Whole30, Reset for May

SteamClutch
SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
I am doing the Whole30 or Reset diet thingy in May. This is my first attempt but I have been doing Primal for 5 months now and am nearly (95%ish) Paleo now anyway, so it should not be much of a stretch for me. If anyone else is interested please chime in.

Replies

• Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Hubinator may divorce me if I do another Whole30 so soon but I will show my support by staying as close to primal as possible. Too much off-roading with WAPF foods recently and I can see/feel the effects. Power too ya, friend!!
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    I am doing a reset starting May 1 as well. Basically whole 30 that allows butter and bacon. Possibly heavy cream.
  • SteamClutch
    Great! I am just opening this up for cross support everyone is welcome.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Obviously, I badly need a reset… I'm balking at the Whole30 because my last one seemed to do something detrimental to my brain and I've been having trouble being as strict with my food as I used to be ever since. I went into an "eat all the things" mentality and have been struggling ever since. That said, a month of reset is probably in order. I'm all out of wine since this past weekend so it might be great timing. :wink:
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    I am not going to do a whole 30 right now but I am VERY committed to keeping up with my keto paleo plan and here for support and to get some as well.I need to keep myself accountable this time around and start to kick some *kitten* again :)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    I'm also doing the Whole 30 with the following exceptions: butter, heavy cream, bacon. I'm also allowing myself the possibility of drink/dessert for my hubby's b-day. If you're ok with those breaks from the Hartwig's, I'm in!
  • I'm in, but will be having 2T of half n half a day, and my grassfed Kerry Gold butter (about 2-3 times a week), and I will not give up my bacon......EVER!!!!!

Red
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    I'm in as well.

And if I'm not successful with a whole 30, at the very least I need a mental back-to-basics Paleo reset. :drinker:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Hey Clutch! I've decided to join you on a reset. I'll probably be more in line with Chris Kresser's guidelines than Whole30. Besides the usual limits I will also limit nuts and fruits to no more than one serving per day and ideally zero per day. I too will have butter here and there (since ghee is hard to get) and bacon but I'm going to limit them. I'll be doing my usual ketogenic thing but will allow lots of carbs from low starch veggies. Hard for me to forego dairy entirely but I know that I really, really, really need to.
  • SteamClutch
    Cool, good to see people joining together. I am not putting limitations on this because I figure many of you have been through this and know your own limitations and what you can tolerate by now. I however do not, because I have not. I am looking into what needs to go away for me and as many of you know I can be pretty strict with myself but I will be nobody Drill Sergent so you will have my support and no judgement from me. Akima save some wine for me I will likely need some from a month without cheese :bigsmile:
  • SteamClutch
    One more thing, I like things in a nutshell, I have read the Hartwig's and Kresser's books but it was on my Kindle so I cannot easily find the programs in simple terms. I am providing links below for people wanting a quick review so there is a starting point (I do not care if it is modified to your tastes and needs). I am doing this for quick reference which I will use from time to time so I thought I would put it up for anyone else with this need. I will miss my dark chocolate the most but I know I can do this

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/your-personal-paleo-code-by-chris-kresser-2013-food-list/
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Allrighty, I'm in. I'll try clarifying my Kerrygold butter for ghee, and switch my almond milk with carrageenan (Blue Diamond) for one without. The only thing I might have to keep is stevia.

Those links are very helpful for a refresher, thanks!

I found this link for avoiding carrageenan: http://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Hi all,
    I started a Whole30 (my second) on the 21st as a spring reset. I'm sticking to the program, just not obsessing about finding impossible-to-find non-sugar-cured bacon. Regular bacon it shall be. (But, honestly, I'm kind of sick of bacon at this point in my mostly-paleo existence.) The first week has gone well, though I am having serious cravings for cheese! Good luck to all of you.
    Amanda
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    I'm in. I tried my first Whole 30 back in March. It did not go well. The first week or two were fine, and then craziness ensued. Our house sale fell apart at closing, we moved out and then back in, I got some unexpected and distressing results from my yearly blood work, etc. I spent the end of March drinking lots of red wine and pretty much made sugar my best friend for the month of April.

In general, I would say that I am about 95% Paleo all the time. I do not eat dairy with the exception of ghee and other than the odd birthday party or special event I only eat natural sugars. The 5% that doesn't fit is that I eat commercial bbq sauce (lots), for special events (birthdays/anniversaries/etc) I bake gluten free cake usually though sometimes grain free, I have alcohol about once a week (usually wine or gin, not so bad except for the tonic) and here is the big one-- I seem to have a problem with sharing my gluten-free but not Paleo husband's evening popcorn. It has become an almost nightly occurrence.

I was thinking about re-trying Whole 30 for May when I saw this post, so the extra support will be helpful. The hardest thing for me last time was breakfast (I cannot eat eggs everyday or I will find myself divorced--tmi?) and added sugars. I live on bbq sauce and without sugar it is just spicy tomato sauce. Hmm. maybe I should try that.

I am coming armed with a Pinterest-load of Whole 30 breakfast recipes and I am paying my co-workers to smack me if I whine about sugar. Sweetie has been warned not to share the popcorn. I will not swear that I won't have wine at my monthly dinner party with the girls, but I'll try to leave some in the bottle. I also don't worry about the "Paleofying" of foods because at some point you can't stress so much on the small stuff that you miss the big picture. If my Paleo pizza ingredients fit the Whole 30 then I don't see the difference in eating them individually or in pizza form. Maybe this isn't good for everyone, but it works for me because I really can't go back to my old pizza eating ways (gluten and dairy intolerant).
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    I just found a Whole 30 bbq sauce recipe that actually looks good. Now I'm set.
  • SteamClutch
    I will miss my dark chocolate but it will be there when I finish so I have that to look forward to.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    I'm in. I tried my first Whole 30 back in March. It did not go well. The first week or two were fine, and then craziness ensued. Our house sale fell apart at closing, we moved out and then back in, I got some unexpected and distressing results from my yearly blood work, etc. I spent the end of March drinking lots of red wine and pretty much made sugar my best friend for the month of April.

In general, I would say that I am about 95% Paleo all the time. I do not eat dairy with the exception of ghee and other than the odd birthday party or special event I only eat natural sugars. The 5% that doesn't fit is that I eat commercial bbq sauce (lots), for special events (birthdays/anniversaries/etc) I bake gluten free cake usually though sometimes grain free, I have alcohol about once a week (usually wine or gin, not so bad except for the tonic) and here is the big one-- I seem to have a problem with sharing my gluten-free but not Paleo husband's evening popcorn. It has become an almost nightly occurrence.

I was thinking about re-trying Whole 30 for May when I saw this post, so the extra support will be helpful. The hardest thing for me last time was breakfast (I cannot eat eggs everyday or I will find myself divorced--tmi?) and added sugars. I live on bbq sauce and without sugar it is just spicy tomato sauce. Hmm. maybe I should try that.

I am coming armed with a Pinterest-load of Whole 30 breakfast recipes and I am paying my co-workers to smack me if I whine about sugar. Sweetie has been warned not to share the popcorn. I will not swear that I won't have wine at my monthly dinner party with the girls, but I'll try to leave some in the bottle. I also don't worry about the "Paleofying" of foods because at some point you can't stress so much on the small stuff that you miss the big picture. If my Paleo pizza ingredients fit the Whole 30 then I don't see the difference in eating them individually or in pizza form. Maybe this isn't good for everyone, but it works for me because I really can't go back to my old pizza eating ways (gluten and dairy intolerant).

Be weary of pinterest whole 30 recipes as lots of them are not actually whole 30 approved..I am sure I saw a post about this topic recently on their whole 30 Facebook page
  • SteamClutch
    I hear we are not supposed to log or weigh ourselves during this month too. Not sure why we are not supposed to but I am going to try the whole package and not log which is smacking at my OCD a bit but I will weigh tomorrow in the morning and be done. Otherwise I will be active in the forums and such and will be generally in the neighborhood.
  • I hear we are not supposed to log or weigh ourselves during this month too. Not sure why we are not supposed to but I am going to try the whole package and not log which is smacking at my OCD a bit but I will weigh tomorrow in the morning and be done. Otherwise I will be active in the forums and such and will be generally in the neighborhood.

I will not weigh myself, but I will be logging my food (just to keep myself in check).

Red
  • mslisatm
    mslisatm Posts: 154 Member
    I am interested too as I am signed up for the Whole Life Challenge for May but the Whole 30 should cross reference this as well. I will be interesting to see how they are similar and differ...Im going toward paleo anyway :) Does the Whole 30 cost anything? Ill do a little research.