So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Being skinny is lacking muscle, so no it's not worth being skinny. It is however worth being lean.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Healthy, active, toned and within a "normal body" weight for my height would feel magnificent.... can't wait to obtain that goal.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have such high hopes for how much better I will feel without the extra weight, but is it actually worth it? Does life then become less enjoyable because we're not quite as free-spirited when it comes to eating food?

Life is good being skinny! Feels good. Looks good. Energizes one in a good way.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    YES THIS(is my goal too):
    I tried be skinny before many times and hit goal and then put it all back on plus some many times....now my goal is be healthy and fit and skinny is just an added bonus and yes it is worth it and I have every intention of remaining healthy and fit with the added bonus of being skinny!
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    I guess you have to ask yourself, is food your life?

I am doing this because i would rather my life be about strength, fitness, energy, experiences rather then my life be around stuffing my face with food that restricts me. i want food to only be fuel and that's it.

So i guess it depends, if someone is a chef or a foodie i would understand that it's important but for me i don't want my life to evolve around it
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    I've been there done that (being skinny) now 6 yrs later , lifestyle has changed my thought have changed, I look back and realise it was a image thing ! And I wasn't being me! I'm now 10 kilos heavier ( lol not pregnant of course ) and can enjoy life a little more and not have to threat if I miss a workout session or obsess about what I'm eating and how much. My body type is not skinny unfortunately.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Losing 30 pounds has been a game changer for me. I'm now a mindful eater, happy to get out an exercise (unhappy when I can't) and actually enjoy trying on clothes at the store. I don't huff and puff with physical exertion like I used to...very few pains in feet like I used to have...less aches overall. I'd rather be sore from a good work out than hurting because I'm sedentary!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    PhotoFunia-4e4654Custom.jpg

I think so. And it's not just being skinny. It's size 29 pants and cholesterol 135 and being able to run 10K without stopping....at the age of 52
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    bump for more replies
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    I think it is. More confidence, health and much much more.
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    Being fit and HEALTHY is more important than being skinny. Because being skinny doesn't mean you are healthy. Regular exercise, 30 minutes a day, regular dr visits, good mental health, and a positive outlook in life are the keys to being healthy and happy, not the numbers on a scale or the size of your jeans.
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    I "cheat" here and there, and that actually helps me stay on track. If I go out for the evening (I don't do it very much because my girls are really young), I try to make better choices than I used to but I'm still going to enjoy myself, and for me, that means good food and beer. I will say that I am a lot happier counting calories at 25 or so pounds lighter than I was last year at my heaviest weight eating whatever I wanted. I have more energy. I feel more confident. I enjoy being active with my husband and kids. Counting calories has become a habit. I take that habit over being fat any day of the week.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    My ultimate goal was never to be skinny. It was originally to lose excess weight because my doctor's told me that it was impacting my joints and causing unnecessary wear and tear. I also wanted to lower my blood pressure, since it was starting to be high for the first time in my life, and I didn't want to resort to medications to do that. I have lost 50 lbs, and in the process the importance has definitely shifted to being mainly about health and not so much about weight.

I have a special needs child and want to be around for her as long as possible. I want to be able to chase her when she runs off. I want to run without getting winded and overly fatigued.

So being healthy and fit is worth it. I think if that is your ultimate goal, and not just seeing numbers drop on a scale, you will be making changes along the way so that maintenance isn't difficult at all. By that point, it will be a new way of life and your relationship with food should have changed.
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    I loved reading this post, great thoughts from everyone.
    I miss being thin and what I miss most about being thin is how active I used to be, how great it was to just be able to go into a store and buy clothes off the rack, eat things without counting calories because I was active. There are so many simple things that I don't like to do because my "fat suit" gets in the way. I grew up thin, not skinny but healthy and active, and I didn't put my weight on until my mid thirties. I don't like the way my body looks, how it gets in the way, and how it makes it uncomfortable to sit and sleep. I don't associate my overweight body with poor self image. I don't like the way my body is right now and I want to get it back to being trim and healthy. It's about feeling better, being comfortable, and getting healthy again.
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    I know someone who lost weight and maintained it for a bit, but then realized he wasn't able to enjoy life as much. He sort of thought "life is too short to be worrying about being thin". He has gained back the weight and now is a jolly, older man with no regrets regarding his lifestyle.

Everyone is different.

It sounds like he reached his goal, then got to the point where he realized that he couldn't just relax and eat the "cheeseburger" he wanted whenever he wanted. That's cool and all, and up to every individual if you're able to weigh the consequences and all (meeting your desires versus remaining healthy and all that)...

As for me, I had been up and down on a 75 pound roller coaster three or four times with different diets and attempts, so I get it. When I was at 327, I was miserably unhealthy but happy to eat whatever I wanted. When I was at 250, I was unhappy that I couldn't be at 200, and unhappy that I couldn't just have the "cheeseburger" whenever I wanted.

It's a trade-off, so I get it...

Now, after my health started failing en-masse, I made the decision that I couldn't do it on my own and went the Roux-en-Y route. My various health issues are subsiding. I'm back down at 255 and dropping, and I'm never truly hungry (physically) which is -- so far -- exactly what I needed.

My only remaining hurdle is the mental cravings that hit me whenever someone nearby is eating something yummy.

Wayne
  • Being thin worth it, yea id your also healthy, and its a lifestyle change, your body gets use to healthy to the point where the sugar in a peice of fruit can take the place where cake once stood. Iv been anorexic and 107 pound and was MISERABLE then Iv been heavier at 150 and again MISERABLE now I am 125, excersize and eat right and am the happiest with my body I have ever been. I have two children and I plan to be around for them and the first step in doing so is taking care of me. Just My Opinion.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    I couldn't be skinny if I tried. I'm naturally built too big and too muscly. However I can be fit and toned and tbh that would suit my lifestyle better as I actually like to eat food.
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Being FIT is worth it!!! Nothing to do with skinny. I started this journey wanting to not be morbidly obese and now I'm in the gym 5 times a week flipping tires and box jumping. I found my healthy coping mechanism and it's lifting weights for me! I look forward to the gym every day now. It's all about how you think. Change your mind and you change your life.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    I didn't do the weight loss to be skinny :) I started having back pains and could barely walk down the street or do anything without pain. It was more of a wake up call than the other problems that I had from the weight - the diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc - you name a weight complication, I had it

I originally would have been happy under the 200 lb mark - but now? No diabetes meds, no cholesterol meds, no more sleep apnea. I just take 1/2 of a pill (as opposed to 3) for my blood pressure.

I eat better and with more variety than before I started the weight loss - I do eat out less often, but the food I cook generally tastes better to me anyway and cooking at home is better on my wallet, so that is an added bonus as I have more to spend on other things.

I do pick and choose food more carefully now and with some thought - but I would say being healthy is worth it (not necessarily being skinny)
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    I didn't do the weight loss to be skinny :) I started having back pains and could barely walk down the street or do anything without pain. It was more of a wake up call than the other problems that I had from the weight - the diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc - you name a weight complication, I had it

I originally would have been happy under the 200 lb mark - but now? No diabetes meds, no cholesterol meds, no more sleep apnea. I just take 1/2 of a pill (as opposed to 3) for my blood pressure.

I eat better and with more variety than before I started the weight loss - I do eat out less often, but the food I cook generally tastes better to me anyway and cooking at home is better on my wallet, so that is an added bonus as I have more to spend on other things.

I do pick and choose food more carefully now and with some thought - but I would say being healthy is worth it (not necessarily being skinny)
    I am soooooo damn proud of you!!!!!! You are such an inspiration!!!! Don't you ever stop!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!