Thyroid Issues?

Does anyone have thyroid issues that make it a constant struggle to lose weight? How do you manage?

Replies

• MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    I do too. I was supposed to be taking some meds, but due to finiancial issues, am unable at the moment. It is a constant battle. It keeps me very tired. This is a good site to help keep you motivated. I plan on getting on my meds to regulate my Thyroid, and to try and help. I'm sure your doctor can give you some eating tips as well. Been a while since I have seen my doctor on that, or I would pass on some better advice.
  • I have thyroid issues (I'm on Levothyroxine for it). I don't have any advice for losing weight with thyroid issues, but wanted to be included in this post in case anyone else has any advice. Good luck! :)
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    I've had hypothyroid since I was 9, I am now 26. Its really is a constant battle and struggle. My level are wacky even on meds. I make sure to eat small portions and never go with out eating. That makes my metabolism even slower.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    I have a hypothyroid and do not take any medications. I noticed I lose weight slower but it is coming off. I am extremely tired all the time but force myself to get out there and walk. Just stay focus and it will come off.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    I have Hypothyroidism. The weight is coming off better than I thought it would. I joined MFP 5/31/2011 and have lost 13 lbs. since. It hasn't been a walk in the park though, I have been working very hard to make this happen. I track everything I eat and I exercise 6x a week. When I was first was diagnosed, it was very disheartening to read how difficult it would be to lose weight. I think I just gave up w/o even trying. Then when my doc. recommended this site, I figured "what the heck. It probably won't work." Well guess what? It does!! It easy to get discouraged, but you just have to come into this thing with guns blazing! Work hard, journal everything...YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    I just got back from the Endocrinologist today....I had a complete thyroidectomy back in 06...and it has been up and down.
    My lowest weight pre surgery was about 155. I was a sophomore in college and a size 8. I leveled out at a size 10-12 and 175 lbs around graduation.
    When I was diagnosed with Grave's disease I was about 165 but eating constantly (every hour or I would feel really sick.) Knowing what I do about calories now, I was probably eating at least 4000 cals a day when I was hyperthyroid. After my thyroid was taken out I saw a nutritionist and my weight went up to about 185. As I have gotten a little older it has been bouncing between 180 and 195. However, I am an eater. I cook all of the time, I bake home made things, and really enjoy my wine. My tsh was around a 3 when it was leveled out. I still felt like I needed a nap all of the time.

This past winter I quit smoking and my TSH jumped up to a 6....I went up to 204, and needed a meds adjustment. I felt great with the med switch, but didn't lose any weight. As a matter of fact I gained two more pounds, so I am back here on MFP. I am measuring all of my food, mildly restricting my alcohol and being physically active every day. So far it is working great. However, now that I have lost 11 lbs, I may need to have my meds lowered again, which makes me very nervous about it being harder to lose the lbs.

All in all, I think that it is easier for me to put weight on and harder for me to take it off due to my thyroid issues. I won't even go into how it affects my hair, skin, and reproductive system! But in the grand scheme of things I don't blame my thyroid for all of my 30 lbs I need to drop... about twenty - I got those from my love of cheese, wine, and baked treats...and sitting on my *kitten* a lot this spring.
    I found that I had certain repeat offenders in my diet that I needed to get control of, and that measuring my food along with a minimum of twenty minutes of cardio a day is getting about a lb and a half off a week.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    I have a hypothyroid and do not take any medications. I noticed I lose weight slower but it is coming off. I am extremely tired all the time but force myself to get out there and walk. Just stay focus and it will come off.

May I ask why you aren't taking any medication? From what I understand, if Thyroid disease is left untreated for a long time, it can be dangerous. Im just curious is all, I hope I wasn't out of line by asking.
  • checoo
    checoo Posts: 12 Member
    I have an issue that results in a thyroid problem and I'm trying to work through it. I have autoimmune thyroiditis which is like Hashimotos. It's an immune disorder that causes an attack on the thyroid causing it to malfunction. Mine results in hypothyroid symptoms even though lab results say normal. I have a goiter and hypothyroid symptoms such as extreme fatigue, random pain, muscle twitching, inflammation, hair thinning, feeling cold, constipation, and much more. I'm being treated with 45mg of armour.

I couldn't lose weight for 2 years until I discovered the connection between Hashimotos and gluten sensitivity. I'm gluten free now and that has helped me to start to finally lose weight, as well as restored my energy and nearly eliminated the remainder of my hypothyroid symptoms. I also take supplements to support the thyroid (Selenium, Zinc, NAC, AlphaLipoic CoQ10, etc), drink minimum of 8 glasses of water and elimnated added sugar. I started all of this June 1st (supplements have been since discover of thyroid issue 2 years ago), and I'm finally seeing the beginnings weight reduction.

The issue I'd been having since this plan was eating enough. I found that when eating 1200 calories, my body goes into starvation mode right after dropping a pound. I just learned to combat this by increasing my calories by 100 - 200 as soon as I see a weight loss and/or after an intense workout.

Still working on the thyroid issue, however, mine is through repairing the gut (probiotics, yeast cleanse, indentifying food allergies, etc.). So right now I appear to be managing with the thyroid issue.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member

The issue I'd been having since this plan was eating enough. I found that when eating 1200 calories, my body goes into starvation mode right after dropping a pound. I just learned to combat this by increasing my calories by 100 - 200 as soon as I see a weight loss and/or after an intense workout.

Still working on the thyroid issue, however, mine is through repairing the gut (probiotics, yeast cleanse, indentifying food allergies, etc.). So right now I appear to be managing with the thyroid issue.

I saw the same thing with dropping below 1200 net calories. I have been aiming for 1500 net cals.
    I was recently put on Armour and found it to be amazingly different! I really noticed the change, and finally don't feel like I need a nap!
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Thanks for all the replies!! I was diagnosed last August and i am medicated for it. This is just a huge struggle and not that I would wish it on anyone, but glad to know Im not the only one.

For the one that is not medicated if you are able to get the medication I would seriously do it. The past year has been the best I can remember in a long time. Im not so tired I cant move and my hormones are somewhat in order. I feel sooooo much better regulated. It is also dangerous is left untreated.

Love to you all!
  • I too was very frustrated with the Dr.'s! I did my own research also and thankfully never went on a pill! Once i changed my diet I was finally able to lose the weight...then I got pregant!!! Just gave birth 3 weeks ago and now have to start all over! lol
    congrats to you though on doing the research! Hardly anyone realizes the connection and the affect the food has on us!
  • sorry..that response about thyroid was directed to: user CHECOO
  • stacydcampbell
    stacydcampbell Posts: 10 Member
    I have had thyroid issues for 25 yrs. I do take meds for my thyroid and is currently trying to wing my self off meds.Since 2/1/2013 I have been educating and practicing homepathy methods of treating my hypothyroidism. the form i have is hoshimotos i am learning that there is a lot of things that I was eating that is healthy for you that with thyroid disease we should not eat. Such as Tuna, tomatos, collard greens and so much more. i do struggle with my weight. however i have went from 285-242 my goal this year is to loose 73lbs. im down 10.2 so far. but i have been eating horrible. the best diet for those who has thyroid disease is an autoimmune diet. which is basically gluten free. but remember there is things we simply should not eat that seems healthy. did you know that grapefruits aggravates thyroid disease?
  • camifit_
    camifit_ Posts: 2
    It really is so much harder with thyroid problems. I often times feel like a hamster on a wheel getting no where. I try to remind myself that I'd be much less healthy if I didn't do my daily workouts and if I weren't extra mindful with my diet.

I've found a number of things to help me:
    -taking my nature throid medicine daily
    -taking maca powder with gi revive powder in water every morning (maca powder for immune system and cramps, gi revive to help me with my permeable gut, which is common for those with hashimoto's)
    -doing certain yoga poses to increase metabolism and thyroid function
    -taking daily supplements
    -avoiding gluten, soy, raw cruciferous vegetables (and other food sensitivities)
    -avoiding chemicals like chlorine, fluoride, bromine, etc
    -triphala is really the best thing if you have constipation issues. Before starting nature throid, I'd have to take 3 triphala pills every night just to have a bm, but now with my thyroid medicine, I haven't even cracked the triphala bottle :)

Hope this helps!

I try to post thyroid awareness and things to help in the extra challenges we have on my instagram: thyroidgladiators - http://instagram.com/thyroidgladiators
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    WOW what did your Doctor have you on i am on Levothyroxine 100 mcg and for 60 day it cost me $6.67
    I do too. I was supposed to be taking some meds, but due to finiancial issues, am unable at the moment. It is a constant battle. It keeps me very tired. This is a good site to help keep you motivated. I plan on getting on my meds to regulate my Thyroid, and to try and help. I'm sure your doctor can give you some eating tips as well. Been a while since I have seen my doctor on that, or I would pass on some better advice.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Do you take a probiotic ? I make my own and oh has it helped me i have a lot of GUT issues i was off gluten for 4 years and brought some back into my diet and it bothers me some times when i eat it but not all once i got my gut healthy again . But i have been having more attacks again so i am taking all gluten and dairy other that fermented out of my diet again . If you would like more info on making probiotics shoot me a messsage:smile:
    I have an issue that results in a thyroid problem and I'm trying to work through it. I have autoimmune thyroiditis which is like Hashimotos. It's an immune disorder that causes an attack on the thyroid causing it to malfunction. Mine results in hypothyroid symptoms even though lab results say normal. I have a goiter and hypothyroid symptoms such as extreme fatigue, random pain, muscle twitching, inflammation, hair thinning, feeling cold, constipation, and much more. I'm being treated with 45mg of armour.

I couldn't lose weight for 2 years until I discovered the connection between Hashimotos and gluten sensitivity. I'm gluten free now and that has helped me to start to finally lose weight, as well as restored my energy and nearly eliminated the remainder of my hypothyroid symptoms. I also take supplements to support the thyroid (Selenium, Zinc, NAC, AlphaLipoic CoQ10, etc), drink minimum of 8 glasses of water and elimnated added sugar. I started all of this June 1st (supplements have been since discover of thyroid issue 2 years ago), and I'm finally seeing the beginnings weight reduction.

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    WOW what did your Doctor have you on i am on Levothyroxine 100 mcg and for 60 day it cost me $6.67

I have the same issue, I cannot take a generic, I have tried, many times. Dr said sometimes people's body's react differently to different ingredients in meds so I get to pay over $76, for a 90 day supply.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Lots of people have thyroid issues, welcome to the club! One of the ones where membership isn't really wanted.... >_<

Anyway, I have Hashimoto's and know your pain when it comes to losing weight. But don't give in - it's still possible to lose. :)

ETA: Just realized I didn't really answer the question I manage by staying focused on my ultimate goal: feeling better. I try to keep this in the front of my mind to make conscious decisions about what I eat, how much I sleep, when I exercise, when I take my meds, anything I do. I've even recently changed when I take my meds - at night at bedtime opposed to first thing in the morning. I feel much better doing this. I also self treat based on how I feel instead of finding another dr that will only treat me on TSH...I don't have the time for that. If I did, I'd still be feeling like crap.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    I just kept plugging away and eventually I began to make progress, pushing myself more and being very meticulous with my calorie counting. Watched my sodium and my fats, kept my proteins a little higher and my carbs a little lower. Pushed myself on the exercise even though I have artificial knees. I am beneath my goal weight now and mostly maintaining, though I would not mind losing a few more, I am happy where I am. I was 272 pounds when I started and lowest weight was 144.2. Up a few this morning though. As long as I stay under 150, I'm a happy camper.
  • DCarney
    DCarney Posts: 38 Member
    Same thing here: Hashimotos's/hypothyroid. I was diagnosed after the birth of my 1st son. I was running myself (literally running) into the ground trying to lose weight and eventually I was diagnosed. I take synthroid, which has been adjusted multiple times throughout pregnancy and over the course of 3 years. I manage by maintaining a healthy nutritional approach, exercising daily and keeping in the forefront of my mind that autoimmune diseases always open the door for other autoimmune diseases to enter. If I don't keep up with my health I put myself at risk. Feel free to add me!