stress

Here I am..in my truck at 1 am..dealing with a stressful family situation. I use to eat comfort food to help me cope. I'm not going to do that but I have to learn other ways to cope. Any other stress eaters here and what did you substitute? I already had a good cry lol

Replies

• VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    For short-term tummy filling, just keep making cups and cups of tea (herbal or decaf if you need!) without sugar or milk. After a week, it stops tasting nasty and you actually start to crave it as a treat (try it! it works!)

Long term stress relief: exercise hard and regularly.

After a 13 year long time with depression and severe anxiety, and severe stress (moved to another country while my mom was dying of brain cancer, lost my home, my friends, my job, just about everything! and had no support from a single human being, not a friend, not family, not a doctor or counselor or priest!) I finally got a handle on things last August when I started exercising like 5 times a week. The first week was "oh this sucks! I hate exercise!" and the 2nd and 3rd weeks were "hey, I've done 2 weeks and this is getting easier - this exercise isn't quite as miserable as it was last week!" and by the 5th week, my mood had improved. About 2 months in, I realized one day that I hadn't been sad or mad or scared for over a month! I found that as long as I continued to exercise regularly, all my stress etc. was so much better, not yelling at the kid or the dogs anymore, not needing a whole pack of cookies every day to soak up the stomach acid from the stress, not needing 4 beers every night just to calm down. Exercise was my "cure." And tea. (and diet soda but I don't recommend that. I am trying to give it up!)

My Dad was a professional wrestler back in the day and he always said if you want a good night's sleep, exercise. It helps so many things.
  • Cry, pray, listen to music
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Good tips!!! Ty! Voodoo..how stressful!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Awww, keep your chin up!
    I'm usually the binger... But this time that stress hit me, I can't seem to eat enough to fill my daily calories and I might need to go see someone about this, if it doesn't stop.
    I have about 36 minutes left in today's food and haven't finished the food I portioned out for myself yet..

As I've been saying all week... The body is a strange thing.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    For short-term tummy filling, just keep making cups and cups of tea (herbal or decaf if you need!)

I do this a lot. It becomes a routine and soothes me. I am horrid at coping with stress so I may not be the best to give advice. I would love to tell you to get some fresh air and walk but at 1am and traveling I just want you to be safe.

For helping vent, a journal or diary is a good start. I also keep a stash of bad day movies that I can just veg out get lost in, same with some books. It is my way of running away from problems I can't actually run away from.

I hope things settle down for you and if you are stuck in your truck you can try guided imagery or guided meditation tracks. Those can really help relax you if you practice.

Best of luck.
  • shortntall1
    Awww, keep your chin up!
    I'm usually the binger... But this time that stress hit me, I can't seem to eat enough to fill my daily calories and I might need to go see someone about this, if it doesn't stop.
    I have about 36 minutes left in today's food and haven't finished the food I portioned out for myself yet..

As I've been saying all week... The body is a strange thing.
    it sure is ! I'm going to try to sleep..be back later..hugs all..Marla
  • shortntall1
    PS..I appreciate everything!
  • I am a stress eater...I have put on 5lbs since my exam period at University started! I try to deal with it by talking...ranting to family and friends etc! Reading is a great comforter for me as well. Trying to battle emotional eating is tough, but we got this!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Netflix, shopping (if you got the dollas! lol), exercise, hanging out with friends, surfing the net, oh and sleep!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    punching bag
  • shortntall1
    Ty a bunch!!

I need to get a punching bag lol ...Marla
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I'm one of the ones who recommends tea. Breathing deeply in general is a stress release, physiologically speaking, and I find that tea vapors really helps. Sometimes I don't even drink the tea I just inhale.

When I was in undergrad at Penn State, I would just start running. It didn't matter what time it was. I remember a lot of 2 am runs. Looking back, not the smartest decision, and I stayed to the lit areas but still dumb. However the running aspect of it was a great stress release. I would run until I was so tired I would pass out when I got back to the dorm.

@soupandfruit I am there with you with finals!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Do you have a way to exercise at 1 am in the morning? I would highly recommend it, preferably with music.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I always exercise for Stress...

If I have a debate with my husband...walk with music...discussion with my mother...walk with music...

Big fight with anyone I lift heavy stuff repeatedly with heavy metal music...

Then I have a hot bath, maybe a drink then bed turn on a movie from netflix and fall asleep.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    I hate to say this but I've started shopping and also i have taken up some new hobbies. So I go on Pinterest and i find something fun to make. I started making wine in my house too since it takes so long to ferment, I've started gardening, and i also keep a jar of positive things I love about myself and things I am thankful for and pull it out when I'm stressed. Some of this stuff might sound silly but it gets me through it. I actually had a binge for two days and the second day I realized that I was emotional eating because of something that happened at work.

Also when I'm feeling better I write a note to my future self. So that when I want to binge eat I can read the letter and understand what i need t do.

I know it sounds crazy but these work for me. Hang In there!~