, add the beef, onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes.

Makes about 8 cups, each about 225 calories. Freezes and reheats well. Tastes great with melted cheddar cheese on top.

This would be ridiculous in a bell pepper. Congrats on your streak, and thanks for sharing!
  • heatherv4
    heatherv4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    adding this to try one day soon.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight - wish I would have read the whole thread, as I see a couple people suggested more liquid with the rice - mine too came out a bit chewy. Also wish I would have added a can of black beans as others suggested.

Overall very good though - will definitely make it again. Very filling for the # of calories.

I tried it as is, and also as sort of a taco filling inside some soft corn tortillas with a little cheddar cheese sprinkled on it.
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight - wish I would have read the whole thread, as I see a couple people suggested more liquid with the rice - mine too came out a bit chewy. Also wish I would have added a can of black beans as others suggested.

Overall very good though - will definitely make it again. Very filling for the # of calories.

I tried it as is, and also as sort of a taco filling inside some soft corn tortillas with a little cheddar cheese sprinkled on it.

I agree - about another 1/2 cup of water or broth would do it, right? I'd edit that into the original post if I could!
  • fancykels
    fancykels Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump - Thanks for sharing!
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Sounds delicious
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Redw1ng93
    Redw1ng93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Nellpop
    Nellpop Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks, always looking for low-cal, filling, freezer friendly recipes
  • heidifritz627
    heidifritz627 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Add a cup or two of cabbage, and maybe a bit of red or green pepper, and I am sold!
    :love: And, yes, more liquid, to make it stew-like or a thick soup.....YUM