Introduce Yourself

Replies

• lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Hi, my name is Lauren and I am 21 years old. I'm a full-time student with one more year left (yes!). Last year, I used to run literally all the time for hours on end. However, I became burned out and told myself I was just going to take a week off from it---fast forward 6+ months with hardly running. I miss it and am hoping to get back into running; I have a goal of running a half-marathon later this year.
  • MrsSp00ns
    MrsSp00ns Posts: 17 Member
    Hi :smile:

I'm Cath. I'm 35, live in the UK, work full time and have two young children (one at nursery the eldest in reception class), which leaves me with lots of spare time!. I took up running in Jan 2013 as I wanted to get fitter and for my kids to grow up seeing that exercising is the norm. My first race was a half marathon as my 10k was postponed until the week after the half.

I did the Great North Run in September 2013 2 hours 27. Slow by most runners standards but I was really pleased! I'm doing another half marathon on 11 May 2014 and hope my persistent cough that wrote off my last long run makes a disappearance by then. I'm aiming to simply get round as this half (it is defined as undulating and there are no hills where I live) :sick: .

I'm running the half in memory of someone who inspired my mum into running which in turn inspired me. He passed away this year aged just 43 from cancer. It was a huge shock as it happened relatively quickly and he was very healthy (he had done a full ironman). :cry:

I'm also toying with the idea of doing a full marathon at the end of September this year. Well, actually I've entered it but haven't convinced myself that I will be able to do it yet. I will get in some longer runs, follow a training plan and just see how it goes!
  • katwinfree
    katwinfree Posts: 76 Member
    Hi! I'm Kathryn from Virginia. I'm 36 and am a Mom to an almost 4 year old little princess. I began running in 2009 and have run on and off since then. I have done a handful of 10k's and one half marathon last November. I had to take some time off from running in Jan and now try to run 4 days a week. I am doing another half in Nov and I hope to one day qualify for the Boston Marathon. Hope to reach my goal of 50 miles this month!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Hey everyone!

Thanks for the invite!!

I am Maggie and I'm 46. I started running last year and completed C25K. I walked my first ever 5K and LOVED it. Then I got sidelined with a nasty heel spur and had to give up exercise altogether in November. Finally got my heel spur under control and I am back to walking and running! I have started walking every other day and back to C25K (started back on week 3) on the other days!

My goal is 50 miles this month and to RUN the same 5K I did last year (it's in July)!
  • holmed90
    holmed90 Posts: 21 Member
    Hi I'm Holly. I'm 23 years old. I used to run a lot in my early teens, but due to multiple injuries I stopped. I then put on quite a lot of weight, and became rather lazy! I started running not long ago - back in September 2013 where I did the Great North Run - my first ever half marathon. I was also luckily enough to have secured a ballot entry to this year's London marathon and so ran my first ever marathon this April. I hadn't done much in between them (I was revising for my medicine finals), and hit training hard for three weeks before injuring my knee pretty badly a month before the marathon. I am now trying to build up my running again slowly this month while watching out for my knee!

My main aims are to get a bit quicker - and probably stick to 10km races!
  • Hey everyone,
    I'm Melanie and I'm 22. I'm super excited about the May challenge. I think it will be great to keep us all on track and motivated. I have run in the past, and recently started again-I love how running makes me feel. I run on the treadmill with running intervals. I plan on tracking all of my miles, including walking. I hope to get to 150 miles in May-Maybe that's a stretch, but we'll see.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Hi I am Angela. I am a beginner runner, roughly 6 months in. I have ran a couple of 5ks, an 8k and 10k thus far. This Fall I have my first half marathon!! Last month I ran 53 miles, my goal for this month is 40 miles. I have an 8k at the end of this month and then I will be concentrating on strength training, but will continue to run to maintain endurance and work on my speed a bit, beginning my tapering phase this month. Training for my half will not start until August, so mileage will be lower until then.

Looking forward to this group and meeting everyone here.
  • My name is Michelle and I've been running about 4-5 years or so. I had a baby 7 months ago and took my entire pregnancy off from running and started back up when he was about 3 months old. I have a half marathon next month and I can't wait! I've done a handful of races from 5ks up to marathons (I've done 3 - Seattle, Eugene, and Vancouver) and hope to add another marathon to the list this coming fall.

Feel free to add me :) Would love some runner friends!
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Hi; I'm Michelle, 45 yo married mom of a 16 yo girl and a 11 yo boy. I started running 2 years ago, after losing 30 lbs by weight training/diet and the lure of running an EPIC with friends called to me. I ran several 5Ks, a 10K and then the EPIC from Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY and had the time of my life!! Suffered a life changing illness and had to take a year off from serious training, but now I'm back in the saddle and training for my first 1/2 in August!! Looking forward to this challenge :) and supporting others on their journey!
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Hi Stan,

Thanks for organizing this group and doing the monthly run challenges.

My name is Sharon and I live in NJ. I run, swim, and bike and I lift weights once a week. I love to do all these activities because it keeps me in shape and I don't get bored just doing one type of exercise. I am doing a Sprint triathlon in September in AC so I continue to "train" all year long. I started doing sprint triathlons last year and I am hooked.

Thanks again!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Hi I'm Fran

Just started running this year. Tried. the C25K program and was hooked. Still a novice runner but run at lest three times a week. This group looks great!!!
  • patriciagrade
    patriciagrade Posts: 67 Member
    Hi there everyone,
    I'm new in the group and I thank you all for being part of such a good community.

I've been in love with running for quite some time now, especially since i started running in groups and with my family!

I'm 41 years old, a mother of two teenagers and struggling with my weight. Running started as a means to an end and ended up being a love that just won't stop!
  • ELM70CA
    ELM70CA Posts: 35 Member
    Hi there :)

I am Erin from Canada. I used to run long ago & really enjoyed it. I struggle with anxiety and running is the one exercise that really helps me manage it, which in turn controls my stress eating. I trained to run 5km using the 5km runner app. I don't have much alone time so I am working on speed for the most part.

I am forgiving, don't criticize and have a good sense of humour. If you want another friend, feel free to add me. Cheers!
  • I run a minimum of 4-5 miles 5 days a week. completed a 1/2 and preparing for my 2nd 1/2 in December! I love running, I did it when I was in school. stop for some 40 years and started back about a year ago.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Hi, I have been running for about 15 months now (I decided to finally take my health seriously when I hit 30, and was just depressed and frustrated with my life, and feeling really down about my body).
    I run about 5 days per week, totally about 25-30 miles per week. Just completed my first half marathon and placed 6th in my division. The only other runs I have done were a couple of 5ks, one I placed third for my division, and one was an untimed "fun" race. I don't enter as many races as I wish I could, due to poverty LOL! (Hey, it's come down to entry fees or new shoes, and the new shoes are going to win every time!)

Hoping to increase my speed for the half-marathon as I have my eye set on another one in the fall and want to set a new PR, and I also want to start increasing my distance to do my first marathon. Taking baby steps :)
  • soonersusie
    soonersusie Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, my name is Susan and I live in Oklahoma City, OK. I am 53 years old and started running two years ago. I originally started because I wanted to lose some weight and gain a healthier lifestyle. I began with the C25K program, ran some 5Ks, 8Ks, and 10Ks, then ran the OKC Memorial Half Marathon in April 2013 and 2014. Just recovered from a stress fracture in my third metasarsal and was unable to run for 6 weeks. I am back up to 3 miles at a 10 - 10:30 min/mile pace. Hope to improve on my pace in the next few months.

I love to run and bike, but this summer will be trying to learn to swim freestyle so that I can enter my first sprint tri by the end of this season or first of next season. Am hoping to get in 50 miles running this month. So far I've only completed 10 miles this month, so I better get busy!
  • kpallo
    kpallo Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, my name is Karry. I am 45 and live outside of Chicago, IL. I have never been a runner until about 3 yrs ago. I was at the heaviest I had ever been in my life. I joined Weight Watchers in 2010 as a start to getting healthy. I could not even walk to the end of the block without breathing heavy. What I have done since May 2010: .....followed WW to loose over 85 lbs. and become a LifeTime Member in July 2011, followed various training programs like couch to 5k and Hal Higdens train for a marathon for beginners to complete the 2012 Chicago Marathon. (That was a bucket list item). I took it slow and steady and practice interval training. Since the Marathon I have sparatically ran and still participate yearly in the Shamrock Shuffle 8k but I kinda fell off the wagon. My goal now is to actually run a 10 min. mile pace. This has haunted me since high school. I was never able to do it for Gym class. I don't know if I will ever do another marathon just because of the time involved in training for it. I ride my horse every day and that cuts into running time; however, but a 1/2 marathon may be in the near future. I really like this group because it allows like minded runners to stay focused on your goals. Thank you for starting this.......RUN ON!!!
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Hi everyone! My name is Leigh, I'm 5 days away from being 26 (!!) and I'm from Murfreesboro, TN (30 miles south east of Nashville...). I used to be an avid runner up until a few years ago when I injured my shoulder. I packed on a bunch of weight, lost most of it, ran again, then gained again. I'm at the beginning of my new journey, and I'm really looking forward to getting back into running. I'm going to start a C25K program and move up to 10K then 1/2 marathon. That's as far as I go. No marathon for me!

I'm really looking forward to participating in this challenge. Thanks for organizing it Stan!!

:smile:
  • Jonesie1012
    Jonesie1012 Posts: 14 Member
    Hello everyone! My name is Ashley. I'm 25 and live in Tulsa, OK. I have never been a big fan of distance running. I was a gymnast growing up and played basketball, volleyball, ran track, and did cheerleading through HS, but even then I never ran more than a mile or two because I had to. I ran short distances in track - 100, 200 & 400 meter sprints, so I never really learned how to pace myself for a distance run. Through my 20s, I have ran off and on, but I've never gotten to a point of consistently running. In April 2013, I finally ran my first and only 5k, but I travel frequently with my job which just brings about easy excuses.

I've gained a significant amount of weight over the past two years since starting this job. While it is very difficult to eat healthy and work out regularly when constantly traveling and living in hotels, I am trying to stop using these as excuses and get back to a healthy lifestyle. I am hoping this monthly running challenge will provide an opportunity for realistic, short-term goals, a forum for motivation and inspiration from others, and a source of accountability. Thanks for organizing this group!!
  • kathym617
    kathym617 Posts: 32 Member
    Hello. I'm Kathy. I live in Boston. I'm a lawyer and mom of 3, ages 5.5, 4, and almost 4 months. Growing up, I hated running. I was a swimmer and very, very fit, but running anything longer than a 50 yard dash made me feel like I was dying. I thought something was wrong with me. It turned out there was - I found out in my early 30s that I had exercise-induced asthma. Add an inhaler, running isn't so bad :) And, amazingly, I've been able to ditch the inhaler, even in my present unfit state.

I ran before getting pregnant with #1, then became a runner between #2 and #3 (my last run was a 4 mile race at 6 months pregnant on Thanksgiving; I also did a 10k at 18 weeks). I've gotten in a few post-baby runs but really want to get myself back into a running habit. Right now, running is a bit ugly, full of huffing and puffing and a massively red face, but I know how much I love running when fitter. So I'm looking forward to this challenge to start rebuilding the habit and get back in shape.