New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm Courtney and I was diagnosed with Type II about two weeks ago. I currently take 500 mg Metformin twice a day. I also have autoimmune hypothyroidism, which has been acting up terribly. My fasting glucose was 275. Horrible! I have two young boys (5 and 3) and I had a nice long talk with myself about how I want to be around for all of the fun things coming up (graduations, weddings, grandchildren). I joined MFP as a way to track calories and carbs so that I can manage my weight. I currently exercise about 2-3 times a week by walking. I struggle to fit this into my day, but I am finding options that will work with my busy schedule.

My fasting sugars are still horrible. I was at 146 today. I do feel good about lowering it by over 100 points in the past two weeks, but I'm frustrated about it at the same time. I hope to learn a lot here and find some supportive friends too :)
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hello everyone, I'm Jena. I've been Type 2 since 2005 with a lot of ups and downs between then and now. I've recently been on the biggest down yet, and my last A1C was over 11. I stopped checking my sugars and ignored my diet. I work full-time and am also a full-time student, so I've used that as an excuse for the last year. I'm tired of feeling awful all the time, and afraid of what will happen to me if I don't shape up, so I've renewed my efforts and started using MFP to help me keep track of my diet and meal times.

I'm interested in finding other super-busy people to inspire me and share their tips for staying on track amidst the chaos!

Hi Jena, Welcome!

Having been diagnosed T2 in the early 80's, I can relate to the emotional ups and downs this condition brings with it. Managing T2D requires a 24/7 commitment and isn't an easy task for most of us.

It's great your embracing the need for change and make improvements towards living a healthier lifestyle.
    You'll quickly find this group to be genuinely supportive and encouraging by answering any question you have through sharing their knowledgeable first hand experiences living with this oftentimes "chaotic" and unpredictable condition.

Wishing you success and good health!

Bob
  • bdubya55
    Hello everyone! I'm Courtney and I was diagnosed with Type II about two weeks ago. I currently take 500 mg Metformin twice a day. I also have autoimmune hypothyroidism, which has been acting up terribly. My fasting glucose was 275. Horrible! I have two young boys (5 and 3) and I had a nice long talk with myself about how I want to be around for all of the fun things coming up (graduations, weddings, grandchildren). I joined MFP as a way to track calories and carbs so that I can manage my weight. I currently exercise about 2-3 times a week by walking. I struggle to fit this into my day, but I am finding options that will work with my busy schedule.

My fasting sugars are still horrible. I was at 146 today. I do feel good about lowering it by over 100 points in the past two weeks, but I'm frustrated about it at the same time. I hope to learn a lot here and find some supportive friends too :)

Hi Courtney, welcome and glad you've found our corner of myfitnesspal!

Sorry to learn your hypothyroid condition is causing you unwanted horrible experiences. Seems to me, throwing a diagnosis of T2D on top of the hypothyroidism must be an additional stressful experience for you too.

By joining the myfitnesspal site and using it's powerful tracking program, you've made a great decision towards in improving your blood sugars management goals moving forward. It's also wonderful you've set time a side for yourself to fit in walking 2-3 times a week too, not an easy task I imagine having two young boys to care for.

bloodsugar101.com- is a great resource to help answer some of the many questions and concerns you might have.

Additionally, this support group is very knowledgeable, genuinely supportive and encouraging-eager to share their experiences on what's worked-and hasn't worked for them. Have a look around here and ask questions.

I welcome the opportunity to be of help whenever possible.

Bob
  • Hello all, my name is Terry. I was just recently diagnosed T2 and am not currently on any meds, did try Metformin about a year ago but I had serious problems with it so, Dr. wants to try changing diet and exercise first (ugh). I did get a Onetouch Ultra 2 meter that I have been using once a day in the morning before I eat.

My A1C was 6.0 recently -- down from 7.0 3 months or so ago. I have laid off most of the sweets and sugar soft drinks and am using the Nutribullet to get more fruits and veggies into the diet. I am still having high readings in the morning before I eat. This is all so new and confusing. Dr is supposed to get me in with Diabetic education but he takes awhile to set these things up.

My fasting sugars have been as low as 109 and as high as 169 this week ... no idea why such a big difference. I have started back on myfitnesspal to help me track my food better. I could also stand to loose about 80 pounds but I tend to be pretty sedentary. I did recently purchase and read the Diabetic Bible which did explain alot about what's happening but I think I need to re-read it because it seems like a lot to take in.

Anybody who would want to be friends and walk this road together would be welcome.
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member

Courtney, I am hypothyroid as well, so I definitely feel the pain of trying to keep both conditions in check! It's been a long and cold winter here and with hypothyroidism, my skin is so dry and itchy I am scratching myself to death.
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    My name is Beata :bigsmile: from Melbourne AU:bigsmile: and I was diagnosed as a Type 2.:bigsmile:
    I am first Diabetic in our entire family. There are so many things I need to learn about my condition.
    First of all will have to change my lifestyle.
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    hello everyone im 27 yr old and i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when i was pregnant with my daughter my blood surgars are in control not currently taking any meds my a1c is not high but id rather control my food intake instead of medicine was on insulin when i was pregnant feel free to add me
  • bdubya55
    Hello all, my name is Terry. I was just recently diagnosed T2 and am not currently on any meds, did try Metformin about a year ago but I had serious problems with it so, Dr. wants to try changing diet and exercise first (ugh). I did get a Onetouch Ultra 2 meter that I have been using once a day in the morning before I eat.

My A1C was 6.0 recently -- down from 7.0 3 months or so ago. I have laid off most of the sweets and sugar soft drinks and am using the Nutribullet to get more fruits and veggies into the diet. I am still having high readings in the morning before I eat. This is all so new and confusing. Dr is supposed to get me in with Diabetic education but he takes awhile to set these things up.

My fasting sugars have been as low as 109 and as high as 169 this week ... no idea why such a big difference. I have started back on myfitnesspal to help me track my food better. I could also stand to loose about 80 pounds but I tend to be pretty sedentary. I did recently purchase and read the Diabetic Bible which did explain alot about what's happening but I think I need to re-read it because it seems like a lot to take in.

Anybody who would want to be friends and walk this road together would be welcome.

Welcome Terry!

A diagnosis of diabetes can be for many very overwhelming when initially diagnosed. Sorry to hear you had serious problems taking Metformin. If you had uncomfortable gastric issues associated with the regular version-some find by taking the extended release version find it to be more tolerable.

You've already made changes that's great. I too have a nutribullet and enjoy the various concoctions I find myself coming up with.
    It's great you've sought out the help of a diabetes education course from your doctor-as many people find these classes to be very helpful.

It's not uncommon for many of us to experience higher morning numbers due to dawn phenomenon and its effects upon waking.
    For more information about DP follow the link below.

http://bloodsugar101.com/

Good luck and best wishes!
  • bdubya55
    My name is Beata :bigsmile: from Melbourne AU:bigsmile: and I was diagnosed as a Type 2.:bigsmile:
    I am first Diabetic in our entire family. There are so many things I need to learn about my condition.
    First of all will have to change my lifestyle.

G'day Beata, Welcome, nice to meet you!:drinker:

I too am the only person in my family to be diagnosed diabetic. Yep there is much to learn. Yep you'll need to make changes to your eating habits and make some lifestyle changes too. Changing past habits and adopting new habits for many of us wasn't an easy task when initially diagnosed. Developing new habits requires time, patience and determination while recognizing we're human and perfection doesn't exist. Improvement does.

Information is power and one of the best tools we have in self managing diabetes.

http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/

Best wishes towards you success and good health!

Bob
  • bdubya55
    hello everyone im 27 yr old and i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when i was pregnant with my daughter my blood surgars are in control not currently taking any meds my a1c is not high but id rather control my food intake instead of medicine was on insulin when i was pregnant feel free to add me

Hi Dj, welcome to the type 2 diabetic support group and our little corner of myfitnesspal!

Glad to hear your blood sugars are in control and that your A1C test results show you're within acceptable range levels currently too.

This program really does work when applied honestly and correctly. I find by reducing or eliminating white starchy foods like white bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and cereals to make the greatest impact on improving my blood sugars.

Glad you've joined us. This is a great community group. Eager to offer genuine support and encouragement in an effort to help each other out.

Best wishes for your successful journey in meeting and exceeding your goals and expectations.

Bob
  • dreamingowl77
    dreamingowl77 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello I am Vickie and I have had T2 since about 2006. Right now I am on Lantus, Novolog at meal times if needed and Bydureon.
    At this time my levels have clamed down and leveled off but I am still in need of losing weight. My job introduced me to this site and I am a brand ne user.

Thanks

Vickie
  • debcast
    debcast Posts: 4
    Hi I am Debbie and new to this group. Last year I found out I had T2, a A1C of 9.8 and first stage kidney damage. I am on a max does of Metformin and 5 mg a day of Trajenta. I have lost about 30 lbs, my A1C is now 6.2 and my creatinine levels are now normal. I still need to loss another 40 lbs but I am happy that my blood sugar levels are now under control.
  • bdubya55
    Hello I am Vickie and I have had T2 since about 2006. Right now I am on Lantus, Novolog at meal times if needed and Bydureon.
    At this time my levels have clamed down and leveled off but I am still in need of losing weight. My job introduced me to this site and I am a brand ne user.

Thanks

Vickie

Hi Vickie. welcome!

I use Lantus and Novolog insulin therapies too. I'm gad to know your blood sugar management is "leveling off." As you know, this requires a lot of time and patience.

It's great you've found myfitnesspal based on a recommendation from your co-workers. This program when applied honestly and correctly really does work.

This community is very knowledgeable and genuinely supportive and very encouraging too.

Best wshes on your journey to a healthier lifestyle!

Bob
  • bdubya55
    Hi I am Debbie and new to this group. Last year I found out I had T2, a A1C of 9.8 and first stage kidney damage. I am on a max does of Metformin and 5 mg a day of Trajenta. I have lost about 30 lbs, my A1C is now 6.2 and my creatinine levels are now normal. I still need to loss another 40 lbs but I am happy that my blood sugar levels are now under control.

Welcome Debbie!

Congratulations on your weight loss progress and improvements to your creatinine and A1C levels too!

I'm also concerned with my microalbumin lab results, as they've been elevated beyond normal ranges in the past. The good news is by keeping my blood sugars within a more normal to near normal range, my creatinine levels have returned to acceptable levels.

With out any doubt in my mind, myfitnesspal and its powerful tracking program has been an invaluable tool towards my success.

Best Wishes towards your success and good health!

I welcome any opportunity to help you whenever possible.

Bob
  • tweetsmom
    tweetsmom Posts: 31 Member
    Hi, my name is Gail. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes two weeks ago. I have had PCOS for years along with hypothyroidism, two grandmothers with the disease (one of whom lost a leg), so I knew it was only a matter of time before the official diagnosis. Needless to say, it still freaked me out. Wasn't really thinking it would arrive so soon (I'm 42) but now that it has, losing weight and taking care of myself are no longer an option, but rather a necessity. My husband is my biggest supporter and has pledged to eat better with me. We will see how long that lasts! LOL

My A1C was 131, not terrible, but not at the desired 100 or less my doctor wants me at. So I'm religiously logging my food in MFP and watching my carbs, trying to stay within 40-65 g per meal. I have a very stressful 40+ hour a week job, so I haven't figured out where to add in more exercise, but will work on that next. I will be scheduling a meeting with a diabetes educator that is covered by my employer's wellness program so that I can be successful at managing this. I currently take 500 mg. Metformin once daily. My goal is to stick with that dose hopefully. I'm testing twice daily at various times of the day for the next 3 weeks, then return to the doctor to review my "pattern" to decide on my management plan. I've been reading everything I can. I love to bake, which will be my biggest adjustment to make, but I usually bake for others so I just need to make sure I'm not sampling too much during the baking process! Looking forward to learning more from other MFP members, so feel free to share your ideas with me! :smile:
  • bdubya55
    Hi Gail, Welcome!

A diagnosis of diabetes brings with it wide range of emotions for many at first, along with having to emotionally manage any other health conditions we have. By taking your diagnosis seriously you have a great attitude. It's great you have your husbands pledged support in your corner too.

The good news is-with a lot of patience and determintion this condition (is) treatable. You're already finding the value in using myfitnesspals' powerful tracking program tool to help you and your husband make healthier food choices moving forward. This program really does work when applied correctly.

Meeting with a diabetes educator will also help to steer you in the right direction. Many newly diagnosed find these sessions to be very beneficial.

By testing before meals and 2 hours after meals lets us know what affects if any the food choices we've made had on our blood sugars. Armed with this information, you may find the need to adjust portion sizes or eliminate some choices altogether.

For many of us eating processed foods, white starchy carbohydrate foods-to include bread, rice, potatoes and pasta for many of us will spike our blood sugars, as we are by definition carbohydrate intolerant.

One of the most frustrating issues living with this condition is, it's a very individualistic journey, meaning each of us is unique in how our bodies react to the foods we eat, in addition to any blood sugar lowering medications we take.

bloodsugar101.com- is a great online resource designed to help and answer any questions you have in addition to easing any confusion or frustration you may experience.

This is a great and active group-eager to share their knowledge and experiences on what has worked and hasn't worked for them in the past-sharing an occasional rant along the way living with this condition.

Wishing you success and good health!

Bob
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Hi all! So lets see - I was diagnosed as a T2D when I turned 40. I wasn't surprised really. I had been very reckless with my diet so I kinda asked for it.

Regardless, I've been working on living with T2D for about 5 years now and have been up and down on my control of T2D.

Well at the end of last year I started seeing my morning numbers going over 200 regularly and realized I needed to take action. Went to the doctor and had an A1c done. Came back at 9.9%. Way higher than the normal 7% I had maintained for 4 years.

The doctor put me on Januvia (plus all the other meds I've been taking). Over the next 3 months I still wasn't taking things seriously enough. I did notice that the Januvia at least kept my morning readings under 200 (barely) and guess I thought that was good enough. Well just did a 3 month diabetes check and the A1c only dropped to 9.4%. The doctor basically said I was about 3 months from having to start insulin.

If anything has gotten my attention - THAT WAS IT!!! For the past 7 days I've been using MFP and been paying close attention to my carbs. I've managed to drop them to the max 30 per meal/15 per snack and am now seeing morning readings in the 120 range. I don't even remember the last time they were that low.

I've come to the conclusion that I have already eaten my lifetime supply of cake, donuts, brownies and all those other high carb, sugary foods. My wife said I wasn't eating like a diabetic and she was right. I was out of control.

Anyway, since becoming motivated by the fear of insulin injections, I feel a true change in perspective I never had before. The trick will be maintaining focus. That always seems to be my problem. So I'm hoping to become more engages with the MFP community as a motivational technique to stay focused on a healthy lifestyle.

I look forward to getting to know you all as we work together to become healthier!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Stopping in to say howdy, as I'm new to the group. I was diagnosed with T2D several years ago, and have been on a roller-coaster of denial since. My recent blood-work showed my A1C at 10.5 (wake up call), so I am on Metformin and finally got through the upset stomach and nausea feelings. My eating plan can be compared to Paleo, but a lower carb version. I know it will be a journey and I would like some friends that wouldn’t mind providing support and I will reciprocate.

Felicia
  • MEGSWY
    MEGSWY Posts: 2
    Hi Holly!

I was diagnosed last year too! Pinterest has been a very useful tool for me. I follow Diabetic Living and several individuals who post diabetic-friendly recipes. I found when I was first diagnosed that I wasn't eating crazy amounts of carbs, but I was eating too many of those at night. It was explained to me that I was having craving because I wasn't eating throughout the day. I've also found an appreciation for tofu. I got so sick of eating nuts that I found a recipe for marniated tofu that I take with me to snack on during the afternoon.

I used Fitness Pal to track my calories and carbs. I started off walking and wasn't seeing enough change in my weight. I started a Couch to 5K program and posted my progress on Facebook. My friends were so supportive and it kept me going because they would ask about my progress. I am not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. Running a 5K from start to finish was such a high!

Feel free to friend me if you'd like!

Meg
  • bdubya55
    Hi all! So lets see - I was diagnosed as a T2D when I turned 40. I wasn't surprised really. I had been very reckless with my diet so I kinda asked for it.

Regardless, I've been working on living with T2D for about 5 years now and have been up and down on my control of T2D.

Well at the end of last year I started seeing my morning numbers going over 200 regularly and realized I needed to take action. Went to the doctor and had an A1c done. Came back at 9.9%. Way higher than the normal 7% I had maintained for 4 years.

The doctor put me on Januvia (plus all the other meds I've been taking). Over the next 3 months I still wasn't taking things seriously enough. I did notice that the Januvia at least kept my morning readings under 200 (barely) and guess I thought that was good enough. Well just did a 3 month diabetes check and the A1c only dropped to 9.4%. The doctor basically said I was about 3 months from having to start insulin.

If anything has gotten my attention - THAT WAS IT!!! For the past 7 days I've been using MFP and been paying close attention to my carbs. I've managed to drop them to the max 30 per meal/15 per snack and am now seeing morning readings in the 120 range. I don't even remember the last time they were that low.

I've come to the conclusion that I have already eaten my lifetime supply of cake, donuts, brownies and all those other high carb, sugary foods. My wife said I wasn't eating like a diabetic and she was right. I was out of control.

Anyway, since becoming motivated by the fear of insulin injections, I feel a true change in perspective I never had before. The trick will be maintaining focus. That always seems to be my problem. So I'm hoping to become more engages with the MFP community as a motivational technique to stay focused on a healthy lifestyle.

I look forward to getting to know you all as we work together to become healthier!

Hello mrron, Welcome!

Well you've gotten your wake up call, as I had many times over the years-and can relate to what you've experienced in the past-when attempting to manage this condition. Successful management requires a lot of time, patience and determination and as you said focus too.

The good news is you've found an awareness now on what needs to be done to achieve your goals for better blood sugar management and your moving forward now. Wonderful! The myfitnesspal program has been an invaluable tool towards my weight loss and blood sugar management success.

This is a great community, eager to help you in your efforts whenever possible through sharing our experiences.

Wishing you all the success and good health you deserve!