Donald Sterling and the NBA

14567810»

Replies

• Sharonwalkergmailcom
    Sharonwalkergmailcom Posts: 20 Member
    Jmoore u took the words right out of my mouth. It was a set up. An true be told we all know that America is one of the most racist countries in the world. Regardless if they have a black president.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    is he an a-hole? sure, no doubt about it. he has a right to say what he wants IMO, and honestly it probably isn't any more or less racist than some of the things his players have probably said at one point or another.. banishment is a bit Ludacris, though i can see hitting him up with a fine.

And here we go with the "free speech" argument.

The NBA is a private company, for all intents and purposes. He represents the NBA. The NBA can mete out any punishment it wants.

I did think it was a bit harsh, but it isn't like he's going to die in a gutter over it. I wish the professional sports organizations were this harsh on rapists, drunk drivers, murderers and dog abusers, though.

^^ Thank you.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    I can't wait till one of the players actually gets arrested or caught using a homophobic or racist slur. Somehow I doubt they will get a lifetime ban...

Kobe Bryant a few years ago was fined $ 100k for yelling a gay slur at a referee. While neither is acceptable, there is a difference in yelling a slur and holding the opinion Mr. Sterling does and the pattern of behavior he exibits towards minorities.

Why doesn't using a slur mean you don't hold the opinion? If you drop the n word you're labeled a racist right? If you drop a gay slur you're by definition a homophobe right? Let's ban Kobe next!

Kobe is my least favorite NBA player and I find him vastly overrated and annoying. That being said he.

1. Said in the heat of the moment, towards a heterosexual referree. It was not a 9 minute diatribe.
    2. Recanted, apologized profusely (during the interview Silver was asked if Sterling apologized for the statements and he said not that he was aware of)
    3. Has never settled a lawsuit alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation
    4. Did not asked gay people to not attend Lakers games

Were his actions acceptable? No. Is it the same? No.

You do understand degrees right? Punching someone and murdering someone are different? You follow?

Context is important. Intent is important. History is important.

I follow you but the commissioner said after his press conference today that this decision isn't a result of past incidences, it involves only this tape recording. If you want to talk about degrees then on a scale of 1 to 10 how racist were his comments really? Enough for the death penalty? I don't think so...

Is someone getting the death penalty???!

The basketball and social equivalent yes indeed he is.... You call this a slap on the wrist buddy?

He will still ride off into the sunset with his hundreds of millions...

Yup, they are saying if he does sell will get close to a billion for the franchise he bought for 12 million 30 years ago
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    America is the most racist country in the world?

Sources, please.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    People need to learn some history. I'm outta here.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member

Sources, please.

"one of"
  • _101010_
    _101010_ Posts: 121
    2.jpg
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member

Sources, please.

It's India. 1.2 billion people and most of them hate Pakistanis...
  • HerkMeOff
    2.jpg

Who was denied free speech?
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    is he an a-hole? sure, no doubt about it. he has a right to say what he wants. I think what he said was horrible
  • _101010_
    _101010_ Posts: 121
    2.jpg

I have no earthly idea... Just thought I'd start a little protest on the sidelines of the thread...
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member

Interesting use of the term "Reverse Racism", I've always seen it used in the context of giving minorities special treatment in order to avoid appearing racist.

I don't see anything in that video that's really relevant though. Just a blanket statement of blame on all modern people for something we had nothing to do with.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    2.jpg

I have no earthly idea... Just thought I'd start a little protest on the sidelines of the thread...
    lol! Your freaking awesome!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    The dude is a dirty old man who cheats on his wife, and apparently quite the racist, so no love loss there. BUT, what he said was a private phone message to his old girlfriend, whom his wife has a lawsuit against, presumably for sleeping with her husband.
    I think the punishment was a bit harsh, for a private conversation.
    This IS very much a slippery slope setting a precedent for losing our freedom of speech.

I mean, if Michael Vick didn't get banned for life, no one should.
    Another PETA fan? You care more about animals than your fellow humans? I and many admit what Vick done was wrong and he paid for it. Unless you consider people of other races the same as dogs?

Yeah, I prefer dogs to most humans and no I'm not a peta fan, I love to eat cow
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Correct me if I am wrong here as I surely don't follow basketball of any kind. Isnt he talking to his girlfriend on the phone asking her not to be bringing her guys around? Isn't one of them interested in buying the team? Isn't that kinda convenient that this happened? I could be wrong but that is what I pieced together from the few stories I was able to sift through. Anyone?

So what you're saying is Magic buys them cheap?!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member

Interesting use of the term "Reverse Racism", I've always seen it used in the context of giving minorities special treatment in order to avoid appearing racist.

I don't see anything in that video that's really relevant though. Just a blanket statement of blame on all modern people for something we had nothing to do with.

I don't think anyone blames people for the actions of their ancestors. But people are to blame for pretending the reverberations of the past have no impact on the present.
  • FitWithWit44
    FitWithWit44 Posts: 412 Member
    I would be more uncomfortable seeing my mistress with a man that has the HIV virus :noway:
  • HerkMeOff
    I would be more uncomfortable seeing my mistress with a man that has the HIV virus :noway:

Wait...why?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    He will still ride off into the sunset with his hundreds of millions...
    Millionaire/billionaires try to make a name for themselves as a professional team owner. While he may ride out with money, he still be pissed because chances are he'll NEVER be an owner of a pro team in any sports again. These type of guys crave fame along with fortune.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. This discussion is welcome to continue in groups.

The forum guidelines include this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.