I'm scared!!!!!!

I lost my beautiful young sister to diabetes in the most horrible way, (amputations, blindness, dyalisis) and have had friends who suffered the same fate. Now my diabetes is out of control and fear the worst. At first I did not take it seriously because I could eat anything and my A1C numbers were within normal parameters. But now they are high and my daily glucose level has been a rollercoaster. I am even starting to have difficulty driving at night, as my sight is blurred. For once I am taking the doctors seriously and am committed to get my glucose under control by following a strict diet and exercising daily. To say the least that is a lot easier than done as I love to eat all sorts of foods and lead a sedentary life, so even exercise is tough. To say the least, the foods the dietician has me on are BOOORING AND TASTELESS (!!!!!!), and after 20 minutes of exercise I feel as if I am about to die. I cannot overdo it, either as I have a heart condition and also suffer from hypertension. Anyone out there like me? I bet there are a bunch. Would love to hear from you.

Replies

• lilhope72
    lilhope72 Posts: 24 Member
    Friend request sent :smile:
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Don't be scared. Be grateful you are still in a position to improve your health :flowerforyou:
    Set yourself a small exercise goal, walk around the block. Then increase it a little every day increasing the times you go a day etc. Start with something achievable and expand.
    I have no advice to offer regarding diet, it sounds like you have the information, you just need to act on it.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Be scared, but don't let it over come you. Turn your fear into a fighting force and win. You can do it!!!
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    You don't have to eat boring and tasteless foods. My sister found herself in the same boat as you but she loves to eat and cook all sorts of delicious foods. Long story short, she has discovered all sorts of healthy grains to replace the unhealthy "whites" and even makes her own seeded breads and yogurt and has learned to enjoy her coffee without sugar. Fast forward a number of months later and she has lost a lot of weight and her bloodwork is beautiful. Her doctor could hardly believe her results. Her husband (another foodie) is actually loving the food too. Before this health scare she had never believed that food could affect your blood sugar and cholesterol but now the proof is in the pudding. This is only a problem now when she travels (which is a lot) but then she just sucks it up and tries to eat the best she can. She does cook a lot from scratch but a lot of the stuff she makes is simple. Explore the aisles with whole grains and check out the nutritional profiles. No one is going to succeed long term on a boring, tasteless diet. So find foods that are delicious but healthy and satisfying. Walking helps too.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    You have already done the most important part. You've made a commitment to change. I also have hypertension and sleep apnea. I am feeling much better since I began working out seriously in January. I've lost 35 lbs and I am confident that I will be able to come off my bp meds in the future. You can do it. Start gradually and realize this is marathon not a sprint. You'll have good days and bad, but the longer you go the good will out pace the bad. Setting reasonable goals is the key. Mfp is a great resource. You can fr if you like. Good luck sir.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    I lost my beautiful young sister to diabetes in the most horrible way, (amputations, blindness, dyalisis) and have had friends who suffered the same fate. Now my diabetes is out of control and fear the worst. At first I did not take it seriously because I could eat anything and my A1C numbers were within normal parameters. But now they are high and my daily glucose level has been a rollercoaster. I am even starting to have difficulty driving at night, as my sight is blurred. For once I am taking the doctors seriously and am committed to get my glucose under control by following a strict diet and exercising daily. To say the least that is a lot easier than done as I love to eat all sorts of foods and lead a sedentary life, so even exercise is tough. To say the least, the foods the dietician has me on are BOOORING AND TASTELESS (!!!!!!), and after 20 minutes of exercise I feel as if I am about to die. I cannot overdo it, either as I have a heart condition and also suffer from hypertension. Anyone out there like me? I bet there are a bunch. Would love to hear from you.
    try adding some spices and cooking sauces to the food
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    (((hugs)))):cry:

ilness is scary.

luckily this is one you can do something about.

do it.

don't waste time with fads or magic tricks. do straightforward tried and true work. you don't have time to mess around. YOU GOT THIS!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    By the way, I didn't mean to make it sound "easy" because I know it's not. It's just not as impossible as we (I am very much including myself in this statement) make it out to be. Also, it's okay to take baby steps because it is better than nothing. If we do nothing, we get worse. If we do something, we will slowly improve. I hear you on the exercise. I'm dying after 20 minutes going slow on the treadmill too. But the alternative is worse. Remember, it's not a race and any small improvement is an improvement.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Don't be scared. You are here and you know what you can't do anymore...and you know what you need to do.

You CAN do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member

Hi there,

I'm sadden to learn of the loss of your sister and your friends too. It's great your reaching out for help and support here.

bloodsugar101.com-is a great online resource designed to help those living with diabetes to achieve healthier blood sugar management practices along with offering some nutrition suggestions too.

Additionally, if your interested there is a type 2 diabetes support group within myfitnesspal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

You'll quickly find a lot of genuine support and encouragement from others sharing their experiences.

I AM a type 2 diabetic living a complication free life since my diagnosis in 1982.

I welcome the opportunity to help you, as you move forward, whenever possible.
  • Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    First of all ...I am sorry for your loss!
    Second...congratulation for being her!

I have 60 lbs to lose. I gained them due to menopause H E L L and I decided to quit smoking. I feel ugly and fat. I am out of shape it's not even funny.

I started yesterday, already had the first pitty party today and boy it was an eye opener. Read my profile and my blog and I hope you decide to add me as a friend.

Let's do this!
  • sillcogarjulie
    sillcogarjulie Posts: 4 Member
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister and friends.

I don't have the health problems you do but it sounds like you are trying. Twenty minutes of exercise is a GREAT start. You build on that slowly. Do the twenty minutes of exercise for a week or two then increase it slightly for a week or two then increase it slightly again, just keep going.

Speak to your dietician about the problems your having with the food. There are way to many options out there for diabetic's to be eating bland food. It might take some trial and error but you will be able to find very tasty diabetic food.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    I'm so sorry about your sister.

Morbid obesity with complications from diabetes run in my family in a big way. That is how the auntie I took after died. While growing up I was told I'd be skinny until about 40 then BOOM I'd be huge! :explode:

I have made choices that did not lead me down that path since my teens!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member

Sorry about your sister. You've come to the right place. Exercise, especially weightlifting, according to Dr. Oz's book, is great for blood sugar in that it forces insulin out of muscle tissue. Keep working out and managing your diet, it will get better and easier. I had so many problems that exercise has gotten rid of. Hang in there.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    ((Hugs)) ... About a year ago I decided to walk the dog.. I hadn't done it in a LONG time. Someone else always would. So, put my sports shoes on and march. Literally 30 seconds in I was gasping for breath. 2 minutes in I felt like I was gonna die. Needless to say, the whole "walk" took about 5 minutes.

Fast forward a year, I can now walk 90 minutes at TWICE my fastest speed back then and apart from the odd day out, I have great control of my blood sugar. Just do as much as you can and don't hit the point where you are so tired you would die. That would demotivate you. Just set a comfortable pace and time and increase it very gradually and you will get where you want in no time. Same with strength training, which is a good idea for diabetics (granted you take it very slowly and follow every safety procedure)

Good luck... I really hope you achieve every goal your set your mind to :heart: