So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    I think it depends on your mind frame.

I think a lot of people go into it, expecting themselves to magically be happy once they hit a certain number. That's bad. That encourages disordered thinking and low self esteem. Because once you hit that number, it either won't be enough or you'll be so stressed about staying there that you'll lose your sense of living life to the fullest. You shouldn't go into it thinking "I want to be skinny so I can wear 'x' without looking like 'x'" or "I want to be skinny so I can be happy".

Our society puts too much emphasis on being 'happy' with our weight. This is backwards, if you ask me. It encourages disordered thinking. It does two things: It either encourages people to want to lose weight for superficial reasons, or (in your friend's case) encourages them to accept their unhealthy lifestyle because 'at least they're living'. I have, too often, seen overweight people brag about how they are happy because they can eat a box of Ho Ho's and not have to worry about weight. This line of thinking isn't any better than thinking "I'll be happy when I only weigh 'x'".

I always tell people... don't think of it as a diet. That implies that you have to change everything. It has negative attachments to the word. Think of it as a lifestyle change. You don't have to stop eating 'x' just because you want to lose weight. When you lose weight, don't think about losing weight. Think about getting healthy. If you're healthy when you're overweight (and contrary to belief, some people ARE), that's fine. If you're healthy at a BMI of 25, don't sweat it. And don't always even listen to the doctor. My sister was told she should lose weight until she's 115 lbs. This is bloody ridiculous. She wasn't 115 even at her smallest weight. She was 115 in middle school. One should NOT be told to strive for their middle school body. There is an unhealthy obsession with weight. With being skinny or, on the opposite side of the coin, 'curvy'. People too often lose sight about what's most important: eating simply to survive and exercising because being sedentary isn't good for anyone.
  • TRUST ME IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT! i lost 23 kilos and it was the best thing ive done in my life, u get much more confident and will make you so happy with living life, i even met my gf after i got fit, something im pretty sure wouldnt have happened if i was still the lazy fat guy who did nothing but eat and eat :laugh:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    I'm not skinny, being 180 pounds at 5' 11". But the 60 pounds I have lost has been worth the effort it took. I have more energy and find myself spending less time in front of this keyboard, which is a good thing. As far as being happy, that is a whole other thing. When I was young, and truly skinny, I had a period of my life when I was depressed. It had nothing to do with weight, but more to do with bad relationships and bad decisions. And when I was at 250 pounds a few years ago, I was happy. The one should have nothing to do with the other. Your job, your friends, your family, your marriage, your economic situation and your health are all things that can make you happy or unhappy. But your weight should only be a concern as how it relates to your health.
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    Be careful what you say because apparently someone on here has an issue with certain posts. Everyone have a great Sunday morning. :ohwell:
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Be careful what you say because apparently someone on here has an issue with certain posts. Everyone have a great Sunday morning. :ohwell:

yes, many do not like hearing " only dogs like bones". Especially from a young women that had gastric bypass surgery.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Not sure than I'm skinny but I think I'm slim now UK size 8/10 and I've never felt better, my confidence has increased so much. I exercise a lot so I can still enjoy curry, pasta, chocolate, wine all the good things in life but in moderation and I make sensible choices most of the time. I find the more I get into exercise the more I want to make better food choices and I now realise how much exercise I need to do to burn some foods off. I've lost 17 pounds in total and dropped 2 dress sizes but I've also improved my fitness massively, I've got from couch potato to being able to run 10 miles. It's the best thing I've ever done.
  • RaquellJefferson
    RaquellJefferson Posts: 5 Member
    This is really a good question and something I have asked myself. Is it worth it to work a workout into an already tight schedule and to not have a huge latte when I am tired and my day has been crap... but to me it is. It is not about thin or skinny it is about healthy. I have lost 16lbs so far and life is easier. I can get in and out of the car easier, I can walk up and down stairs without being winded, I don't have to worry if my belly is poking our or how bad my back fat looks, I don't have to worry about my blood work.. I know everything is just fine because I have done the work.

My goal is to live the best life I can to the fullest and choosing to be overweight is just going to limit me and be one more thing to cramp my journey. So its totally worth it to me!!
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    One thing I wanted to point out here (and if someone said it already, I apologize) is that food is fuel. We are the only creatures in the world who eat for "fun". This is how I try to approach my healthy lifestyle...

You have to eat to get your body to do all the things you want it to do. Forming an emotional attachment to food, especially wherein you sacrifice other things (your body), to enjoy it is unhealthy to me.

Whenever I want to have a giant bowl of ice cream or a giant slice of cake, I have to think to myself "Will putting this in to my body fuel me for what I want to do in the next hour/day/year?" That really helps me put things in perspective.

However, the fact of the matter is that our society does make it seem like eating should have an emotional attachment. We go out for drinks to celebrate the end of the week, go out to dinner when we make new friends, have birthday cake when we celebrate birthdays...so I'm not saying you should NEVER enjoy these things, but day to day, just remember "Food is fuel."
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    I don't know, am I classed as skinny ?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    One thing I wanted to point out here (and if someone said it already, I apologize) is that food is fuel. We are the only creatures in the world who eat for "fun". This is how I try to approach my healthy lifestyle...

You have to eat to get your body to do all the things you want it to do. Forming an emotional attachment to food, especially wherein you sacrifice other things (your body), to enjoy it is unhealthy to me.

Whenever I want to have a giant bowl of ice cream or a giant slice of cake, I have to think to myself "Will putting this in to my body fuel me for what I want to do in the next hour/day/year?" That really helps me put things in perspective.

However, the fact of the matter is that our society does make it seem like eating should have an emotional attachment. We go out for drinks to celebrate the end of the week, go out to dinner when we make new friends, have birthday cake when we celebrate birthdays...so I'm not saying you should NEVER enjoy these things, but day to day, just remember "Food is fuel."
    Good for you for having found what works for you. I will never feel bad about a glass of wine or a slice of cake or a tub of ice cream. Yes, they contain energy. Yes, I can handle that in a healthy way now.
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Feeling good and looking good is incredible!
    It shows the world that you value yourself and your health more than a few minutes of endulgence every meal.
    Everyone has there own motivation. I love clothes and fashion! I used to see so many different outfits I loved, but knew I could never wear them. The joy I get out of choosing my clothes for the style and not for how they make my body look is fantastic, so yes, being fit is worth it in my opinion.
    Besides, Its not like you have to give up any of those foods to be skinny. There is no rule book that says if you eat a cookie ever in your life again you won't succeed. The great thing about all this is you CAN have your cake and eat it too! :D
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    I don't want to be skinny but I don't want to be fat either. Its a balance. For me losing weight has a few purposes. I think confidence is a factor. I want to be able to take my shirt off in public and not worry about my gut. It's a health issue too. It's proven that the middle aged man spare tire is just not healthy. It will make me faster as well. I am an endurance athlete and I really want to drop my 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon times. Being 20 punds lighter will be much easier on my joints as well.

I'm not too worried about maintance. Many days of the week I am burning close to 2000 calories or more just from exercise. I just need to make better foo choices. Better food choices will most likely fuel my body better for training as well so it's a win/win.

I think it's important to evaluate why you want to lose weight. Make sure you are doing it for you!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I'll say that I had a much more relaxed relationship with food before I started all this. Food was just something I ate to get me through the day. I would eat when I was hungry, never planned my meals, never really gave it a second thought. Back then I always said if I could take a pill and not have to eat I would. Unfortunately I was just ignorant, naive and made bad choices cause I didnt know any better.

I'm much happier with how I look now, I can share countless NSV's, I'm able to physically do pretty much whatever I put my mind to and I can wear almost all the clothes I never could before. The positives seriously are AWESOME

However, I know this isn't the case for everyone. I Have a very obsessive personality and I've always become really good at whatever I wanna get really good at. I've spent a LOT of time reading, researching, learning how to cook, reading labels etc that calorie counting and food has almost taken over my life. I've developed a very bad relationship with food even tho on the outside I seem to be doing everything right, and I am most days. Its the internal dialogue and just constant battle in my mind that bothers me. I know too much about food now. I cant relax about it like I would before. When we're out for dinner I'm always wondering how much oil they've used preparing the food, estimating calories, wondering if/what I should leave on the plate so I dont over eat, never chosing what I WANT from the menu, but what I know will fit in my day. Food isnt 'enjoyable' anymore cause I'm not letting myself enjoy it.

I KNOW that I can easily slide over to the dark side if I'm not careful. I know I'm smart enough to not do it but its hard man... I'm telling you. Its a toss up for me deciding if my mental state now is worth the weight I've lost. I'm gonna say yes for now but If I knew then what could happen I'm not sure I woulda started the journey.

:noway: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    OMG yes.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Nah, I don't want to be skinny. I want curves and muscles and strength.
  • Well, you can be slim and not obsess over weight gain and calories. If you lose the weight, you can still enjoy food. Just eat a healthy, balanced diet with things like cake and cookies in moderation and you won't need to worry.
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    I'll say that I had a much more relaxed relationship with food before I started all this. Food was just something I ate to get me through the day. I would eat when I was hungry, never planned my meals, never really gave it a second thought. Back then I always said if I could take a pill and not have to eat I would. Unfortunately I was just ignorant, naive and made bad choices cause I didnt know any better.

I'm much happier with how I look now, I can share countless NSV's, I'm able to physically do pretty much whatever I put my mind to and I can wear almost all the clothes I never could before. The positives seriously are AWESOME

However, I know this isn't the case for everyone. I Have a very obsessive personality and I've always become really good at whatever I wanna get really good at. I've spent a LOT of time reading, researching, learning how to cook, reading labels etc that calorie counting and food has almost taken over my life. I've developed a very bad relationship with food even tho on the outside I seem to be doing everything right, and I am most days. Its the internal dialogue and just constant battle in my mind that bothers me. I know too much about food now. I cant relax about it like I would before. When we're out for dinner I'm always wondering how much oil they've used preparing the food, estimating calories, wondering if/what I should leave on the plate so I dont over eat, never chosing what I WANT from the menu, but what I know will fit in my day. Food isnt 'enjoyable' anymore cause I'm not letting myself enjoy it.

I KNOW that I can easily slide over to the dark side if I'm not careful. I know I'm smart enough to not do it but its hard man... I'm telling you. Its a toss up for me deciding if my mental state now is worth the weight I've lost. I'm gonna say yes for now but If I knew then what could happen I'm not sure I woulda started the journey.

:noway: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

I have the same mind set as you do unfortunately. My whole day revolves around fitness and food. I can't stop thinking about how certain foods will effect me or I feel as if the world is going to end if I don't work out. Im also isolating myself from any activity that involves food I'm not comfortable with. Like the movies, going out to dinner, amusement parks. The worst part is the strain its put on my relationships. I feel my boyfriend of almost 4 years and I are growing apart in some ways because he isn't into fitness like I am and I dedicate so much of my time at the gym it makes it hard for us to spend quality time. My hope is once I lose these last 10 pounds I can relax a bit more and adventure out of my comfort zone and spend much more time with family and friends.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I don't consider myself skinny and I don't think I ever will. Part of that is my build. I'm short, compact with a medium to large frame. Even though I'm smaller now I don't think I will ever be skinny. That being said I do think it is worth it and the last 18 months i have seen tremendous changes. Not just physically, but life in general. There are other factors here but work has changed, how I think others view me has changed and how i view me has changed. Nothing but positives imo. I've had plenty of splurges over the last 18 months. I have just have far fewer of them.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    This question has been haunting me. I'm far from skinny, but the forty pounds I've lost in the past two years has had an undeniably positive impact on my health. Tracking calories has become a game for me, and I continue to enjoy my favorite foods in smaller portions. The daily exercise has increased my stamina. In most ways I'd say the lifestyle changes have been worth it.

Still, to be honest, part of me longs to be a lazy lumpkin eating as much as I want of whatever I want.
  • LloydSev
    LloydSev Posts: 41 Member
    Here's what I know - being healthy is better than not being healthy, regardless of how big or small I am. I don't need food to do that, if I do it'd be no different than needing alcohol to do it and I'd go get help to help me cope. Being healthy is the best option for me as I have children I'd like to know as adults.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!