Body Pump vs. Strong Lift 5x5

Hello!
I just started trying to lift heavy in late March. I lift at home and don't quite have all the equipment I need to do strong lifts yet (i.e a bench). I have weights and a bar. So I have been using Youtube to do body pump videos. I am looking to reduce fat and tone, would not mind at all if the number on the scale goes down as well. Just saw someone's 90 day results on here from strong lifts and it has me wondering can I get the same results from body pump? Can body pump yield the same results as strong lifts 5X5 or should I be working harder to get all the equipment I need for strong lifts?

Replies

• hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    I actually have the same question. The gym I attend has BodyPump classes which I go to regularly (which I absolutely love!), and I would like to hear opinions about this class.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    I've taken a few Body Pump classes and they seemed to be focused more on lower weights/higher reps. I didn't find them challenging enough and should have upped my weight. It felt like a Barbie weight class to me, but I also am not a fan of classes at the gym, so I am biased.

I don't think Body Pump would give you the same results that a program like Stronglifts 5x5 will. I started Stronglifts about a month ago and I noticed changes in my body pretty quickly. Higher weight/lower reps will produce more noticeable results. To lose fat, all you need to do is eat at a deficit, and lifting heavy will give you more "tone" than body pump probably would.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    No you won't get the same results from Body Pump that you do from Stronglifts.

Body Pump is lower weight/higher rep and it has a aerobic component that's going to make it more difficult to get the progressive overload like you do with Stronglifts.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    I've gotten pretty good results with Body Pump. I think It's just a matter of finding what you like, what works for you and making it a good habit
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    No you won't get the same results from Body Pump that you do from Stronglifts.

Body Pump is lower weight/higher rep and it has a aerobic component that's going to make it more difficult to get the progressive overload like you do with Stronglifts.

^This
  • IAmPersuaded
    IAmPersuaded Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks everyone for replying! I am going to save up for the rest of the equipment and go all in! Strong lifts here I come!
  • IAmPersuaded
    Hello!
    I just started trying to lift heavy in late March. I lift at home and don't quite have all the equipment I need to do strong lifts yet (i.e a bench). I have weights and a bar. So I have been using Youtube to do body pump videos. I am looking to reduce fat and tone, would not mind at all if the number on the scale goes down as well. Just saw someone's 90 day results on here from strong lifts and it has me wondering can I get the same results from body pump? Can body pump yield the same results as strong lifts 5X5 or should I be working harder to get all the equipment I need for strong lifts?

If body sculpting is your goal then bodypump will not yield you the desired results as fast as stronglifts plus your calorie deficit.
    Bodypump is more useful in building muscle endurance for performing everyday labors without burning out as easily.

Thanks...that really makes sense to me! Sculpting is definitely what I want!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    I've done both and I've received excellent results. It depends more on the training style you like. I prefer to train on my own at the gym.

I started with bodypump and moved up to the 5x5 program. I believe that bodypump will give you a great foundation, especially if you are new to lifting.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me with any specific questions you may have.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I go to Body Pump classes because I don't like exercising by myself. My instructor is super fit and works along with us rather than just telling us what to do. I was just traveling for three weeks so Friday I'm going to have to go a little lighter on the weights. I can definitely see muscle definitiion without being overly built up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    oooy....

um body pump is cardio with weights.

Strong lifts is a progressive lifting program.

it's like comparing apples to ground hogs.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Body Pump is an intense cardio routine.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner strength program.

Different goals, different techniques, different results.

If you're body sculpting (really, muscle sculpting), start by getting a good foundation in strength, using a program like Stronglifts. Then move to a specialized sculpting program, which needs to be tailored to your specific strengths and weaknesses. You need to be pretty strong to take on a decent sculpting program.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I should clarify-- I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't do Body Pump if you enjoy it or that you won't get any results from it. I'm just saying that it's a completely different thing than Stronglifts and the results will reflect that.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    I don't know anything about Body Pump, but I do know that with SL 5x5 or any kind of lifting program you need to be vigilant of your diet. Eat too little and you will not gain strength or muscle. That will have a definite effect on your recovery. Eat too much and you will learn that you can not out train a bad diet. Heavy, high volume lifting can and will leave you as hungry as a teen age football player. Which is why I am now using MFP to take some unwanted weight back off. I began on SL5x5 then moved on to Madcow, Wendler's 531, Texas Method and then to Sheiko over the course of a few years with some solid gains on the barbell. Bottom line is to know that lifting is greatly beneficial, but if you do not watch your diet, you can get heavier. You will obviously be more solid, but the numbers on the scale will not be going down for you, or at least not as fast as you might like it to.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I don't know anything about Body Pump, but I do know that with SL 5x5 or any kind of lifting program you need to be vigilant of your diet. Eat too little and you will not gain strength or muscle. That will have a definite effect on your recovery. Eat too much and you will learn that you can not out train a bad diet. Heavy, high volume lifting can and will leave you as hungry as a teen age football player. Which is why I am now using MFP to take some unwanted weight back off. I began on SL5x5 then moved on to Madcow, Wendler's 531, Texas Method and then to Sheiko over the course of a few years with some solid gains on the barbell. Bottom line is to know that lifting is greatly beneficial, but if you do not watch your diet, you can get heavier. You will obviously be more solid, but the numbers on the scale will not be going down for you, or at least not as fast as you might like it to.

that's true of any thing- dieting controls your weight- not working out.

has nothing to do with a lifting program.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member

that's true of any thing- dieting controls your weight- not working out.

has nothing to do with a lifting program.
    I guess to simplify my point is to be aware that a good lifting program can increase your hunger by leaps and bounds. Which can make achieving a goal of just toning more difficult if you are not careful.
  • IAmPersuaded
    I've done both and I've received excellent results. It depends more on the training style you like. I prefer to train on my own at the gym.

I started with bodypump and moved up to the 5x5 program. I believe that bodypump will give you a great foundation, especially if you are new to lifting.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me with any specific questions you may have.
    Yes this does help! I sent you a message!
  • IAmPersuaded
    Yep, I am definitely a beginner...I haven't even heard of those other programs. :-) Looking forward to years of lifting! Good point about the eating right, working on that too!
  • IAmPersuaded

um body pump is cardio with weights.
    Good way to describe it...
  • IAmPersuaded
    I should clarify-- I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't do Body Pump if you enjoy it or that you won't get any results from it. I'm just saying that it's a completely different thing than Stronglifts and the results will reflect that.

I understood what you were saying. :-) I really enjoy Body Pump but I do believe stronglifts is my next route to get the results I want to see in my body. By the way I found your profile very inspiring. Maybe once I start to see some improvement I might fill mine out.:-)